Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Seems it's been pulled. Update shows up but when attempting to update the App Store gives the error that "The item you tried to buy is no longer available." Seem to remember the original Gmail app being pulled right away in similar manner.

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
Visually, it looks very Windows 8-ish...all those thin fonts everywhere. Not a huge fan of this look.

Still looking for a viable reason to use this app over or in conjunction with Apple's Mail app...If anybody has any examples of how this app is better than the native iOS mail app, please do share.

Sailguy

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2011
Two Questions

1. Anybody else have the problem with the badge # not matching the total unread emails?

2. I never saw an option to activate push emails from Gmail when starting the app. Does this app automatically receive push emails or is there a place to go for this setting?

Otherwise, great looking app. For those of us with multiple gmail accounts (but no other email accounts outside of gmail), this is fantastic.

Sailguy

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Visually, it looks very Windows 8-ish...all those thin fonts everywhere. Not a huge fan of this look.

Still looking for a viable reason to use this app over or in conjunction with Apple's Mail app...If anybody has any examples of how this app is better than the native iOS mail app, please do share.

Same here, I hate the "thread" look in emails. I use it for my 1 gmail email, I use that for junk to sign up for and stuff.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010

Agreed. Looks like it could almost be a Windows Phone app with the fonts used. I'm okay with that, though. It looks clean.

As to why I use the Gmail app over the stock mail app. . .it automatically pulls all the from addresses that I use with my Gmail account. Also, it pulls all the signatures for each from address I use. The stock mail app can do both of these things, but not without a lot of extra work. You have to manually enter each signature for each from address on your iOS device. Not fun if, like me, you do consulting work and have five or six different from addresses each with unique signatures.

Also, if I change a signature via the Gmail web interface and use the stock mail app, the signature isn't updated accordingly. If I use the Gmail app, the signature is automatically updated.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC

Labels, stars, etc.

ahmet

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2012
Seems it's been pulled. Update shows up but when attempting to update the App Store gives the error that "The item you tried to buy is no longer available." Seem to remember the original Gmail app being pulled right away in similar manner.

just reinstall it. it worked for me ;)

kakwvu

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2012
Am I missing something or is there no unified inbox option like there was in the previous version (or in Sparrow)?

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
Am I missing something or is there no unified inbox option like there was in the previous version (or in Sparrow)?

Biggest drawback for me as well. Though this is somewhat mitigated by the fact that you can open directly into a specific message but sliding or clicking the notification.

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
So to use this app, and no longer use the native ios mail app, what needs to be done? Input my account info into this app, then go into Mail Settings in IOS Settings, and delete my GMAIL and Exchange accounts?
When I switched over to the Gmail app, I simply put the iOS Mail app in the background, I guess you could say. I set it to only update manually and to never give me notices or badges. This is the best option, because if you use the Share option in one of your favorite apps and choose Email, you're going to want to still have your accounts set up in iOS / Mail app, because it won't be able to use the Gmail app to send those emails.

Otterblue

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2012
Canada
Yeah, I'm getting told that "The item you tried to buy is no longer available". I guess I'll try again tomorrow.

Ditto. Getting this error on iTunes:

Attachments

• SS.png
    SS.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 56

plawler

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011

No, it hasn't been pulled. IF you can't install via Update, just delete the App and reinstall it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.