Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A4orce84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Hello Everyone,

Had a quick question around the notifications feature in OSX Mountaion Lion. I currently use hotmail as my main personal email account, and was curious if I could setup the notifications to alert me when I receive new emails?

I know it's not possible to setup a Hotmail IMAP account (I am not trying to configure a Mail application), I'm just curious if it is possible to receive notifications on new emails?

Thanks in advance!

--Asif

nyolc8

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2012
You can get notifications, if you set your hotmail account in Mail with pop3 service.

nyolc8

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2012
in 10.7 it was possible to set up hotmail in Mail app, so it should be possible in 10.8 too. But because of pop3, it won't sync the changes with your mail account. So for example: if you read an email in Mail app, that email will still unread in www.hotmail.com inbox.

A4orce84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Right but I just want to receive notifications like you can on gmail currently. So when you get an email, it'll take me to hotmail.com where I can actually read my email in my web inbox when I click on the notification in Mountain Lion

nyolc8

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2012
Oh, so you want Safari web notifications... I think you can't get that for hotmail.

A4orce84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Not specifically Safari, I want OSX Mountaion Lion Notifications. You can already do this with other email services:
Adding-Twitter-to-Accounts-in-Mountain-Lion.png

I'm trying to do something similar with Hotmail. =)

Thanks!

nyolc8

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2012
Not specifically Safari, I want OSX Mountaion Lion Notifications. You can already do this with other email services:
PIC

I'm trying to do something similar with Hotmail. =)

Thanks!

Then you need to add your hotmail account as pop3 (I don't know how is it called, maybe "other") in this window you showed. Then set Mail to check for mails periodically for that hotmail account. I think this should work.

A4orce84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Doesn't seem to be working so far. Anyone with hotmail able to get this working yet?

Thanks.

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
Right but I just want to receive notifications like you can on gmail currently. So when you get an email, it'll take me to hotmail.com where I can actually read my email in my web inbox when I click on the notification in Mountain Lion

What you're talking about here are browser notifications. OS X doesn't have any feature that gives you an OS X notification that takes you to Gmail's webmail. That is a feature of your web browser (I use Chrome).

Email notifications in OS X take you to Mail, and are a product of Mail app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.