Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Answer these two questions:
If you could live forever, would you? You would grow old but you wouldn't become brittle.
If you could go back in time to change your destiny and affecting everyone around you, would you?

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
If you could live forever, would you? You would grow old but you wouldn't become brittle.
If you could go back in time to change your destiny and affecting everyone around you, would you?

No. I'd get too bored.
Definitely No. Have you ever seen ANY time travel involving movie!

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
1) No I think you would get bored after awhile.
2) I would only do it if I knew the other people I was affecting were not negatively affected

SlasherDuff

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2008
Gator Country
No thanks. Living forever makes me cringe

No. Despite how bad my childhood was, I wouldn't change things. I am happy on how things have ended up

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA

If I had to grow old, no way. If I could just stay 25 or so...eh, only if I had unlimited funding and didn't have to work forever! But, no...it would probably get really boring after a while. I certainly would not want to live forever as an old guy.

This depends. To what level are we talking about? I would love to go back and re-live my 18-30 years with the knowledge of personal interaction that I have now. There were so many opportunities that passed me by because I was so caught up in myself and living in my shell. I don't buy into that whole "but those experiences made me what I am today" stuff.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A

The question is inherently flawed. If I can live forever does that also mean that I can't die (in ways other than natural death)?

Does this mean that I wouldn't be dependent on current necessities, i.e. food or sleep etc? Because a lack of either of those, for example, can result in death but I can live forever so I shouldn't need them.

If so, I could potentially do anything without fear of death so it would take extremely long to run out of things to do.

What about when the Earth can no longer sustain life, does everything around get destroyed but I still live somehow?

In conclusion, it's a dumb question to ask.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The question is inherently flawed. (Blah, Blah, Blah) In conclusion, it's a dumb question to ask.

* Bold addition mine*

Wow, some people really are a little short in the imagination department.

Willful suspension of disbelief... look it up.

In conclusion, if you don't like the conversation and don't have anything to contribute then just don't post. Oh, remind me never to go to a movie with you. ;)

As to the questions, I think living forever would be incredibly rewarding for a while, but would eventually become quite challenging from an emotional perspective.

I go back and forth on the second question, there are definite things about my past that I wish I could change, but would the ripple effect be worth it in the end.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
No living forever would mean I would have to care too much about my impact to the world. The way it is now, if I screw up too had, I have much less than a century to live with my mistakes.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I would live forever if and if I had the option to be able to end my life when I choose. Don't want to be alone for a millions years after a nuclear war while I wait for the mutants to return to human form. Also, none if that crap that happened to the two leads at the end of death becomes her. I live, I stay whole!

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
A mad naked man I met a few years back who claimed to be the Wandering Jew told me eternal life ain't all it's cracked up to be.:rolleyes: Well, I don't take advice from a mad naked man, so I would live forever. That ought to give me enough time to concoct a means of restoring my youth.;)

As for going back in time and changing destiny. I'm all over that. Causality can kiss my keyster. What fate imposes, that men must need abide. Yeah? Well, not this old geezer. I'd screw around with history until it ends up the way *I* see fit. I'll be King of da World, I tells yah.:D

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I would live forever if and if I had the option to be able to end my life when I choose. Don't want to be alone for a millions years after a nuclear war while I wait for the mutants to return to human form. Also, none if that crap that happened to the two leads at the end of death becomes her. I live, I stay whole!

Yeah, you could.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Yeah, you could.

Good. Then I'm in. This whole "everyone I love will die" thing. I'll get over it and used to it. I want to live to see what happens to the planet. Do we all grow up and become a great society a la Star Trek (no war, no poverty, no religion and hardly any black people) or do we wind up destroying everything. I'm also in for the going to the past thing. I day dream about that all the time. What stocks I would buy, where I would move to (warmer place please), how I would stop 9/11 and be a hero. How far back can I go? Quantum Leap rules or can I kill Hitler and Jesus?

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Good. Then I'm in. This whole "everyone I love will die" thing. I'll get over it and used to it. I want to live to see what happens to the planet. Do we all grow up and become a great society a la Star Trek (no war, no poverty, no religion and hardly any black people) or do we wind up destroying everything. I'm also in for the going to the past thing. I day dream about that all the time. What stocks I would buy, where I would move to (warmer place please), how I would stop 9/11 and be a hero. How far back can I go? Quantum Leap rules or can I kill Hitler and Jesus?

Birth and forward. Not before birth.

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO

Heck yeah. One of my greatest frustrations is that I won’t be around much longer as we continue to explore our universe and learn its workings. (Assuming I can stay healthy despite your "grow old" statement. If "old but not brittle" means dementia, irritable bowel syndrome, blindness, and arthritis, but I'm safe from osteoporosis, no thanks. That's no way I'd want to live.)

Sure, there are some regrets in life I'd like a do-over for, but given an eternal lifespan I'd have the opportunity to get it right on a second attempt, so I'll pass for fear of making something worse.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
2) I would only do it if I knew the other people I was affecting were not negatively affected

Interesting. I would only do it if the other people I was affecting were negatively affected!

I guess it depends on your life experience. I would love to go back to a certain life changing point in my family's life.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Don't think I'd want to live forever, but I would like to live for 200-300 years or so

Wouldn't want to go back in time and change the future though

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I wouldn't mind going into the future. I do NOT want to live forever.

On a side note these topics are starting to make me think Wally has reincarnated into a different user.
:eek:

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
I would live forever but it would hurt to see all of my loved ones die.

If I could be frozen before I die and woken up later in the future with a new body or something I'd do that for sure... like benny the dog!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.