Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidwarren

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
I can't wait until people stop associating their identity with the operating system their cell phone uses.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
People want choice, to a degree' and to an extent it does make them happy. But more choice and a greater sense of satisfaction - better user experience - are not linked in nearly so linear a way as you think.

I agree with this. I have hundreds of iDevice apps, with over 100 installed on my iPhone. How many of them do I use on a daily basis? Probably a handful at most. Why do I have so many other apps? Maybe it's for the illusion of choice. I think, "If I ever wanted to, I could use these other apps." But in truth, I rarely have the time nor inclination to use most of them. Maybe I just like hearing people say, "Wow! You have a lot of apps!" when they look at my iPhone.

So even though I have an enormous amount of choice, I rarely exercise that choice. Even so, it's a problem if I perceive I don't have enough choice. Then I feel trapped.

I guess for some people, the perception of Android's quantity of choices outweighs Apple's offerings.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
If android is ass, what's that make iOS?

Well, according to the post you *quoted*, "iOS is better". In fact, it says that right after the "android is ass" bit. Not claiming the guy you quoted was right one way or another, but you should at least read what he's saying if you're going to comment on it. :p

----------

Well gee, I picked up a first gen iPad really cheap, jailbroke it, and put an ad blocking host file in it. Does that mean it evens out? (You're talking about a negligible percentage of people that would do this kind of thing).

Exactly. The rooting/jailbreaking community for *either* OS is a negligibly small percentage of the overall user base. For it to have an impact on the overall numbers, the iOS jailbreakers would have to never use the web, and the Android rooters would have to browse the web 24/7 356.25.

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
This usage statistic is the main stat that all of my developer friends consistently talk about when asked why they develop primarily for iOS over Android.

It doesn't matter if you have the fastest, shiniest, biggest, or cheapest smartphone...what matters most is: Are people using it?

For the the iPhone (and most Apple products) this has always been the case. That's where Apple's true innovation is: getting people to actually use their technology.

akbarali.ch

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2011
Mumbai (India)
I have an iPhone, a Mac and iPad mini,I love Apple,iOS and OSX.

But it is comments like this one which start unnecessary and useless flame wars,android is not 'ass' or something,it suits the purpose for million other who love it,not for me or you,similarly iPhone 5 is best for you and me and millions others,but similarly an S3 or Note2 is for millions others too.

One should respect others choices as well.

well said, This is what i say to others guys, you bought what you felt was right, i feel iPhones are better than Android but the same thing an Android user tells me. One should use & enjoy their devices.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Let's look at some of the criteria which I find are essential to choosing a phone:
(Both-emboldened; Apple only- [ ]; Android-plain text)

Colour:
Black, White, Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, et cetera.

Memory Size:
8GB, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB

Additional Memory:
N/A, 16/32/64GB Card Slot

Battery: Removable, Non-Removable

Screen Size (inches): 3.5, 3.7, 4.0, 4.2, 4.3, 4.5, 4.8, 5.0, 5.5 and more

Screen Res.: [1136x640, 960x640], 800x480, 1280x720, 1920x1080 and more

Vendor: [Apple], Samsung, HTC, Sony, Huawei, Lenovo, Motorola, Asus, LG, Google et cetera

2012 Flagship Phones:
[1], Several

2012 Mid-Range Phones: [0], Several

2012 Low-End Phones: [0], Several

Last Generation Phones: [2], n-2

If you don't like an Android phone or tablet, you can choose another one from that vendor's product range or change vendors and find a phone or tablet which is more suitable for you. Finally, if nothing suits you, you can consider changing operating systems

If you don't like a certain iPhone or iPad, you either have to wait a year or two for a future redesign or leave the operating system.

As for best, the best phone for me is the one which most easily helps the user to acheive their goal. For example, my grandma isn't going to notice the difference between an A6, a Snapdragon or an Exynos, but she can tell the difference between a 4" screen versus a 4.5" where the text can be enlarged and the buttons are that much more easily discernible.

iOS is one size fits all; Android has so much choice that your phone feels more tailor made.

Apple users are way more servile than their Android counterparts, because they have no choice; it's either Apple's way or the highway. Conversely, with Android, choice is abundant. If I don't like Google's way, perhaps I can try Samsung's way, LG's way or someone else's way.

