Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
I personally am hoping for a revamp. Apple were very clever in holding back key features over the years such as cut and paste, mms and multi-tasking and implementing them in a unique and original way an pitching it as revolutionary. Now they have every feature there is nothing they can reinvent, which only leaves an iOS total revamp imo.

What do you think?

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Needs a major revamp.

There are so many apps that make the stock ones look ancient, and there should be loads of scope to improve Notifications, add some live content etc.

Hope Ive gets his fingers dirty.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Won't be a complete revamp.

Apple won't introduce a completely new-look iOS, it will destroy the simplicity of the OS itself and also make it difficult for people to learn how to use the system. Maybe some changes in different apps, but it won't be a completely new look as a whole.

----------

I'm hoping for a revamped experience but we all know Apple - if its not broke, don't fix it.

This too. Apple logic.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Won't be a complete revamp.

Apple won't introduce a completely new-look iOS, it will destroy the simplicity of the OS itself and also make it difficult for people to learn how to use the system. Maybe some changes in different apps, but it won't be a completely new look as a whole.

----------

This too. Apple logic.

I wouldn't call that Apple logic, but rather common sense. I don't think the majority of iPhone users actually care about the looks but more about whether things work and they tend to on iOS. So, really, why change something? Just because a bunch of geeks (I'd even include myself here) complain about how boring the OS looks, Apple won't change a thing. An OS simply isn't supposed to entertain people, and we should understand that.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I wouldn't call that Apple logic, but rather common sense. I don't think the majority of iPhone users actually care about the looks but more about whether things work and they tend to on iOS. So, really, why change something? Just because a bunch of geeks (I'd even include myself here) complain about how boring the OS looks, Apple won't change a thing. An OS simply isn't supposed to entertain people, and we should understand that.

Yeah I agree with you. Unlike other people, I'm ok with iOS being what it is now, don't find it boring at all. Just because Windows Phone 8 has live tiles and all that doesn't mean iOS is boring. I'm working perfectly fine with it, and glad that you think the same way as me.:cool:

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Given the iOS Maps fiasco, for which Tim Cooke was forced to admit was a poor showing, a proper polishing would be a good thing even it were modest.

A revamp with toggles for commonly used settings (and perhaps a dedicated page to widgets?) would be even better

Last edited:

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
UK
I think it will be somewhere in between.. It would be stupid to revamp the full OS, but i certainly think will it bring more to the table than iOS4->5 or iOS5->6.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Now they have every feature there is nothing they can reinvent, which only leaves an iOS total revamp imo.

I respectfully disagree. Everything can be reinvented. In fact, I'd argue that this is precisely Apple's forté. If you really think it's all there right now, I'm happy to predict that you will be pleasantly surprised come iOS 7.

Personally, I believe iOS 7 will bring not only a revamp (though I wouldn't go so far as to call it "total") but also existing features reinvented and one or more brand new feature(s) that we haven't seen yet, at least in the mainstream.

I'm clearly being optimistic and perhaps naïvely so but since I can't say "for sure" what the future will bring, I'll just sit here happily hoping for it all.

(By the way, I can think of many practical situations where it could be good to not set expectations too high...but this is just a cell phone and as long as they don't butcher the OS, I won't cry if I don't get everything I'm hoping for.)

I think it will be somewhere in between.. It would be stupid to revamp the full OS, but i certainly think will it bring more to the table than iOS4->5 or iOS5->6.

Stupid? Can you elaborate, please?

Also, iOS 4 > iOS 5 was pretty significant, by Apple standards. iOS 5 > iOS 6 was, in my opinion, far less so.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I respectfully disagree. Everything can be reinvented. In fact, I'd argue that this is precisely Apple's forté. If you really think it's all there right now, I'm happy to predict that you will be pleasantly surprised come iOS 7.

Personally, I believe iOS 7 will bring not only a revamp (though I wouldn't go so far as to call it "total") but also existing features reinvented and one or more brand new feature(s) that we haven't seen yet, at least in the mainstream.

I'm clearly being optimistic and perhaps naïvely so but since I can't say "for sure" what the future will bring, I'll just sit here happily hoping for it all.

(By the way, I can think of many practical situations where it could be good to not set expectations too high...but this is just a cell phone and as long as they don't butcher the OS, I won't cry if I don't get everything I'm hoping for.)

Stupid? Can you elaborate, please?

Also, iOS 4 > iOS 5 was pretty significant, by Apple standards. iOS 5 > iOS 6 was, in my opinion, far less so.

I agree, iOS 5 was significant that Apple made a video introducing its features. Look at iOS 6, there wasn't even a video about it. Some features like Guided access, VIP mailbox, and reply a message for phone wasn't even discussed frequently in the forums....

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Judging from the lack of innovation in iOS 6, I can only assume that's because iOS 7 will be a major update.

If not, I'll begin to wonder what the software engineers have been doing with their year.

Doombringer

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2012
I think they should be more ambitious and push a new(er) look. iTunes 11 shows they can think beyond what has become the "norm" for them, and make it work. At least in terms of design (missing/retired features aside).

I'd love to see an iOS with less skeuomorphic designs, cleaner, more polished, sexy. Not kitschy. More uniform, but also not sterile. Apple is accomplishing this in their device designs, making elegant items with clean lines and colors... iOS should be no different.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I'm desperately hoping for a revamp. In MY I repeat MY opinion. iOS is lagging to far behind the competition. There a quite a number of things I am missing from *ahem* Android.

The Merg

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
Not even close. Heck, we still don't even have ring profiles - something that practically ALL of my previous phones over the past 15 years have had.

Or copying and pasting of calendar events which my HP iPaq 1910 Pocket PC had the ability to do...

- Merg

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
I personally am hoping for a revamp. Apple were very clever in holding back key features over the years such as cut and paste, mms and multi-tasking and implementing them in a unique and original way an pitching it as revolutionary. Now they have every feature there is nothing they can reinvent, which only leaves an iOS total revamp imo.

What do you think?

are you serious with this question? iOS 6 upgrade was a joke, they better revamp the damn thing

Eckscaliber

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2012
All I really want to see Apple do, is change a few of the stock icons (i.e. the photo icon is dull) and make some slight changes, like adding a realistic lookmto the paper in the Notes app. Also, it would be nice to have the ability to talk to people in the Game Center.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
I think it will be UI polish but no, no widgets or home screen revamp.

Think about it; a lot, A LOT of girls use iOS devices because it's pretty, super easy to use and hardly you get lost. Give them an android or windows phone and they will just drop it. So just because some nerds want widgets and new home screen and stuff like that doesn't mean iOS need it.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
put back the "new" googlemap, now that's innovation.

Won't happen. The new google maps will exist as an app on the App Store. That way, Google can continually push out app updates and improvements to it on a faster rate as well, as opposed to waiting for iOS updates like last time pre-iOS 5.

trvsglr

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2009
I think it will be UI polish but no, no widgets or home screen revamp.

Think about it; a lot, A LOT of girls use iOS devices because it's pretty, super easy to use and hardly you get lost. Give them an android or windows phone and they will just drop it. So just because some nerds want widgets and new home screen and stuff like that doesn't mean iOS need it.

I agree, (not that my firlfriend is dumb or anything:eek:) but she had an Android phone for a day and took it back for an iPhone the next. I've used iPhone's since they came out and she would use mine often for games and stuff. When it came time that she thought she wanted a smart phone (she has Verizon) they talked her out of an iPhone and gave her a Droid. We were both pretty much lost with it. It just felt so cluttered, something as simple as trying to adjust something in the settings, was just not simple. That's what we both love about our iPhones, the simplicity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.