Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just a couple days after the iPhone 5 received final regulatory certification in China, Sina Tech is reporting that China Unicom has started reservations for iPhone 5. China Unicom received 100,000 reservations in the first day, by 4pm local time, and required an ID card and other personal information to reserve an iPhone 5 for the first day.

iphone_5_china_top.jpg
China Unicom rival China Telecom has reportedly been taking iPhone 5 reservations for weeks, including 5,000 reservations on Sunday. Apple today announced that 50 countries would be receiving the iPhone 5 in December, with China being one of them.

Article Link: China Unicom Begins iPhone 5 Reservations, Gets 100,000 First-Day Reservations

Chumburro2U

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
I Love L.A.
Whatcha talkin' bout?

Considering the size of China's mobile phone market, not really.

Of course that is a huge number. 1st day preorders of 100,000+, in the first day. Give it a few more days and see, then post again. :apple:

Edit: That is only one carrier, I believe, there are 3 Chinese carriers selling the iPhone 5. What till the other carriers numbers start coming in.

orangebluedevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
That's not a huge number, even with ID's required because of the black market, and only one carrier - with 5 years of pent up demand there should have been more orders.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
yes and no

Considering the size of China's mobile phone market, not really.

Right and wrong. Considering the size of China's mobile phone market, yes, but most people are still using non-smartphone phones, so it's a quite significant number.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
Of course that is a huge number. 1st day preorders of 100,000+, in the first day. Give it a few more days and see, then post again. :apple:

Edit: That is only one carrier, I believe, there are 3 Chinese carriers selling the iPhone 5. What till the other carriers numbers start coming in.

Yes, China has three carriers but only one, China Mobile, with 600 million customers, doesn't carry the iPhone, officially. That's the carrier that really counts.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Wait a second here..... The iPhone 5, which is assembled in China, needs certification to work...... in China??? :confused:

Of course.

Not only does it require certification, the Chinese government needs to decide to allow the sale. There is no free market in China. You need government permission to bring in any new product.

dumell

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2008
Finland
Wait a second here..... The iPhone 5, which is assembled in China, needs certification to work...... in China??? :confused:

Of course. Just like a US made device need FCC approval before they can go on sale in the US.

All devices going on sale in one region needs the approval of the regulatory agencies in that region - regardless of where they are made.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere

Agreed. That is alot of phones in one day for only one carrier.

Interested to see how many phones will move on launch day in China.

Damueoa

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
I always love Apple products. 2 year ago I bought a iphone 4 and it still working perfectly. Even having any problem. So now I'm waiting to receive my new iphone 5. its on the way. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.