This conversation is starting to get very boring. The fandroids are dug in and IOS supporters have thier positions locked in to.

I have an iPhone now, and will see what is out their in when the 5s or 6 rollout and make a decision on my next phone.

But what has kept me android phones is that once I buy that phone, I am stuck with whatever version of android that is on my phone. So when the new and improved version was released, I couldn't upgrade.

I just can't see jumping in with android until I can be sure that has been corrected, since nobody has the perfect OS that will never be upgraded in the future.

Also, I like what MS is doing wp8.

Hopefully I will have 3 OS's to choose from with great phones attached to each when the next upgrade comes around.

supmango

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
People don't want to pay for apps they already paid for on another platform. It's as simple as that.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
The surfing experience on your typical food stamp android device is horrible. Not surprising many choose to not bother

Also: http://www.thestreet.mobi/story/11586384/1/android-users-dont-know-enough-to-matter.html

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
This conversation is starting to get very boring. The fandroids are dug in and IOS supporters have thier positions locked in to.

I have an iPhone now, and will see what is out their in when the 5s or 6 rollout and make a decision on my next phone.

But what has kept me android phones is that once I buy that phone, I am stuck with whatever version of android that is on my phone. So when the new and improved version was released, I couldn't upgrade.

I just can't see jumping in with android until I can be sure that has been corrected, since nobody has the perfect OS that will never be upgraded in the future.

Also, I like what MS is doing wp8.

Hopefully I will have 3 OS's to choose from with great phones attached to each when the next upgrade comes around.
http://www.google.com/nexus/

Hasn't let me down yet*.

Nexus One - Android 2.1 to 2.3
Nexus S - Android 2.3 to Android 4.1
Galaxy Nexus - Android 4.0 to Android 4.2
Nexus 4 - Android 4.2 to ??? :D

*CDMA handsets are carrier infested garbage though. Avoid.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere

Hasn't let me down yet*.

Exactly...how many phones is that over how many years. What if i don't want a nexus?

And Verizon (CDMA phones) is my carrier, hence I don't have the upgrade issue with IOS. Again, I am hoping that this will get straightened out soon enough and I will have a real choice when I am ready for an upgrade.

----------

I can't wait until people stop associating their identity with the operating system their cell phone uses.

When there is more that 2 or 3 options then people will.

fr33 loader

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
just because we use Apple products doesn't mean we have to buy content from iTunes. sure it's easier, and with iCloud/iTunes match it's certainly more enticing and beneficial, but nothing prevents us from buying from Amazon, Google, or anyone else.

Heck, we don't even have to use OS X just because we use a Mac.

Exactly, I usually get my stuff on amazon and put them in iTunes if I need it on my iOS products but don't buy it from iTunes.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Exactly...how many phones is that over how many years. What if i don't want a nexus?

And Verizon (CDMA phones) is my carrier, hence I don't have the upgrade issue with IOS. Again, I am hoping that this will get straightened out soon enough and I will have a real choice when I am ready for an upgrade.

4 phones over 4 years, two of which are still currently supported (Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4). The only phone that was cut relatively short was the Nexus One which had appallingly low ROM storage, it made it hard to go beyond Android 2.3 officially. Developers managed to port Android 4.0 to the Nexus One but with some dirty hacks.

I very much doubt that Android ever will be a viable option for you in that case because CDMA has been a pain to support in the AOSP and Nexus phones in general are fully supported by the Android Open Source Project.

On that topic, here’s a quick clarification on the core issue. Every device has a number of closed-source software packages included on it. Though Google distributes some of these binaries for Nexus devices for use with AOSP, Google does not own the software. Rather, this software is variously owned by the device manufacturer, the carrier, and their suppliers. We try to get distribution rights for as many of these binaries as possible, but in some cases it is difficult or impossible to obtain these rights. (CDMA specifically has a tricky history of intellectual property.) Combined with the technical issues of needing to sign the apks correctly, this has prevented us from obtaining the distribution rights we need to support these devices in AOSP.
source.

I think Google's recent push for GSM only devices has been caused by the difficulty with their CDMA support and Sprint and Verizon's insistence on interfering with the CDMA hardware (NS4G had Sprint bloatware alongside the VZ GalaxyNexus).

