Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
You know, for most of my life I would have never thought I would be posting on a Mac-related forum like this. I was always the biggest anti-Apple person ever. I never understood why their products were so expensive. I realized that it was just ignorance. My first Apple product was a few years ago, the iPhone 3G. And the only reason why I got it was because the Google G1 was sold out that day, and being I just moved to Germany, I needed a phone. So I bought the iPhone. And that's where it all started.

Since then, I wouldn't really call this a "collection" just yet, but it's crazy to me how much its grown since that first Apple purchase. I'll list them in chronological order.

- iPhone 3G
- iPod Nano 8GB (6th gen)
- iPad 16GB (1st gen) (sold)
- iPhone 4S 32GB
- Apple TV (2nd gen)
- MacBook Pro 13" (2011)
- iPad 32GB (3rd Gen)
- AirPort Express (1st gen)
- Apple TV (3rd gen)
- Apple Bluetooth Keyboard
- Apple Bluetooth Trackpad

The only item I no longer own is the 1st gen iPad.

CapnCrunch53

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2012
Indiana
I've always been a PC guy, but lately I've gathered up some Macs for fun, for the sake of playing some games, expanding my knowledge, and just the good old tinkering I love so much ;) The specs for most of them are in my sig, and there's not too much to say about them, so instead I'll share the mildly interesting story of my LC550.

I actually got it years ago, sometime in the early 2000s, when I was around 10-12. It was originally used in an elementary school classroom, and at some point when the school retired it, it fell into the hands of my awesome elderly neighbor, Max (whom I named the system after). I recall him playing solitaire and poker games on it, as you might expect an older guy with little computer experience to do. One day I noticed it sitting out on his driveway by the trash and asked him about it. Turns out he was sick of the computer beating him at poker :D I convinced him to let me rescue it and brought it home with me.

Being a curious little kid, I opened it up and messed around with it a bit. I looked through my dad's old PC parts and swapped a stick of RAM into it assuming it would be an upgrade (as it turns out it was; I had unwittingly maxed it out at 36MB :cool:). Unfortunately I had no keyboard or mouse, so I was not able to even turn the thing on for years, until a few months ago, when I bought a nice ADB keyboard and mouse set on eBay. The thing still works perfectly, and after cleaning up around 200 Untitled Folders throughout the system (I'm serious) I've been having fun playing some of the old educational titles like Number Munchers and a neat Hangman game. It's a cool little system, and I'm quite pleased with it so far. I recently added an ethernet adapter to it, so that will be my next adventure.

DevixLuvic

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
On top of a mountain
I believe myself to have a fair few, maybe not as much as others but I have been given all the older ones so I think I did OK...

Macs
Apple //e - not a "Mac" but it still works and has both the 3 1/2 and 5 1/4 floppy drives and a Monitor II.
Macintosh SE/30 x 6 <-- Of these 4 work, and 2 have graphical issues. Mostly came from schools.
Macintosh Classic x 2
Macintosh SE
Macintosh Plus
Macintosh Portable
PowerBook 150
iBook G3 Tangerine
iBook G4 (1.33GHz) <--Dead hard drive
TiBook 800MHz
iMac G3 x 3 - 2 are tray loading (Lime, OS8.6 and Tangerine, 10.1) and 1 is slot loading (Indigo)
iMac G4 Sunflower - 17" 1.25GHz with 1.5GB of RAM - Sadly this one is dead, I think due to a dead power supply. I want to get it alive again! So if anyone has a 17" iMac PSU.... :)
Soon to get a 15" Sunflower iMac
Mac Mini G4
PowerMac G4/400
MacBook Pro 15" 2006: 2.16 Intel Core Duo with 2GB RAM and a 320GB hard drive. My old machine, retired when I got the Air. I used it from time to time for Firewire-USB transfers until I got the Mac Pro.
Mac Pro 1,1 (2007) 4x3.33GHz Intel Xeons. Upgraded to Radeon X1900 and 16GB of RAM. Has a 128GB SSD and boots in less time than my Air. It's a breaker-blowing beast (really. it does blow the breaker).
MacBook Air 11" 2011 - 4GB of RAM and 128GB SSD. My portable notetaking machine. It's fairly good, though battery life with 10.8 is fairly bad.
iPods
iPod 3rd gen 10gb
iPod 5th gen 60gb
iPod Shuffle 1st gen 512mb
iPod Shuffle 3rd gen 4gb
iPod Mini 1st gen 4gb x 2
iPod Mini 2nd gen 4gb x 2
iPod Nano 3rd gen 8gb
iPod Nano 4th gen 4gb
iPod Nano 6th gen 8gb - got it from the trade-in program and wear it on a Lunatik band.
iPhones
iPhone 1st Gen 8gb - cracked screen :(
iPhone 3G x 4 - 2 8gb and 2 16gb. 3 of the 4 are broken.
iPhone 3GS 16gb x 2 - 1 works and 1 is messed up, but not completely dead.
iPhone 4 16gb - my current phone
Other
Apple TV 1 running a version of OSX/hackintosh. this was slow as crap.
Non-Apple
some old Toshiba (Satellite 2000CDS?) - my first lappy, running Windows 98
another old Compaq (like a really old netbook) running Windows 3.1 with a PCMCIA floppy drive

