Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Aaaah, just learned something new in all these years.

Always thought that a .DMG was an install file, but that makes sense.

Thank you for clarifying.

supermariofan25

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
This is a good example of how different Mac OS and Windows are. You'll find if you keep clicking in a frozen application on Windows you'll completely kill it, if you do it on OSX it remembers what you've clicked on so when it starts working again it'll do whatever you told it to do in the mean time.

The lack of a Start button is a big deal for newbies, just try and forget about it and eventually you'll realise it wasnt all that great anyway :)

for those who like the start button for easy access to apps just drag the Applications folder to your dock, when its there it opens like a menu;)

supermariofan25

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
Bootcamp

One thing new mac users should know is that if you still need windows for certain applications that you like to use then you can use a built in software called Bootcamp for easy installation of windows for dual booting, all drivers are provided by apple upon installing but only work with windows 7, just remember to copy the drivers to usb and run the executable once installed. The drivers should be located in /Macintosh HD/Users/username/ in a folder called Windows Support, just copy that entire folder and you good to go. (Just remember the username folder represents the name of you account for example /Macintosh HD/Users/John/, also Macintosh HD represents the name of your internal HDD and is not a folder if you are confused)

good luck with your new iMacs and I hope you enjoy them:):apple:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Aaaah, just learned something new in all these years.

Always thought that a .DMG was an install file, but that makes sense.

Thank you for clarifying.

No worries.

You can put anything in a .DMG, for instance, open Disk Utility, under file new in Menu Bar there is for instance a way to create a DMG from a folder (See below), or create an empty one.

Attachments

• Picture 7.png
    Picture 7.png
    53.7 KB · Views: 47

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
f
or those who like the start button for easy access to apps just drag the Applications folder to your dock, when its there it opens like a menu
Interesting.

Just tried to do that from my user folder. It would not drag to the dock.

What am I doing wrong?

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
You dropped it in the wrong place, drop it on the far right next to the trash or if your dock is on the left or right on the bottom next to the trash.
That worked beautifully.

Thank you so much for that piece of advice. Great thing to have in the dock.

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
I just made the move to using osx a little over a year ago and the biggest problem for me was navigating the file system (still not very good at it lol).

one of the first things I did was change my keyboard to windows (using control instead of command).

I wouldn't recommend this. The best thing to do is learn to use it as OS X like it's meant to be, not use it as Windows. Don't try to make it like Windows so that it's familiar, but use it like OS X and you'll probably start wondering why Windows does some things the way it does!

I switched 10 1/2 years ago and it only took a month to get over using ctrl and using command instead.

I do agree that the file system was tough at first, but I love it so much more, and using it, especially through terminal, has taught me how to use the basics of Linux as well.

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
I wouldn't recommend this. The best thing to do is learn to use it as OS X like it's meant to be, not use it as Windows. Don't try to make it like Windows so that it's familiar, but use it like OS X and you'll probably start wondering why Windows does some things the way it does!

I switched 10 1/2 years ago and it only took a month to get over using ctrl and using command instead.

I do agree that the file system was tough at first, but I love it so much more, and using it, especially through terminal, has taught me how to use the basics of Linux as well.

yea I agree with the above, if your committed to the move then just go all in, after a week it will feel natural.

cesarhans

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
Toulouse - France
Go to macrumors beginners guide! Helped me a lot. And try to waste some time learning the new shortcuts (keyboard and mouse). One that was very useful was close tabs (command W) and close window (command Q).

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Go to macrumors beginners guide! Helped me a lot. And try to waste some time learning the new shortcuts (keyboard and mouse). One that was very useful was close tabs (command W) and close window (command Q).
Command-tab closes tabs and windows. Command-Q is used to quit an app. See the keyboard shortcuts link in the Helpful Information for Any Mac User that I linked in my last post.

sjz88

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
f
Interesting.

Just tried to do that from my user folder. It would not drag to the dock.

What am I doing wrong?

I know when coming from Windows you are used to have things on the Desktop. Instead of putting the user folder in the dock I would recommend using the combination "command+shift+h".
Once you get used to the common shortcuts it makes things so much easier!

NJelect

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2012
A lot depends on your use and or application for a computer.
The iMac is generally a lot more expensive since it caters to a particular type of user.
Additionally, the OS used on the mac is more proprietary and streamlined to operate more efficiently than Windows.

