Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Soon after the launch of the 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro in June, we pointed to an analysis by AnandTech showing how the need to drive a massive number of pixels taxed the graphics capabilities of the machine to the point where it struggled to hit 20 frames per second while scrolling on resource-intensive web pages such as Facebook news feeds.

AnandTech now follows up with a new report based on a thread in our forums showing that the latest builds of WebKit, the open source browser engine upon which Safari is based, demonstrate dramatically improved frame rates during scrolling.
I grabbed a build (r135516 - it's no longer the latest build but I assume the later builds also contain the fix) and tried it out on the 13-inch rMBP. Scrolling down my Facebook news feed ended up being one of the best showcases for poor scrolling performance on the rMBPs, so that's obviously the first test I ran. As always I used Quartz Debug to measure UI frame rate.
The results show frame rates of around 20 frames per second (fps) under the standard Safari 6.0.2, but jump to nearly 50 fps when using nightly build r135516 of WebKit.

webkit_retina_frame_rate.jpg
Frame rates approaching 50 fps when scrolling in WebKit nightly build r135515
AnandTech hasn't been able to determine exactly what code changes were made to enable the significant boost to scrolling performance on Retina MacBook Pro models, and it is unclear exactly when those changes will be incorporated into Safari itself, but it certainly seems that a solution is on its way.

Article Link: Latest WebKit Builds Address Browser Scrolling Performance on Retina MacBook Pro Models

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
Great, that was the major concern I had that was holding me from purchase a new macbook pro: Poor web browsing performance. Kudos to Apple, for working on optimising the code rather than trying to sell another model with faster processor in just a few months. I am so glad they managed to address this as it was rather irritating...

Last edited:

tim000

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2011
Thank god. It's the worst part of this expensive machine. Think I'll just install the nightly rather than wait.

----------

Now bring us a Retina CS6, upgradable RAM and we'll be cruising :D.

thertrain

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2005
Impressive

Downloaded the nightly build of webkit and the browser is much faster and smoother on my RMBP. Thanks for the article and reference link. :apple:

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Sweet.

It's a shame so many "trusted" review sites (including The Verge) dinged the rMBP and blamed the hardware.... for what is clearly a software problem.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Sweet.

It's a shame so many "trusted" review sites (including The Verge) dinged the rMBP and blamed the hardware.... for what is clearly a software problem.

This isn't the only area where lag is found. There is general UI lag in the OS as well. Not to say that there isn't some software issues there as well, but they have a lot of evidence that GPUs just aren't up to snuff yet.

Edit: Why haven't I downloaded nightly builds before? This fixed multiple issues I had been having with Safari.

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
helloo ooo webkit nightlies.

EDIT: Hooooly moly, the article doesn't lie.

Scrolling theverge.com for instance, is like night(ly) and day when compared between Safari and WebKit.

Think I'll be switching over for a while...

Last edited:

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
Does it REALLY say that the 2000 euro machine can't (couldn't) scroll the web smoothly...? Sheesh, and people get all upset about a maps application you have plenty of alternatives for. :confused:

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
who cares about safari. so does this mean chrome will finally be as speedy on the RMBP?

th1nk

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
wow theverge.com is now finally nearly fluid on my 2012 MBA! thanks!

dutchrazor

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2009
This isn't the only area where lag is found. There is general UI lag in the OS as well. Not to say that there isn't some software issues there as well, but they have a lot of evidence that GPUs just aren't up to snuff yet.

Edit: Why haven't I downloaded nightly builds before? This fixed multiple issues I had been having with Safari.

I haven't noticed anything besides the scrolling, then again my previous MBP probably had some lag because it was quite old. Which instances can you detect the UI lag?

The scrolling lag is completely gone with the new Webkit build by the way.

CptnJustc

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2007
Does it REALLY say that the 2000 euro machine can't (couldn't) scroll the web smoothly...? Sheesh, and people get all upset about a maps application you have plenty of alternatives for. :confused:

Well, 20 fps scrolling of Facebook isn't exactly the Nerdpocalypse, either.

What has been annoying, I've found, is significant lag fairly frequently in Mission Control.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Great, that was the major concern I had that was holding me from purchase a new macbook pro: Poor web browsing performance. Kudos to Apple, for working on optimising the code rather than trying to sell another model with faster processor in just a few months. I am so glad they managed to address this as it was rather irritating...

Apple didn't do anything, webkit did which is mostly people from KHTML which is what webkit was forked from.

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc
Well, 20 fps scrolling of Facebook isn't exactly the Nerdpocalypse, either.

What has been annoying, I've found, is significant lag fairly frequently in Mission Control.

10.8.3 beta fixed that lag for me :) hope it stay that way when the final is eventualy released.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Apple didn't do anything, webkit did which is mostly people from KHTML which is what webkit was forked from.

That was ages ago. Today's webkit is a much larger beast than that old KHTML. Go ask Dave Hyatt how much work he's put into Webkit as an Apple employee.

To say Apple hasn't make a significant investment in Webkit is to be either ignorant or foolish or both.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I cant say I've ever noticed this myself. I'm assuming it only happens in certain circumstances?

(Using Chrome, 15" rMBP)

ConCat

macrumors 6502a

The issue with the nightlies is they're highly unreliable. Every now and then an update comes in that makes it crash all day, introduce rendering errors, etc. It's meant for testing and nothing else. Only a fraction of the changes in the nightly actually gets into release WebKit.

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
I cant say I've ever noticed this myself. I'm assuming it only happens in certain circumstances?

(Using Chrome, 15" rMBP)

Well, I can't say I've noticed any scrolling issues in FB on my rMBP - except when FB is still loading images.

The only noticeable regular glitch is clicking on Quick Links at the top of these forums. About 2/3rds of the time it draws the drop down menu in two steps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.