Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kirkle

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
I recently put in an order for a 27" iMac at MacMall. Anyone else doing this? I have to say, it seems odd ordering from a company, different from the manufacturer, for a product that hasn't even been released.

Also, I haven't checked with my credit card company yet, but does anyone know when they actually charge the card: when it's ordered or when it is shipped?

By the way, I opted to not get the Fusion drive (I just don't want to spend the extra $250 at this time). I may come to regret it later, but I'm holding out hope that I'll be able to install an SSD. Hopefully, the 27" will turn out to be more easily upgraded than the 21."

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Had an awful experience with MacMall.

Once they have your contact information in their database, expect your privacy to be invaded.

The other day I just happened to browse their website looking for nothing in particular. Moments later, I get a phone call to my home from a salesman asking if I needed help with anything.

When was the last time you heard of an Internet retailer tracking browsers and calling them at home to push a sale? It's unheard of -- but MacMall is pioneering this practice.

I would NEVER shop there again, but since you asked how reliable they are, I can tell you this...

They are reliable as long as you don't get defective product. You will pay a little less buying from Apple, but you can be assured Apple will stand behind your defective product whereas MacMall may not. I have heard many complaints about their return policy and trying to get refunds on defective products.

Kirkle

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Thanks for the feedback. I've never ordered from MacMall before, and this comment does have me a bit worried.

stoster38

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
North Hollywood
I've ordered from Macmall before and never had any major issues using them. The only reason I'm not using them this time is that I found a better deal for the stock 27 inch base model through B&H Photo. I can get it with free shipping, no sales tax, and Applecare at 50% off!! All of this saved me about $275 that I'll put towards ram upgrades and optical disk that I still need.

I recently put in an order for a 27" iMac at MacMall. Anyone else doing this? I have to say, it seems odd ordering from a company, different from the manufacturer, for a product that hasn't even been released.

Also, I haven't checked with my credit card company yet, but does anyone know when they actually charge the card: when it's ordered or when it is shipped?

By the way, I opted to not get the Fusion drive (I just don't want to spend the extra $250 at this time). I may come to regret it later, but I'm holding out hope that I'll be able to install an SSD. Hopefully, the 27" will turn out to be more easily upgraded than the 21."

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
An alternative to MacMall is "MacConnection", based out of New Hampshire, I believe.

They were one of the original big players in the Mac Market (talking about 1980s here), back before the internet.

I've ordered from them occasionally, with good service.

Other "net sellers" worth investigating are B&H Photo (NYC) and
http://www.expercom.com/
(I have never ordered from either of the above, but B&H gets favorable reviews here).

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
They are reliable as long as you don't get defective product. You will pay a little less buying from Apple, but you can be assured Apple will stand behind your defective product whereas MacMall may not. I have heard many complaints about their return policy and trying to get refunds on defective products.

This.

I use to buy from MacMall, Maczones, etc until I received a DOA MacPro. They basically told me I was a sucker for buying from them because once they ship its mine, regardless whether its functional on delivery. They said my only option was to take it to Apple.

So I took it to the local Apple Store. They were just about to swap it out for a working one UNTIL they asked to see my receipt. I showed it to them and was told they can't exchange my brand new DOA machine for a brand new working one b/c I didn't buy it from Apple. The Genius then proceeded to order a new logic board. My brand new machine was now a refurb, it even had a new MAC Address sticker to cover up the etched inside the case. Bleh.

Lesson learned. I only buy from 3 places Amazon (Sold by Amazon, Ships by Amazon, not 3rd parties), Apple, and the local Microcenter. All 3 will replace a DOA machine, no prob.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.