Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lepeos

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
Not sure if this is the right forum but it is related to Airplay. What I'm trying to do is a little convoluted so bare with me.

I have a PS3 with some pretty good surround sound speakers connected to it, an airport express to use Airplay with said speakers, and a pissed off girlfriend.

She goes to bed before me and I generally sit up for an hour or two on the PS3. She can't sleep even with the sound right down which is fair enough because its still pretty bassy, so I've started plugging my headphones in to a jack in the speakers. The only problem I have with this is that I have to then sit really close to the TV, which is naturally uncomfortable

I've been looking at getting a wireless PS3 headset but I'd really like to resolve it without having to shell out more money because having it would defeat the purpose of these speakers, I keep harping on about.

My question to you. Does anyone know if it's possible that I could have the airport express send the sound from the PS3/speakers to my iPhone or iPad, allowing me then to plug in my headphones and thus creating a pseudo wireless headset that I can use when I need to? I'm thinking some sort of app I guess.

Or am I going to just have to bite the bullet and buy a PS3 headset?

Thanks

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
There is definitely no way to do this directly through the Airport express. I am sure there is a possible way to do it using the PS3 itself but I would imagine it would require adapters or other external devices, in which case it is probably simpler and easier to just get yourself a wireless headset.

Of course option #2 is just buy a longer cord for your current headphones...

lepeos

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
Thanks for the replies guys, I can't believe I didn't think about some headphone extension cord. I'm going to check Amazon now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.