Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Has anyone been able to get wifi sync working on iTunes 11, I can't seem to get either my iPhone or iPad working since upgrading.

You might also try restarting your iDevice. I've found that if you have kept it on for the past few months, it tends to not act correctly. I think it is suggested somewhere that you at least power down once a month. Anyway, try restarting your iDevice and see if that helps. You should probably restart your iTunes too..

Thank you very much. For further clarification for others: Top Left drop down menu-->show menu bar...then View-->show sidebar

That menu bar wasn't displayed by default, but thanks, it might have taken me a while to find it without some direction.

No problem.

cruisencode

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2009
Wifi sync works but can be problematic. If you're using Windows 7 x64 then you can probably forget about it. :(

Yeah, it's been terrible on my Windows 7 x64 PC. My iPhone shows up in iTunes. I click sync. It starts. Then the iPhone disappears from iTunes and the sync fails. I can get it to work like 10% of time, if I'm lucky.

Nepaiphoneuser

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
Northeast PA
I was able to finally get wifi sync working all I had to do was uninstall everything apple, restart and reinstall and now it's working-for now that is

rajivvarma

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2008
Yeah, it's been terrible on my Windows 7 x64 PC. My iPhone shows up in iTunes. I click sync. It starts. Then the iPhone disappears from iTunes and the sync fails. I can get it to work like 10% of time, if I'm lucky.

Exact same problem with my setup.

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx
Exact same problem with my setup.

Same here. It's been a battle to get it working on windows 7(64) ever since iOS 5. I've tried everything.......uninstalls, reinstalls, complete reinstall of windows, complete rebuild of iTunes library. I have given up. If I need to sync I will at first see if it will go over wifi then just break down and use the cables. And actually had quite a few failures over the cables with iTunes 11.

Most of the time I can see my iOS divices in the sidebar, but when I click to sync they always fail/disappear , and plugging into power for overnight charge never works. It's like only once in a blue moon do the stars align just so that I actually get a wifi sync.

At this point I just backup to iCloud and sync only when I need t add music. The podcasts app kinda killed my need to sync with iTunes.

Maybe it's my router....

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx
Only works when the phone is not in sleep mode.

I feel like that could be part of it.

I just don't get it. Home share seems to work perfect, Apple TV remotes work perfect. The wifi syncing seems to be the only bit of apple networking that does not work as seamlessly and perfect as it should.

I've even gone without antivirus software and disabled firewalls. Still more miss than hit.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
This is how bizarre wifi sync with itunes 11 is for me. Whenever I try to wifi sync my iphone 5 with my imac, it disconnects my imac from my airport extreme base station. Sync then hangs, I have to close out itunes, and stop and start wifi on my imac to get it to connect back to my router. Oddly enough, my ipad does not do this. It syncs percently over wifi. This was occuring with itunes 10 too with my iphone 5. I have restored as new and it still does it. Really bizzare. :eek:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Works much better for me. 10.7 used to work about a tenth of the time, but now its like 9/10. However, the rest 1/10 gives an error, saying that it can't connect with the iPhone or something like that. (That's for starting syncs from iTunes itself)

When I start WiFi syncs from my iPhone, they still only work about 1/10 of the time.

^^

This. It used to often require a re-boot of either my Imac, or IOS device to work. Now it finds both my iPad, and my iphone first time every time. Can't vouch for Windows though.

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx
I can usually get it to work if I reboot everything. But what's the point if you have to jump through hoops? It's not working as apple built it to......

The Merg

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012

Yup. Having the same issue here.

I plug in my iPhone 5 and iPad 2 and it will start to sync. Right at the end, it will pop up with a prompt that the connection cannot be established, but it will continue the sync process. That's if it doesn't pop up with the prompt that the sync cannot continue because the connection is lost. If that happens, I need to disconnect the USB cable, reset the device and reconnect the USB cable.

The iPad 2 also hardly ever lets me start a Wifi sync as it doesn't think it is connected to my computer even though I can see the iPad listed in iTunes.

- Merg

pazz

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
London, England
Same issue here. Seems to be a DNS error.

If you open up event viewer you will find errors from Bonjour. An obvious bug with iTunes 11. No doubt they tested on OSX more than Windows so I bet OSX is fine.

isus

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2004
To those of you having problems with Wi-Fi Sync not working at all - no devices showing at all in iTunes - connect one of your iDevices via USB. On the device info page, uncheck "Sync over Wi-Fi" (or whatever the option is called). Click "Apply". Now recheck the box, and click "Apply" again.

I have not been seeing my devices in iTunes at all, and after doing this, both my iPhone and iPad started showing up.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
Spotty at Best

I also think it's funny that I can have Apple Remote working fine at remotely controlling iTunes from my Iphone 4S, but WiFi sync doesn't work(greyed out ), even when plugged into power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.