If you don't want a Nexus, you don't want a Nexus, it's as simple as that really. ;) It's looking like the iPhone is the only platform that will suit your requirements as even Windows Phone isn't immune to carriers holding back software updates.

fr33 loader

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
Songs, movies and books from iTunes work on non-Apple devices. Only Apps are iOS exclusive. I can play an album, watch a movie and read a book bought from Apple on Windows PCs, various PMPs, Android devices and other e-readers.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong or how you're doing it but I can't watch movies and listen to songs I bought in iTunes in my Android device but would play on my iPhone and iPad.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
4 phones over 4 years, two of which are still currently supported (Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4). The only phone that was cut relatively short was the Nexus One which had appallingly low ROM storage, it made it hard to go beyond Android 2.3 officially. Developers managed to port Android 4.0 to the Nexus One but with some dirty hacks.

I very much doubt that Android ever will be a viable option for you in that case because CDMA has been a pain to support in the AOSP and Nexus phones in general are fully supported by the Android Open Source Project.

source.

I think Google's recent push for GSM only devices has been caused by the difficulty with their CDMA support and Sprint and Verizon's insistence on interfering with the CDMA hardware (NS4G had Sprint bloatware alongside the VZ GalaxyNexus).

If you don't want a Nexus, you don't want a Nexus, it's as simple as that really. ;) It's looking like the iPhone is the only platform that will suit your requirements as even Windows Phone isn't immune to carriers holding back software updates.

I am hoping that will change. Will see what the next couple of years will bring.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Let's look at some of the criteria which I find are essential to choosing a phone:

Colour:

Memory Size:
8GB, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB

Additional Memory:

Vendor: [Apple], Samsung, HTC, Sony, Huawei, Lenovo, Motorola, Asus, LG, Google et cetera

2012 Flagship Phones:
[1], Several

If you don't like an Android phone or tablet, you can choose another one from that vendor's product range or change vendors and find a phone or tablet which is more suitable for you. Finally, if nothing suits you, you can consider changing operating systems

If you don't like a certain iPhone or iPad, you either have to wait a year or two for a future redesign or leave the operating system.

As for best, the best phone for me is the one which most easily helps the user to acheive their goal. For example, my grandma isn't going to notice the difference between an A6, a Snapdragon or an Exynos, but she can tell the difference between a 4" screen versus a 4.5" where the text can be enlarged and the buttons are that much more easily discernible.

iOS is one size fits all; Android has so much choice that your phone feels more tailor made.

Apple users are way more servile than their Android counterparts, because they have no choice; it's either Apple's way or the highway. Conversely, with Android, choice is abundant. If I don't like Google's way, perhaps I can try Samsung's way, LG's way or someone else's way.

Choice is grossly overrated, especially when most of your choices aren't very good. If you wanted the performance of say, a GS3 in a more compact form factor, what options do you have?

I'd agree that going Apple means fewer options, but it also means you're generally getting best of breed. And for most folks, the minor differences amongst the handful of models available for Android (when you take out the hundreds of crappy products) won't make a meaningful difference. And oftentimes, having too much choice is actually a bad thing and not something most people want. That's why Samsung is dominating the Android landscape; people have consciously eliminated the myriad of choices and have gravitated to a brand they think they can trust, and right now, Samsung is the hot vendor for Android.

Lastly, every customer satisfaction survey I've seen shows people are happier with Apple phones proving once again that choice isn't important so long as the product works well and better than the other options available.

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
The surfing experience on your typical food stamp android device is horrible. Not surprising many choose to not bother

Also: http://www.thestreet.mobi/story/11586384/1/android-users-dont-know-enough-to-matter.html

I couldn't think of a nicer surfing experience than using Dolphin HD on my SG3. Gestures are pretty intuitive, AddOns are great (which btw. makes ad-blocking as easy as cake - and which most of the Android Users will install just because they can do it and they know it - and this in effect makes this whole article bogus).

Nevertheless Chrome is also pretty solid, Opera is great on Android - only Firefox lacks behind. Opera and Firefoy also offer Adblock without rooting your device.

I am just astounded how a lot of people with actually now experience on Android use their prejudices to talk out of their backs.

And actually the bigger screen makes a lot of sense with web browsing.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I demand CHOICE.

