Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
I have a late 2010 MBA 11", and I've been running into an issue where the backlight won't turn on when I open the lid. I can see (barely) that the screen is on, but I can't get the backlight to turn on. I have to close the lid (sometimes a few times), and eventually it'll come on.

I'm running Mountain Lion (latest version), and it's always plugged in when this happens.

Just curious if anyone else has run into this. It's an intermittent problem.

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
I've had similar issues on a 2012 13in MBA running 10.8.2. At first I thought it just wasn't waking up and ended up powering it off and back on; but then I noticed it happen when there was sufficient daylight to see the screen, and realised it was the backlight.

It's only happened during or after a charge - opening the lid both when it's still plugged in and after removing the charger plug.

I've worked round it by closing and reopening the lid, as you say, or briefly pressing the Esc button to cancel & sleep again, then any key to re-awake.

GBlansten

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Thick Ascending Limb
This just happened to me on my 2012 MBA. Hope it doesn't happen again. Turned it all the way off then back on and the screen is fine. I was initially worried the inverter was fried.

oldtime

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
My backlight will automatically adjust even after I've disabled that functionality. Seems everyone has backlight problems of some kind!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.