Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Akwaaba

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2011
View playlist in shuffle order?

Is there any way to view playlists in the shuffled order, as in previous versions of iTunes? This was one of my favorite features. Now the only option seems to be viewing playlists in a static numerical order. This is also how they now export to ipod. I know you can view the shuffled order in the annoying popup window, but is there any way to restore that functionality to the playlist itself? And why would Apple toss out such a useful and popular function in the first place?

boldac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
added data and link about selecting multiple files at once and using this to either add to or remove from the Up Next feature

boldac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Is there any way to view playlists in the shuffled order, as in previous versions of iTunes? This was one of my favorite features. Now the only option seems to be viewing playlists in a static numerical order. This is also how they now export to ipod. I know you can view the shuffled order in the annoying popup window, but is there any way to restore that functionality to the playlist itself? And why would Apple toss out such a useful and popular function in the first place?

I'm a little confused what you are asking. If you want to shuffle your playlist, just start playing it (or add it to up next) using the shuffle icon. Does that help?

Attachments

• add-shuffled.jpg
    add-shuffled.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 88

Akwaaba

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2011
I'm a little confused what you are asking. If you want to shuffle your playlist, just start playing it (or add it to up next) using the shuffle icon. Does that help?
Yes, I know that the playlist can be played in shuffled mode, and that the shuffle order can be viewed in Up Next, but the playlist itself remains a static numbered list. Previously, when a playlist was shuffled, the playlist would display the shuffled sequence. Then this shuffled sequence could be exported to ipod. This functionality now seems to be gone.

boldac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Yes, I know that the playlist can be played in shuffled mode, and that the shuffle order can be viewed in Up Next, but the playlist itself remains a static numbered list. Previously, when a playlist was shuffled, the playlist would display the shuffled sequence. Then this shuffled sequence could be exported to ipod. This functionality now seems to be gone.

Oh, I got you covered. Say your original playlist was 80s.

1. Use my method above to create a shuffled Up Next list with your 80s playlist.

2. Create a new playlist 80s-shuffled.

3. Select and drag the Up Next list to the new 80s-shuffled playlist

4. Sync the 80s-shuffled playlist

Akwaaba

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2011
Oh, I got you covered. Say your original playlist was 80s.

1. Use my method above to create a shuffled Up Next list with your 80s playlist.

2. Create a new playlist 80s-shuffled.

3. Select and drag the Up Next list to the new 80s-shuffled playlist

4. Sync the 80s-shuffled playlist

Thanks, Boldac. I suppose that could work as a short-term fix, until Apple hopefully restores this functionality.:mad: The only problem is that Up Next only seems to display the next 20 songs and my playlist is around 1500 songs. And I can't see a way to save Up Next as a new playlist.

boldac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Thanks, Boldac. I suppose that could work as a short-term fix, until Apple hopefully restores this functionality.:mad: The only problem is that Up Next only seems to display the next 20 songs and my playlist is around 1500 songs. And I can't see a way to save Up Next as a new playlist.

Uhggg.... yuck. Yeah, I see now it'll only copy 20 over at a time. Sorry. :( I tried playing with the smart playlist to see if I could figure out how to randomly load songs from a certain playlist. It might work but you'd have to provide a limit of how many songs or amount of music you wanted.

for example, smart playlist called 80s-shuffled from 80s playlist ->limited by 1hr selected at random.

Not ideal.

redfirebird08

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
I don't like how clicking into a different tab and going back to the previous one leads to everything being re-sorted back to the "A" part of your music. For instance, I was looking at some Led Zeppelin music. When I clicked into a different tab (playlists) and then clicked back to the artist tab, it went all the way back to the "A" part of my music collection.

Why can't it remember where you were the last time you were in that tab? Feels like the equivalent of switching tabs in Safari and when going back to the old tab it takes you back to your home page instead of leaving you on the page that you last visited before leaving the tab.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
This one really bothers me
I don't know how to see exactly how many minutes my playlists are on iTunes 11. This wasn't a problem in the older versions

I feel you on this one too. Also can't seem to search music on any iPod or iPhone while it's plugged in. It only seems to search your library stored on your computer. This sucks becasue I have over 25,000 songs on my iPod and it was very useful.

mkwd

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2010
Antwerp, Belgium, Europe
Is there any way to get back the dark background in album grid view? The option isn't there anymore in preferences but I guess it must be possible by adding it to or editing the system library. I never liked the white background, think it's just plain.
thanks.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I don't like how clicking into a different tab and going back to the previous one leads to everything being re-sorted back to the "A" part of your music. For instance, I was looking at some Led Zeppelin music. When I clicked into a different tab (playlists) and then clicked back to the artist tab, it went all the way back to the "A" part of my music collection.