Android, therefore, is unacceptable. The selection of quality apps is truly poor compared to iOS. I won’t give up choice of what I can ACTUALLY do, for the sake of “choice” as an abstract principle... it’s not like an Android user can make the “choice” to exchange one brand of phone for another without paying for the privilege, if their first choice doesn’t suit them.

The freedom Google offers is mainly to carriers... and they are not my friend.

(It’s kind of like people are saying, “there are more crappy cars than great ones, so if you decide to go with a crappy car you’ll have more choice!” — true, but choice isn’t a goal, it’s a means to an end: the best experience.)

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008

Hasn't let me down yet*.

Yeah, too bad Google decided to not support Google Wallet on all NFC-capable Nexus devices. (yes, I'm still pissed off.)

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011

Colour:

Memory Size:
8GB, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB

Additional Memory:

2012 Flagship Phones:
[1], Several

Get real, who the hell cares about all the stuff you mention here. If you are still talking about a removable battery in today's world then you must be like 50 years old and completely out of touch, or live in the middle of nowhere and completely out of touch with the modern world

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
I don't know what I'm doing wrong or how you're doing it but I can't watch movies and listen to songs I bought in iTunes in my Android device but would play on my iPhone and iPad.

All I know is they aren't DRM - the songs at least. You may need to change the file type.

ArchAndroid

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
London, England
Get real, who the hell cares about all the stuff you mention here. If you are still talking about a removable battery in today's world then you must be like 50 years old and completely out of touch, or live in the middle of nowhere and completely out of touch with the modern world

50 years old? If I use a push a phone all day and it runs out of battery while I'm staying at someone else's, according to you, it's an inconvenience to be able to throw in a new one and get another day of usage?

:confused:

----------

(It’s kind of like people are saying, “there are more crappy cars than great ones, so if you decide to go with a crappy car you’ll have more choice!” — true, but choice isn’t a goal, it’s a means to an end: the best experience.)

Actually, it would be like saying 'Perhaps my mum doesn't need that Mercedes E-Class to do her once weekly shopping'.

If choice isn't a goal, then why does Apple sell the Air, Pro and iMac in two different sizes? Why does Apple sell any Core i5 when the Core i7 is a better processor? If you need the extra power or you need the extra size, it is available at a premium. This is choice. The best experience is the one which most acquiesces to the user's needs.

Fozzard

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2012
Let's get back on topic: web usage!

Folks,

Too many of these threads veer off into OS-religious wars that don't solve anything! What's interesting about this Chitika study is the rate at which the two OS's are used on the web. This is relevant to web developers (and app developers, though not as directly).

I develop web applications and analyze web usage stats for a part of NOAA (look it up), and see almost identical web shares Chitika sees. Here's an example from November 2012 on our web sites, which see about 15 million hits/month (desktop + mobile):

#: #reqs: %reqs: #pages: browser
--: -----: ------: ------: -------
1: 98334: 34.07%: 13160: iPad
2: 91489: 31.70%: 12482: iPhone
3: 71072: 24.63%: 11776: Android
4: 12983: 4.50%: 1515: Opera Mini
5: 5125: 1.78%: 712: BlackBerry
6: 3902: 1.35%: 471: Symbian
7: 2660: 0.92%: 315: Kindle Silk
8: 1776: 0.62%: 207: Windows Phone

Because we have few web pages optimized for mobile (I'm lobbying for more!), we only get about 2% of our hits from mobile, but you see the same distribution of web share that Chitika shows: iOS (iPad+iPhone) at 66%, Android 25%, and all others are down in the noise.

Since there are so many more Android devices out there, it's clear that iOS users are much more active users.

As to why this is, our web logs have no information. Draw your own conclusions!

--Rich

efktd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2011
USA
Well, according to the post you *quoted*, "iOS is better". In fact, it says that right after the "android is ass" bit. Not claiming the guy you quoted was right one way or another, but you should at least read what he's saying if you're going to comment on it. :p

----------

Exactly. The rooting/jailbreaking community for *either* OS is a negligibly small percentage of the overall user base. For it to have an impact on the overall numbers, the iOS jailbreakers would have to never use the web, and the Android rooters would have to browse the web 24/7 356.25.

Well I'm just wondering what's better than ass. I did read where the poster said iOS was better, however I'm just looking for a sort of clarification.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.