Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Finally got to see an iMac in store. It just seems like they went to great lengths to make the only the edges slimmer. When you look at it from the side, you aren't like "look at how thin it is!" but instead you are like, "oh potbelly". Wasn't the point to see it nearly disappear when you turned the corner?

Is there anything functionality wise that is better about the new design? I suppose one big fan could make it quieter. Is the ducting an engineering marvel? cause IMHO the slim edges were a waste of time and add to the cost of the production.

Enough is enough, I'm gonna go get myself a phat new Mac Pro.

B

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
Predictions on this thread

3 people ranting about the DVD drive

1 person defending the design

1 person to declare the death of DVD

3 Links to external DVD drives

2 people arguing the DVD lives

1 person mentioning the temperatures

1 windows troll entering the conversation

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Dud the real question is "why make it fatter?"

The optical drive was history. There's no reason to have an AIO computer any fatter than it has to be.

In the end so long as I don't have deal with reduced CPU or GPU performance Apple is free to make the damn thing as thin as they want.

I like the Mac Pro but I hope the next model in 2013 is much smaller as well.

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
Steve would have never let the new iMac go to production. Tim is running this company into the ground.

:rolleyes:

burninggarlic

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
People pay grands for better designed furniture with exactly the same function.
Why no one is chasing them?:(

PatrickCocoa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
Dude, you forgot . . .

You missed the obvious:
2 people saying "Steve would never have allowed X to happen".

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008

I can't believe Apple took the SuperDrive out of their consumer desktop computer! Still, the design is really sweet - the best-looking AIO on the market. Anyway, optical media are dead, now that we have digital downloads and iCloud. If you really need an optical drive, you can buy an external:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Porta...4497582&sr=8-7&keywords=optical+drive+usb+3.0

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SE-50...4497582&sr=8-8&keywords=optical+drive+usb+3.0

After all, DVDs are going to be around for a few more years.

One thing that does concern me about these thin new iMacs, though, is the heat - are components going to fail after a year or two?

But let's face it: The new iMacs are a lame upgrade. Apple has stopped innovating. They're doomed. Windows 8 blows OS X out of the water. Personally, I'm going to buy the Dell XPS One 27.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
You missed the obvious:
2 people saying "Steve would never have allowed X to happen".

I forgot to mention: Steve never would have let the pot-belly back get beyond the prototype stage. If he were still alive, the entire iMac would have been 5 mm thick (I mean thin).

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
The next redesign will (hopefully) be 2mm thick all around, with a 2TB 1200RPM drive and no USB ports (dead tech).

MacFoodPoisoner

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
There's nothing in terms of functionality that's actually better in this imac op.

On the contrary the slimmer design makes for worse thermals and might be more prone to hardware failures and screen blemishes. The new design also doesn't manage to save on the footprint of the device or enable proper ergonomics a la the imac g4.

It's also crippled the speakers of the imac that have become bass-less affairs. And yes, a good aio should have good speakers, cause I 've heard people go, add external ones... yeah, add external spearks, an external odd, an external thunderbolt hd, future upgrades in say gfx have also been suggested to be external via thunderbolt...then why the eff do we buy an AIO to begin with?

Same footprint, worse speakers, same poor ergonomics, worse thermals...

The competition has height adjustable and swivel capable aio's, they have touch enabled aio's and they have aio's opening for upgrades with a flick of a switch and a lever. Apple doesn't offer any of that.

They can pat themselves in the back all they want for the kate moss with a beer belly, or the ipad (with a beer belly too) on a stick, but a great design it ain't, it's hard to be great when you are not even pretty good...

Last edited:

OlMighty

macrumors member
May 18, 2012
There's no reason to have an AIO computer any fatter than it has to be.

Fatter than it has to be for what?

I've seen the new design in store and there's no denying that it is fantastic; I plan to buy a 27" as soon as I sort my finances. But the point of an All-in-one computer should be fairly self-explanatory.

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas

This made me LOL. Thanks

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Fatter than it has to be for what?

I've seen the new design in store and there's no denying that it is fantastic; I plan to buy a 27" as soon as I sort my finances. But the point of an All-in-one computer should be fairly self-explanatory.

I think you would be better off with a mini, and spending the remaining balance on really good monitor. More reliable use of funds IMO. : )

B

OlMighty

macrumors member
May 18, 2012
I think you would be better off with a mini, and spending the remaining balance on really good monitor. More reliable use of funds IMO. : )

B

I'm wavering between doing just that, the new imac, or getting a refurb previous generation iMac and loading it up with RAM/SSD. Decisions decisions...

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
I'm wavering between doing just that, the new imac, or getting a refurb previous generation iMac and loading it up with RAM/SSD. Decisions decisions...

I've done hard drive replacements on the previous generation imac and mac mini. While both are somewhat tedious, the mini was less stressful. I think because if I totally killed it, would be cheaper to replace than iMac.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.