Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
As of now I would say plain no. But I don't know what skilled people can do, maybe there is some workaround in the future.

I use the iTunes 11-skin on an older iTunes in my PPC-based computers, maybe that is an option if you just want the visual update? :)

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
If someone wanted badly enough to make it so, it could happen. But I doubt anybody has that kind of skill, time and resource to put it all together. Unfortunately, we've been left in the dust.

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2010
Florida
If someone wanted badly enough to make it so, it could happen. But I doubt anybody has that kind of skill, time and resource to put it all together. Unfortunately, we've been left in the dust.

I'm not even upgrading to it on my intel :cool:

Would've been interesting none the less to see how it ran on the old eMac.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I upgraded to it on my PC last night. Personally, it irritated me right from the start. I can't seem to change the view of my library from anything other than "album." Maybe sometime with it will show me where to change things, but for right now I don't care for it.

The update does come with an optional iCloud Control Panel. That's interesting. It doesn't do much except merge some data on to your PC like contacts and photos. Overall, I'm not impreseed.

And no, it doesn't run on PowerPC as has been stated. Just because I like to flip Apple the bird over that I usually download this stuff and see how far I can get anyway. The installer will run, but you'll be told you can't install.

There is a smaller app in the DMG that has more information about iTunes 11. It won't run on PowerPC, but if you open the package and poke around you find out that it's just a glorified viewer for a rich text file that actually displays the information.

The actual iTunes app is in a package so I don't see where you couldn't get elements out using Pacifist if you really wanted to.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Even if someone had the time or money, it still wouldn't happen. They can't access the source, and it wouldn't connect to Apple's iTunes servers.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
First, you need to think about iTunes in general...

iTunes 11 has changed A LOT of things. Heck, they built it from the ground up pretty much. Everything from the What's Playing little box at the top, to how things work.

Next, you need to know how skinning works...

When people skin things, whether it be iOS, OS X, or apps, they are limited to what's there. In this case, we are only limited to the resources in the last supported iTunes on PowerPCs.

Pretty much what I'm saying is that even if someone does go in and try and theme iTunes 10 to match 11, there are going to be many, many, many differences.

And skinning doesn't take overnight tweaking, it takes a good while to do it right.

So calm down, sit back, and relax. I'm sure someone is thinking about doing it, but it is waaaayyy too soon.

abbotkinneydude

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
Venice, CA
Installed it on my Black Book and it's just ok. The PPC world is not missing much with this one (actually, 11 feels more dumbed down than previous versions; almost as if it's all about simplification).

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
11 feels more dumbed down than previous versions; almost as if it's all about simplification).
You hit the nail right on the head, the old KISS theory, it's all about simplification, this is the new audience Apple is trying to gain, and from all outward signs is being very successful at doing so.

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2010
Florida
You hit the nail right on the head, the old KISS theory, it's all about simplification, this is the new audience Apple is trying to gain, and from all outward signs is being very successful at doing so.

Apple has been playing the 'simple' card for as long as I can remember. It's only recently they've made some crippling changes, especially in the pro market with Final Cut X. It used to be that they released a pro version along with a consumer version (Final Cut; Final Cut Express and iMovie). It seems like they're abandoning that model now for unification among all products.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
The single most useful change that I thought everyone missed as badly as me (obviously I was wrong...?) is that there now is a proper queue function. It's even better than the one in Spotify.

As for the skin; there is one in AQUADock's theme as MisterKeeks said.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
I can't seem to change the view of my library from anything other than "album."

Press "Tracks" (or is it "Songs" in the english version?). :)

Sk_rmklipp.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.