Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lokster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2010
How much would an ipad mini cost after tax? if i bought one in California? im out of the country right now and i dont remember the tax rate, i havent been home for a year (studying abroad) but my cousin is going home for the holiday, i was wondering how much would it be after tax so i can give her the money to buy me one.

And would it be cheaper to order it online and wait two weeks to avoid the tax?
or would it be better to get it at the store and pay retail+tax price? :D

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
No tax if bought in Deleware. That is where a bought the 4th gen during BF and saved even more.

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
That depends where you're buying it in California geographically as well as which retailer you're going through.

Sales tax varies from 7.25% to 9.5% or so depending on county and city tax rates. The retailer matters because some charge the LCD recycling fee ($6 for an iPad) on top of the sales price and other places don't.
This should do it, just substitute 329 in the search box with the price of the model you want.
No, that won't do it. State tax (6.25%) isn't the total sales tax applied, because the minimum locality tax is 1.0% on top of that. Nowhere is less than 7.25% total tax.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
How much would an ipad mini cost after tax? if i bought one in California? im out of the country right now and i dont remember the tax rate, i havent been home for a year (studying abroad) but my cousin is going home for the holiday, i was wondering how much would it be after tax so i can give her the money to buy me one.

And would it be cheaper to order it online and wait two weeks to avoid the tax?
or would it be better to get it at the store and pay retail+tax price? :D

I believe you will still be taxed online if you order from Amazon. Where are you right now? (nothing specific, just give the country). In CA the tax rate is quite high so if Powermax (noted above) delivers to your location then I'd go with them or a like company.

greenchiliman

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010
Chicago
You would pay tax if you buy from a retailer or amazon that has a store or office in california. Your best bet would be to find a website that wouldn't charge california sales tax and has free shipping.

For more info on taxes for online purchases, wiki sales tax vs use tax.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
It's 8.75% for tax for most areas. LA county for sure. But don't forget the B$ $8 "recycle fee" they charge too... And somehow the state is broke.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.