Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

borg1of2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
So, I just upgraded iTunes 11, running on a PC with Windows 7, and when I start iTunes and then connect my iPhone to my PC iPhone shows up. If I click on the iPhone I can see all of the associated screens for what is on my iPhone and do a back, upgrade, synch, etc. However, if I click and go look at my iTunes library, the iPhone button/icon is gone and I can't go back and see it do any of the related activities. Only way to get it back is disconnect from PC and reconnect and the iPhone icon will show up again.

Don't know if I'm explaining this well enough, but am I missing something on how to go back to the iPhone once the button/icon disappears?

Scott

Marrakas

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2012
Well it seems to me the iPad and iPhones just tends to show up in itunes whenever they feel like it, especially over wifi sync.

borg1of2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
No, haven't pressed Done, not sure if I've even seen a Done button.

I am connected directly to the PC, WiFi always requires the phone to be plugged in to power, so what's the point for me as I charge my phone from the PC.

Any other suggestions, or just another glitch from Apple?

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
I am connected directly to the PC, WiFi always requires the phone to be plugged in to power, so what's the point for me as I charge my phone from the PC.

No. The first time it does, after that you can do it.... wirelessly :eek::eek::eek::eek:

borg1of2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
No. The first time it does, after that you can do it.... wirelessly :eek::eek::eek::eek:

This is not what I experienced with the previous version of iTunes. It would detect the device, YES, but when I would synch it would try, fail and give error. Only way to get it to work was physical connection or plugging the iPhone into power. Then synch would be successful.

Bako-MacAddict

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2012
California
So, I just upgraded iTunes 11, running on a PC with Windows 7, and when I start iTunes and then connect my iPhone to my PC iPhone shows up. If I click on the iPhone I can see all of the associated screens for what is on my iPhone and do a back, upgrade, synch, etc. However, if I click and go look at my iTunes library, the iPhone button/icon is gone and I can't go back and see it do any of the related activities. Only way to get it back is disconnect from PC and reconnect and the iPhone icon will show up again.

Don't know if I'm explaining this well enough, but am I missing something on how to go back to the iPhone once the button/icon disappears?

Scott

First problem i see is that you're using a PC :D
Kidding :)

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009

Scott
View, show sidebar

borg1of2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
View, show sidebar

Didn't realize the File, View, etc menu's were available. Found that and tried the Sidebar and the iPhone is not listed. I literally was viewing the phone, synched and the clicked to go look at my Music library. iPhone button gone and not on Sidebar.

----------

I was waiting for that one. :(

Kurios2

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
What's so hard about disconnecting and connecting again? I have the same problem and don't come on here crying about it. Give me a break.

borg1of2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
What's so hard about disconnecting and connecting again? I have the same problem and don't come on here crying about it. Give me a break.

Another response expected.

Hopefully others on this forum will rise and assist with a simple question from someone asking for help. Or is the above the standard set here?

fenskezen

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2011
Wirelessly posted

I noticed the same thing. I use a MacBook 08. I thought it was me or something I was missing. Yes, I can and did just unplug and replug but it seems odd to have to do that.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
The only way I can get out of the iPhone view mode is by pressing the blue "done" button at the top right past the "photo's" tab or by pressing the eject button on the top left. How are you getting out of this screen to view the rest of your library. This may explain the confusion.

borg1of2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
The only way I can get out of the iPhone view mode is by pressing the blue "done" button at the top right past the "photo's" tab or by pressing the eject button on the top left. How are you getting out of this screen to view the rest of your library. This may explain the confusion.

On the left side, near top, is the Up/Down Arrow where you can select the different options for your library (Music, Movies, Apps, Podcats, etc.) This will take you out of the iPhone view. You will then notice that you can't get back to the iPhone once you do that.

rollingstart

Jul 15, 2007
On the left side, near top, is the Up/Down Arrow where you can select the different options for your library (Music, Movies, Apps, Podcats, etc.) This will take you out of the iPhone view. You will then notice that you can't get back to the iPhone once you do that.

When you're in iPhone view, that button you're referring to is the Eject button for the iPhone, so you shouldn't press it to navigate through iTunes. Always hit the "Done" button on the right side instead to get back to iTunes, and your iPhone will always be there.

Confusing, yes, I know, but it makes more sense if you think of it this way. HTH

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Yours must be different than mine. All I have is an eject button there.

And yes I really call my phone that. It's a nickname from the army. Move along now, nothing to see here.

8243589743_91d67edb26_b.jpg

***Edit: rollingstart beat me to it.

Last edited:

rollingstart

Jul 15, 2007
Yours must be different than mine. All I have is an eject button there.

And yes I really call my phone that. It's a nickname from the army. Move along now, nothing to see here.

8243589743_91d67edb26_b.jpg

***Edit: roolingstart beat me to it.

You actually mentioned it first, ha ha.

Same with (yes, the) PC. I went through the trouble of mauling this screenshot so I'm not going to let it go unused.

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 537

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
You actually mentioned it first, ha ha.

Same with (yes, the) PC. I went through the trouble of mauling this screenshot so I'm not going to let it go unused.

Damn, yours has instructions.

I'm still curious as to what the OP sees on his, because he mentions the up/down arrow that appears throughout the rest of iTunes when you're looking at your library. Could it be a bug in his software?

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009

Same thing happens on my Mac mini...

I hit the update button to iOS 6.1, and the iPhone disappeared. No Done button that I had before, no button for my iPhone, nothing. I'm using a Mac mini 2011. No trolling.

Edit: Nevermind. I force quit Apple iTunes and it works now. Look at that, a Mac not perfect like all the fanboys tell you it is. *gasp*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.