Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Hey guys, quick question for ya...

Ok so I got another iPhone 5 and I'm about to just open it and then use it straight away without charging.

I plan to use it until it drains the battery and then I plan to just restart it again when it reaches zero.

My question is when I'm draining the battery, should I wait for it to go down slowly or should I just drain it as fast as possible keeping the brightness and the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on and playing hard-core graphic intensive games on it?

On one hand I don't want to drain it too fast and have the battery get used to the fact that its just supposed to drain fast, on the other hand I don't want it to think its a long inconsistent drain.

Heck, I'm not even sure if this darn thing even cares how I charge it or if this stuff makes a difference. But if it means even a few minutes of future battery life saved, then I'm all for it.

I'm also not sure if its better to let it die at zero or just start recharging at 1%.

It's a 64 GB if that even makes a difference.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
This may completely be the placebo effect, but I have noticed better battery life when I do a slow drain to calibrate the battery.

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010
It's a battery, not a puppy

On the other hand, this is a bobby c. thread, so who knows where this thread will go

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
This may completely be the placebo effect, but I have noticed better battery life when I do a slow drain to calibrate the battery.

I will try this out.

Kinda like imprinting.

If you spend a long time slow trickling it may get used to that.

For those of you saying just to use it however, keep in mind I am trying to maximize every minute and second just so I can fully enjoy the Apple experience.

It's kind of a spiritual more than a logical thing. But I would feel comfortable knowing there is some "official" method for doing this procedure.

Aren't there some ultra-scientific tests that can be done to measure this?

Phone 1: out of box charge then use.

Phone 2: out of box use then charge (fast)

Phone 3: out of box use then charge (slow)

Then also if its better at 0% recharge or 1% then recharge.

Then simply test which one lasts seconds or minutes longer over the next few identical discharges.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
i mean it's just a battery man, no matter how we look at it, it will have usually the same length of time. Unless it is defective. Playing games will always kill the battery faster than just texting and music. So when you play like death dome or something for half an hour don't be surprised when like 30% of the battery is gone.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I've used a lot of electronics and I've never believed in that "imprinting" charge for 16 hours crap. I've always just used the battery.

Now if you want to get technical, read this site: http://batteryuniversity.com/

The slower a Lithium Ion/Polymer drains the better. The slower you charge it the better too. The faster the charge the more wear. Heat is also a big issue. Just use the phone...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.