Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2003
Does anybody else seem to have an uneven backlight on their mini? I only started to notice it when I tried browsing in landscape mode. The screen isn't as bright on the side with the FaceTime camera. It's the only thing that's really bothering me about the mini.

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Does anybody else seem to have an uneven backlight on their mini? I only started to notice it when I tried browsing in landscape mode. The screen isn't as bright on the side with the FaceTime camera. It's the only thing that's really bothering me about the mini.

A little and some uneven color (very minor) but you know I went through several retina pads trying to get one without issues and I don't really care to do it again. From that experience I learned that you can exchange one with a minor flaw for a much worse product.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
What are your serial numbers?

Dm's?

I have an F4 and it's perfect (thank god my ipad 3 had 8+ exchanges).

I think F4 is the brazil plant.

No nicks, no scuffs, good screen.

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2003
Just checked and its also an F4. I tried turning up the brightness to max and now it's barely noticeable.

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012

Dm's?

8!!!!!!!!! what was the problems? I have a 64gb refurb comming from apple.ca and now im worried. what should I be looking for?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011

Dm's?

I don't think F4 is from brazil. Mines F4 and mine shipped from China when I preordered mine.

Btw mines perfect as well.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
8!!!!!!!!! what was the problems? I have a 64gb refurb comming from apple.ca and now im worried. what should I be looking for?

Not everyone can see the problems I can (So I've found out). I have really good colour distinction in my eyes. But there was uneven yellow tinting in almost all of them.

----------

I don't think F4 is from brazil. Mines F4 and mine shipped from China when I preordered mine.

Btw mines perfect as well.

I just took a guess, as no one seems to know where the F4 plant is, so I figured it was their newest. Some iPhone 5's came from this plant also.

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Not everyone can see the problems I can (So I've found out). I have really good colour distinction in my eyes. But there was uneven yellow tinting in almost all of them.

WOW, you returned 8 ipad 3's due to yellow reproduction!! after one or two exchanges, I would expect that if the "problem" persisted then I could have thought it was just the nature of the panel.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
WOW, you returned 8 ipad 3's due to yellow reproduction!! after one or two exchanges, I would expect that if the "problem" persisted then I could have thought it was just the nature of the panel.

Um, not yellow colour reproduction, but blotches of yellow extending from either one corner, or one side of the screen.

I had one good iPad out of the 8, and it had a large noticeable particle in the middle of the screen.

And if you're just trolling me, 6 of the eight were replaced over the phone so I had no choice but to take what I got. Then I did give up and accepted it, until now, which is why I'm selling it to pay for my mini.

If I can with all certainty, say that my iPad 2, and iPad mini screens are perfect, there is definitely a problem with the retina screens.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
Um, not yellow colour reproduction, but blotches of yellow extending from either one corner, or one side of the screen.

I had one good iPad out of the 8, and it had a large noticeable particle in the middle of the screen.

And if you're just trolling me, 6 of the eight were replaced over the phone so I had no choice but to take what I got. Then I did give up and accepted it, until now, which is why I'm selling it to pay for my mini.

If I can with all certainty, say that my iPad 2, and iPad mini screens are perfect, there is definitely a problem with the retina screens.

Same here with the iPad 3. Screen quality was all over the place. It took me a while to get one with no noticeable flaws. I had yellow blotches, brown blotches, pink and blue and green tints, uneven backlighting, and backlight bleeding. Since getting a good one, I've lost track of the threads that I used to follow. I hope that they've resolved these issues with the screens going into the iPad 4. I know that the LG retina screens on the 15" and 13" Retina Macbook Pros have image retention issues. There's a HUGE thread about it over on the Apple discussion boards. I don't have one though, so I have not experienced it first hand. I really hope for the sake of everyone buying the iPad 4, that the problems have gone away.

Deasnutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011

My 3 is spot on, not yellowish. Maybe you got the yellow fever?

Quantus

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
Download a blank black image at 1024x768 resolution. View in photo gallery with the lights off. Tilt the screen around, what do you see?

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2003
Black looks perfect at any angle. If I do the same with a white image, I can see certain areas being slightly darker. I'm being a perfectionist about this and I don't think most people would ever notice.

Quantus

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
Black looks perfect at any angle. If I do the same with a white image, I can see certain areas being slightly darker. I'm being a perfectionist about this and I don't think most people would ever notice.

Does the black have a pink or red tint at certain angles?

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Oh my god!, tilting an LCD screen with a solid color on it will cause it to fade or tint or maybe go a little negative. Shesh!

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
Oh my god!, tilting an LCD screen with a solid color on it will cause it to fade or tint or maybe go a little negative. Shesh!

Why did you even ask the initial question then? It obvious you're a troll. Go somewhere else. These tints are in you're face straight on.

j0n24

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2007

I noticed the same thing with my mini in landscape. Slightly darker strip along the side of the screen that has the FaceTime camera. It's not very obvious though ... I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I have an F4 serial number also.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010

Yes the top side is clearly dimmer for about 1/2 inch or so.

gravity010

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
And here I thought that I'm the only one having this issue. :D I also have the same uneven brightness on the side of the facetime camera. and yeah, it is a good 1/2 to 1/4 inch or so of dimming brightness. :( I don't mind much about it since you don't need to look at the top portion and you don't have to look at a white screen all the time. :)

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
And here I thought that I'm the only one having this issue. :D I also have the same uneven brightness on the side of the facetime camera. and yeah, it is a good 1/2 to 1/4 inch or so of dimming brightness. :( I don't mind much about it since you don't need to look at the top portion and you don't have to look at a white screen all the time. :)

To some extent, this is normal--all single-backlight LCDs are dimmer on the far side. Usually, it's mostly imperceptible. If you're thinking about exchanging any LCD-based product for only this reason, be aware that all of them will share this trait, so if you have a particularly keen eye, you may never find one that is even in both full black and full white modes, because there isn't a single one in existence that truly is perfectly even.
Does the black have a pink or red tint at certain angles?
A slight purple shift at wide angles is a natural byproduct of IPS display technology.

gravity010

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
To some extent, this is normal--all single-backlight LCDs are dimmer on the far side. Usually, it's mostly imperceptible. If you're thinking about exchanging any LCD-based product for only this reason, be aware that all of them will share this trait, so if you have a particularly keen eye, you may never find one that is even in both full black and full white modes, because there isn't a single one in existence that truly is perfectly even.
Though I see this trait of being dimmer on the far side, the problem is it is not even. only the side of the facetime camera is having an issue, the bottom part, which is near the home button, doesn't have a problem with the brightness.

layziegtp

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
I noticed this as well. At first I thought something was wrong with my eyes, I tried tilting the screen a bit, but I kept seeing it.

I'll be returning my mini. I returned my iPad 4 because it was too big, but the mini is just not of high enough quality. I'll live without a tablet until Apple's next round, I guess.

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
Though I see this trait of being dimmer on the far side, the problem is it is not even. only the side of the facetime camera is having an issue, the bottom part, which is near the home button, doesn't have a problem with the brightness.
Right, because the top of the screen is the furthest from the LEDs, which are at the bottom of the screen.

Smurfqq

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2012
I doubt its a backlight issue being on the bottom and not just random problems with the display. I have a darker (or more yellow) portion on the bottom (home button side)

If I split the keyboard it's different shades.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    621.8 KB · Views: 414
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.