Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deja-vu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Hi guys,

I am sorry if this has been covered before, but i cant seem to find it.

I am about to order an 21.5 iMac and was wondering what upgrade (fusiondrive og I7 cpu) will give the best overall speed perfomance upgrade (and by overall im thinking websurfing, gaming, media editing etc.) ?

Thanks.

Regards,
Martin

Nov 28, 2010
located
Probably the fusion drive, since the storage device is nowadays the slowest component in a computer, which SSDs can remedy partly.

Also know, that for video editing, if that is what "media editing" means for you, an external scratch drive is recommended.

zhandri

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
fusion drive will give you short reaction times and faster booting and app launching etc. this is a no brainer imo if you want to upgrade. this will make your imac run much faster

i7 will give you better performance doing heavy tasks like photo or video editing and rendering etc. but it won't give you better gaming performance

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Fusion drive of course. The i7 will only be noticeable if you do some computationally heavy workloads (like video encoding) all the time.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Fusion drive by a county mile. For example my 2011 MBA with SSD is more snappy and feels quicker in most tasks then our HDD driven Mac Pros at work.

Miguel Cunha

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Braga, Portugal
Regarding Video Editing

Probably the fusion drive, since the storage device is nowadays the slowest component in a computer, which SSDs can remedy partly.

Also know, that for video editing, if that is what "media editing" means for you, an external scratch drive is recommended.

Hello!

I'm considering to buy the iMac 27" for the company I work in video editing.
I just didn't figure out how does Fusion Drive works.
I use of course, an external drive for media files.
The question lies when I export to file.

with an SSD I have the writing speed issue covered, but I'm not so sure in the case of the Fusion Drive.
Will the exported file be written in the SSD or in the HDD?
If it's written in the HDD the time to export or convert video files will be increased which is undesirable.

Bottom line: What's Fusion Drive's behavior whenever you write a new video file (or any type of file)? SSD or HDD?

Thank you.

zhandri

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Hello!

I'm considering to buy the iMac 27" for the company I work in video editing.
I just didn't figure out how does Fusion Drive works.
I use of course, an external drive for media files.
The question lies when I export to file.

with an SSD I have the writing speed issue covered, but I'm not so sure in the case of the Fusion Drive.
Will the exported file be written in the SSD or in the HDD?
If it's written in the HDD the time to export or convert video files will be increased which is undesirable.

Bottom line: What's Fusion Drive's behavior whenever you write a new video file (or any type of file)? SSD or HDD?

Thank you.

i don't really know this but i guess it will put saved files/ downloads on the HDD part just because there is no real benefit playing these from the SSD. the fusion drive will most likely put apps and such stuff that benefit from the SSD speed on the SSD part

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Hello!

It always writes to the SSD first from what I've read. If the data is not frequently accessed afterwards, it gets moved to the HDD.

Miguel Cunha

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Braga, Portugal
It always writes to the SSD first from what I've read. If the data is not frequently accessed afterwards, it gets moved to the HDD.

So, that being true, there is no loss in speed, compared to SSD.

I've read something about 4GB minimum space on the SSD FD.
What if the video file is bigger?

Nov 28, 2010
located

It is a 128 GB SSD plus a 1 TB or 3 TB HDD, not like the Momentus XT from Seagate with its 4 or 8 GB of flash storage.

Thus writing files bigger than 4 GB is allowed, but then again, an external USB 3.0 HDD will suffice, as the CPU is hardly that fast to get you write speeds of more than 50 MB/s during export.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

Well, if your SSD is full (which is highly unlikely), it will most likely write to the HDD.

Miguel Cunha

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Braga, Portugal
Thank you leman and simsaladimbamba, for your valuable insight.

From what you said, I think that Fusion Drive is good enough for me, without the SSD price tag.

Best regards.

deja-vu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Thx for all the reply guys. You have convinced me to order the fusiondrive upgrade :)

deja-vu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Damn, i just called Apple to ask a question about financing (i am not gonna use that btw with those interests the offer here in Denmark) - the guy i talked to asked me what i was gonna use it for and when i told him he said that the fusion drive would make it boot and load faster etc. but in gaming it wouldnt make any diffrence. He adviced me to upgrade the cpu instead if gaming perfomance should improve.

I am gonna use it for gaming as well, but i still guess that the fusiondrive would be best for me. Would the I7 perfomance gain in gaming be noticable you think?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I am gonna use it for gaming as well, but i still guess that the fusiondrive would be best for me. Would the I7 perfomance gain in gaming be noticable you think?

Well, what games do you play? Its very unlikely that i7 will have much effect.

For instance, have a look at some benchmarks: http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Intel-Core-i53470-QuadCore-CPU-Review/?page=5

Here, the i5 (3470) is slightly slower than the i7 (3770), but keep in mind that in these tests the GPU influence is minimised because of the low resolution. In most of the games, especially when we are talking about 27" native resolution, the GPU will be the limiting factor. Overall, anything which is playable with the i7 will also be playable with the i5.

P.S. The Fusion Drive won't affect Bootcamp - Windows installation will be the HHD only!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.