Why can't it remember where you were the last time you were in that tab? Feels like the equivalent of switching tabs in Safari and when going back to the old tab it takes you back to your home page instead of leaving you on the page that you last visited before leaving the tab.

Turning off 'Search Entire Library' disables that behavior.

So far I can't see any benefit to searching the entire library, it makes the behavior so random. Great, I get fancy results in a drop down list, but I can't search across multiple descriptors (ie. album and artists), it doesn't filter the song list in real time, and it constantly resets the views every time you change tabs. Turning it off is a big improvement.

boldac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
added how to download all podcast episodes

1. podcasts
2. list view
3. black down arrow to left side to view all
4. gray download all arrow to right side

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
My artists grid is now a microscopic list of artists! I want it BACK. :mad:

I had to come back and voice this again. I HATE that they took away the simple way of seeing nice big album covers that correlate to your artists. I have to file a complaint with them now.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2008
My artists grid is now a microscopic list of artists! I want it BACK. :mad:

I had to come back and voice this again. I HATE that they took away the simple way of seeing nice big album covers that correlate to your artists. I have to file a complaint with them now.

I don't understand why they take stuff away, yeah. I actually like the artist list, but when I click on it, I want to see an album grid, just as it looks in the "album" view. When I click on an album then I want it to expand, just like it works under album view.

I don't understand why every sorting method has a different UI. It seems awfully stupid that way.

squidkitten

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Omaha
I think the most frustrating thing about the lack of the sidebar album art is that I no longer know how to edit the album artwork for multiple items at once. Is there a way to do that?

Previously I could just highlight an entire album, right click on the album art, and paste artwork from online.

Yesterday my hard drive crashed and it looks like my most recent back up was two months ago (ughhh), and any album editing I've done in the last week is gone. So it'll be really helpful to know how to edit albums more efficiently!

boldac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
I think the most frustrating thing about the lack of the sidebar album art is that I no longer know how to edit the album artwork for multiple items at once. Is there a way to do that?

Previously I could just highlight an entire album, right click on the album art, and paste artwork from online.

Yesterday my hard drive crashed and it looks like my most recent back up was two months ago (ughhh), and any album editing I've done in the last week is gone. So it'll be really helpful to know how to edit albums more efficiently!

Select multiple songs for the same art work. Get Info. Drag artwork into the box.

Bawtyshouse

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
Sort by Artist vs Sort by Album Artist?

the old system automatically sorted by song artist, the new one does not
for example

if I type Ray Charles in the search bar, it only returns the songs by Ray Charles on a Ray Charles album

it does not return any song by Ray Charles where the album artist is Various Artists

need a fix for this

any suggestions

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
the old system automatically sorted by song artist, the new one does not
for example

if I type Ray Charles in the search bar, it only returns the songs by Ray Charles on a Ray Charles album

it does not return any song by Ray Charles where the album artist is Various Artists

need a fix for this

any suggestions

Turn off 'Search Entire Library'.

The other option is to leave it on and press Enter when the search string is complete or click 'Show xxx in Music' at the very top of the Search bar results list when typing.

If you use the second method, it will start to filter in real time after you press Enter. I'm not sure why they require that extra step, so I just leave Search Entire Library off for now.

Bawtyshouse

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
Turn off 'Search Entire Library'.

The other option is to leave it on and press Enter when the search string is complete or click 'Show xxx in Music' at the very top of the Search bar results list when typing.

If you use the second method, it will start to filter in real time after you press Enter. I'm not sure why they require that extra step, so I just leave Search Entire Library off for now.

thanks, that is perfect. my best thanks to you

Bawtyshouse

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
Auto-import Amazon mp3's to itunes?

this used to happen automatically, now itunes 11 wont add the album i just bought from amazon. had to add it manually. any ideas?

Bawtyshouse

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
will not add automatically from firefox "downloads"

OK, to be more specific than the above message

when I a download a song (in firefox) the little "downloads" box pops up.

in itunes 10, i could double-click on the song in the downloads box, and it would (1) add the song to my itunes library and (2) begin playing the song

now it seems the only way to add a song to the library is in itunes, go file>add file to library>select file from list, etc

any ideas?

itunes 11 is killing me

mikejg

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
Anyone know how to search the music library on the connected devices in iTunes 11? In iTunes 10 if I was viewing, say my iPhone music library I could search for song in the iPhone's library. iTunes 11 either cannot do this or it is not readily apparent.

Thank you.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
OK, to be more specific than the above message

when I a download a song (in firefox) the little "downloads" box pops up.

in itunes 10, i could double-click on the song in the downloads box, and it would (1) add the song to my itunes library and (2) begin playing the song

now it seems the only way to add a song to the library is in itunes, go file>add file to library>select file from list, etc

any ideas?

itunes 11 is killing me

This must have been some kind of add-on you had installed in Firefox as that doesn't work natively. It probably broke when iTunes was updated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.