So yeah. I'm pretty proud of my collection, but looking at some of you guys' puts me back in my place :D
The two I probably really want the most right now are the PowerMac G4 cube or a TAM. Both are quite expensive on my local classifieds (and I don't expect the TAM to drop anytime soon)

Also really want a iPod 1st or 2nd gen but can't find one, again they are quite expensive (but less than the TAM)

keep collecting, guys!

JamesPalmaire

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2012
Charity Macs

I went to a charity auction recently in London and they were selling off a whole host of old Macs. There wasn't a techie to be seen and I picked up two original MacBook 203s for about £100.

Felt a bit guilty taking the bargain prices for charity, it would have been easy fundraising if you'd have done it at an Apple convention! :)

swarnabird

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2012
vintage apple T shirt

Well I know this is kinda off the topic but my new apple vintage collection consists of an old rainbow apple t-shirt I found the other day in a tiny out of the way op shop. As soon as I saw it I loved it and now I see online that vintage apple Tees are super in demand. I'm looking for info on when this one came out as I'm thinking of selling it. I would appreciate any advice or info. The shirt is yellowish cream, ringer style with a nearly worn out tag that says splash. R in circle next to logo. Very soft an faded looking logo but it's in perfect condition, just naturally old. Hope someone can help. I saw a plain vintage apple T on sale for $450 on e-bay but mine is much better I think. Thanks lots!:p

Attachments

• IMG_2126.jpg
    IMG_2126.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 138

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Macs

Imac 2011, I7 3.4GHZ I7 2GB VRAM 16GB RAM

MBP 17" 2.4GHZ I7 IGB Discrete GPU 16GB RAM

MBA 13" 1.8GHZ I7 4GB RAM HD 3000 GPU

Apple Peripheral Devices

3TB Time Capsule

Apple Bluetooth Keyboard

Airport Express

Apple TV 3's ( Two )

IOS Devices:

Ipad 4 64GB Wifi

Iphone 5 32GB Black and Slate

Other Devices:

Promise Pegasus R4

Wacom Bamboo Tablet

CH Eclipse Flight Control Yoke

Cases:

Speck Clear Shells ( Two) MBP and MBA

Targus Vuscape ( Ipad 4 )

Stulgut UltraSlim Type B ( Iphone 5)

Cooler Master Alloy Stand ( Ipad 4)

Just-Mobile Lounge Stand ( Iphone 5)

Just-Mobile Ipad Alloy Stand

Last edited:

smiba

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2012
The Netherlands
Not much.. But a few of them
(Will post pictures soon)

- Macintosh SE
- iMac G3 "Snow White" (Rare?)
- iMac G3 "Bondi Blue" (Broken. Won't power on)
- Powermac G4
- iPhone 2G (Still using it.. But its slow and has a 'dead touch strip' also the mute button is broken)
- iPod "Mini" 1st gen (Updated battery and Disk size)

Devices i used to have:

- Powerbook (I don't know the number. It was between 400 and 900) [SOLD]
- Powermac 7000? [Trashed] (Nobody wanted it :()

And my iPad 3 "The 'new' iPad" But its not that old xD

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
1984 - Apple IIc
1986 - 2012 Various PCs
2012 - MacBook Pro 13" (mid June release)

2010 - iPhone 4
2011 - iPad
2011 - iPod Nano
2012 - iPad 2 & 3
2012 - iPhone 4s

RSL

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
My SE/30. Although the hard drive died, it's still running fine after 20+ years.