Truthfully, from the very beginning Apple always displayed an edge concerning the brilliance of the graphics, the latter does not mean it processed video faster although the eye view has always been more definitive.
The above is great for picture publishing along with the majority of video editing, artists practically always lean toward using a mac over a conventional PC.
However, it is important to realize that not everyone has an interest in an off-the-shelf computer (base model).
Actually, the latter is why Apple has a few optional configuration which are a welcome but they tend to go a little overboard with the price...

However, for the dedicated gamer that is pushing the envelope concerning extreme frame rates along with extended resolution a user built PC will always outperform the Apple.
Remember, the above is a little risky since the user is buying individual computer components and performing the integration.
A savy computer tech is willing to take a risk although the latter can become frustrating when things don't always work out as planned; one has to be careful in the selection of components.
In the past one could build a very inexpensive fast PC for gaming but today once you total all the high end PC hardware the cost is also high.
Final note: Concerning aesthetics - the mac has and will probably always depict a more finished and polished overall look compared to the square box - archaic pc footprint.

"I looked behind my PC to see if a tail was still attached" :D

Last edited:

pukingpixels

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Sweden
I am a Mac virgin and am a little nervous :eek::p

It's always scary the first time (some say it might even hurt a little).

But if you keep at it and enjoy the expericence of learning something new, you will get better at it and it will start to feel really good and eventually it will be the only thing you want to do. Using the Mac that is.

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
It's always scary the first time (some say it might even hurt a little).

But if you keep at it and enjoy the expericence of learning something new, you will get better at it and it will start to feel really good and eventually it will be the only thing you want to do..

thats what she told me too......

Hasn'tbeensober

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
I am new to Mac also!
plan to use Monolingual but have one question about it:
Beside deleting other languages which I dont need, what else can I benefit from this software?

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I am new to Mac also!
plan to use Monolingual but have one question about it:
Beside deleting other languages which I dont need, what else can I benefit from this software?
I recommend caution in using such apps, as removing the wrong thing can cause problems. The only benefit is saving a bit of drive space, by removing unneeded languages and architectures.

Freeing up drive space in Mac OS X

gagaliya

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
I just made the move to using osx a little over a year ago and the biggest problem for me was navigating the file system (still not very good at it lol).

one of the first things I did was change my keyboard to windows (using control instead of command).

Same here, i dont mind the visual differences or button changes, but mac's file system is a giant exercise of frustration for newbies used to windows including myself.

In windows, it's straight forward you have physical hdd/partitions mapped to drives mapped to folders and you move files to them. In mac it's a gigantic confusing mess to me, where you mount unmount stuff? i still have no idea where my files are located or installed or how to find them, making it even more confusing are iphoto, when i modified a photo it started creating random copies vs original etc..all over the filesystem. I ended up with multiple copies of the same photo and have no idea where they actually reside or what is what.

That was my first experience with osx on macbook pro, i purchased it to develop iphone apps (that part is fine, xcode is great and objective-c isnt too bad coming from java), but the osx file system itself is still a big mystery to me. After i got done with the iphone app i pretty much gave up and sold my macbook pro because of the confusing filesystem.

Now with imac i am determined to try it again and understand it...it's especially ironic since the core kernal is suppose to be based off linux, which i use at work daily. But just cant figure out logic and order how the osx file system works.

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
Now with imac i am determined to try it again and understand it...it's especially ironic since the core kernal is suppose to be based off linux, which i use at work daily. But just cant figure out logic and order how the osx file system works.

When you see something interesting in the Finder (like a file, folder, or disk icon), click it to select it, then File -> Get Info (or Cmd-I). The Info window gives you lots of details about the item; for files and folder it shows you the path.

For disks, you can get detailed info using Disk Utility (an application located in /Applications/Utilities).

Those two things should get you started with the Windows/unixy way of looking at files.

sostoobad

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2011
Boston
I too switched about a yr and a half ago. I currently have an ipad 2 , mac mini, a 2011 11" air and I am typing this on my 7 yr old ibook g4, bought it used for a short term need at my work. To the OP, best thing you can do is sign up for the apple one to one program, it costs 99.00 and you can go as long as you like, for a yr. Assuming you got your imac from apple.

I have gone 5 times and plan on many more, its a great value.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I'm waiting for my first iMac to be delivered and as well as the useful guides on here and apples support site, I also found youtube to be a source of information. Rather than just read guides you can watch people go through the processes. A word of caution though. Youtube is full of the good, the bad and the down right ugly! it's useful as an overview but I think a lot of the people posting on there are not to be trusted completely for advice. If in doubt ask an expert on here!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.