Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which torch do you prefer?

• Olympic Torch

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Paralympic Torch

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
England!
Hi

So, both the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic torches are beautiful pieces of engineering. I love them both - they are both worthy of Apple - but can't decide which I prefer (possibly considering purchasing one). What do you think Which one is best? If you were a collector, which would you prefer? The more common Olympic Torch or the much rarer Paralympic Torch? 8000 units VS 1000 units.

TM-Olympic-Paralympic-torches.jpg
tumblr_m99f1hK1151qbkysho1_1280.jpg

or: This picture!

Vote in the poll above!

UPDATE: Silver is the Paralympic Torch, Gold is the Olympic Torch.

Sam

Last edited:

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
No idea which is which, but they look the same to me short of their color. So isn't it just a matter of gold vs. silver? And isn't silver 2nd place? :p

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
England!
Which torch is Olympic and which is the Paralympic?

Sorry I didn't say in the post - Gold is Olympic, Silver is Paralympic.

----------

No idea which is which, but they look the same to me short of their color. So isn't it just a matter of gold vs. silver? And isn't silver 2nd place? :p

I've updated the thread to say - I guess you could think of it like that, but I think it's more about Gold been a different event entirely to the Silver.

It is a case of Gold or Silver yes, but it's also about which event is more important, and the rarity of the torches, what with there been 1/8 of the amount of silver ones as there are of the gold ones.

Sam

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I've updated the thread to say - I guess you could think of it like that, but I think it's more about Gold been a different event entirely to the Silver.

It is a case of Gold or Silver yes, but it's also about which event is more important, and the rarity of the torches, what with there been 1/8 of the amount of silver ones as there are of the gold ones.

Are you buying it because it means something to you, for decoration, or hope to resell later? It sounds like you're wanting buying advice instead of wanting to know our preferences. Personally I don't care for either, for decoration I'd probably go silver, and for rarity... that's hard to tell. Sure there are fewer of the silver ones but that's likely in part because there are fewer people that want them, not to make them more collectible. The gold ones will probably be worth more in the end simply because more people know things that happened at the 2012 Olympics over the Paralympics.

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
England!
Are you buying it because it means something to you, for decoration, or hope to resell later? It sounds like you're wanting buying advice instead of wanting to know our preferences. Personally I don't care for either, for decoration I'd probably go silver, and for rarity... that's hard to tell. Sure there are fewer of the silver ones but that's likely in part because there are fewer people that want them, not to make them more collectible. The gold ones will probably be worth more in the end simply because more people know things that happened at the 2012 Olympics over the Paralympics.

I think I'm probably buying it for decoration - I think it's a beautiful piece of art. But I also want it to maintain it's value. So the poll is about: which do you prefer?

jeremy h

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
Sure there are fewer of the silver ones but that's likely in part because there are fewer people that want them, not to make them more collectible. The gold ones will probably be worth more in the end simply because more people know things that happened at the 2012 Olympics over the Paralympics.

That's valid and true but the paralympics seem to came of age this time (it all played to sold out venues and we were all glued to it just like the Olympics etc) so there's some emotional tug to that one in my book.

Nice things to have though in either colour. How much is a guide price for one of them?

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
England!
That's valid and true but the paralympics seem to came of age this time (it all played to sold out venues and we were all glued to it just like the Olympics etc) so there's some emotional tug to that one in my book.

Nice things to have though in either colour. How much is a guide price for one of them?

I agree - the Paralympics really got going this year - had tremendous support. About £1700 I think.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I think I'm probably buying it for decoration - I think it's a beautiful piece of art. But I also want it to maintain it's value. So the poll is about: which do you prefer?
How will something that they only made 500 of lose it's value? Those are unique that you can't just go to Walmart and buy. And if your not going to light it to cook smores what good is it unless you actually ran with it.

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
England!
How will something that they only made 500 of lose it's value? Those are unique that you can't just go to Walmart and buy. And if your not going to light it to cook smores what good is it unless you actually ran with it.

I agree about the value thing, but not with your thoughts on it's use. I think it's a piece of art - don't you think it is beautiful?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I agree about the value thing, but not with your thoughts on it's use. I think it's a piece of art - don't you think it is beautiful?
Sure it is but it just seems like a waste of money unless it holds sentimental value.

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.

I'm going to expose myself here, but no, it is not beautiful to me.

Nice? Sure. But I don't quite see the fascination of it judging by these pictures. It looks just like I would expect a metal torch to.

Perhaps if I had a more emotional attachment to the events or the torches themselves...
But to look at? I think they are ok.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I had no idea such a fuss (and that's the wrong word, sorry!) is made over these! That's a lot of money.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Silver. I think he gold is a bit 90s gaudy rich sorta kinda thing. Also, apple would never make a big gold thing anyway. If it was a gold medal, I would take it. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.