Attachments

• DSC02520.jpg
    DSC02520.jpg
    637.3 KB · Views: 152

alice.curiouser

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
New here, thought I'd throw my stuff in. I'm way too lazy to look up the technical details, but you get the gist of it:

 iMac - Grape (OX9 - slow but functional)
 iMac - Snow (OSX - my kid uses this one)
 iMac (PowerMac 4, I think - dead as dirt)
 iMacs (aluminum x2, used in home office)
 MacBook Pro (15" 2011, used in away office)
 MacBook Pro 15" retina - 2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 / 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM / 768GB Flash Storage

 iPods - 1 full-size, 1 aluminum nano
 iPads - 1 iPad2, 1 black mini due 11/26
 iPhones - 3GS (w/ cracked screen), 4GS

It's not a huge collection by any means, but I'd love to get them into one room and take a picture of it all together as an earlier poster did.

walterwashere

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2011
USA
I have a sizable collection of ancient and new technology, among the 70’s turntable stereo, 1st gen Palm Pilot, 1st Gen Gameboy and Walkman, (all of which still work), are:

:apple: Slot-Loading iMac G3
:apple: iPad 2
:apple: G4 Cube
:apple: MacBook Pro (2010)

DevixLuvic

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
On top of a mountain
OK, so I finally got around to taking pictures of my collection. Here they are!

OokBn.jpg

tNA4w.jpg

Txpk2.jpg

XO0YG.jpg

m35sJ.jpg

sBjHd.jpg

Bonus!
dNJsu.jpg

If I can, I'll take better pictures. These ones are totally unflattering, but unlike some of the people here I don't have the greatest space to display my whole collection.

-dev

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
Damn! How do you people get all of these Macs???

Believe it or not I started going to my local monthly e-waste with my pickup and parked outside the gates with a sign on my truck, "will take any Mac's"

I usually leave with at least half a truck load. I've scored a army of Clamshells and PB G4's surprisingly. My best find was a 2010 21.5" iMac that wasn't turning on. It was just the RAM, replaced it and now I have a Core i3 iMac.(barely get's used sadly because I barely have room for a laptop.)

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2012
Believe it or not I started going to my local monthly e-waste with my pickup and parked outside the gates with a sign on my truck, "will take any Mac's"

I usually leave with at least half a truck load. I've scored a army of Clamshells and PB G4's surprisingly. My best find was a 2010 21.5" iMac that wasn't turning on. It was just the RAM, replaced it and now I have a Core i3 iMac.(barely get's used sadly because I barely have room for a laptop.)

That's so awesome! And most of these computers are fine for surfing the web and checking email! I wish I knew a local e-waste place.

darky90

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
All these these collections are really amazing. All I have is an ipod mini, mac mini, itouch first gen, and iphone4s. Sad "collection".. i know.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks

So I just sorta park there with the sign? Is that legal?

chambord

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2012
What the heck do you do with all these old Macs? You can't possibly use 2+ old Macs that didn't really do that much at the same time. Is this collecting or hoarding? :)

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
Here's my collection.

Well, not sure if this is more of a collection or more of a set-up but here we go. :p

Macs:
Mac Mini (2011)
Macbook Pro 13" (mid 2012)
Powermac G5 (late 2005)

iDevices
iPod Touch 4GB (64GB)
iPhone 3GS (16GB)
iPad 1 (16GB)
iPad 4 (16GB)

Accessories
Thunderbolt Display
Magic Mouse x2
Apple Wireless Keyboard x2
Apple Magic Trackpad x1

Non Apple:
24" Samsung monitor
Samsung R510
2x Western digital external hard drives.
Sony headphones.
I do have an Apple battery charger off camera - but that's not really apart of the setup.

Thoughts/comments? :)

Attachments

• IMG_0757.JPG
    IMG_0757.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0758.JPG
    IMG_0758.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 140
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.