Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I tried to get an unclock for Softbank here in Japan but ti was going to be over $200 USD. Apparently the Softbank unlocks have only been available for a couple weeks now or something. But I call BS if all these are only Apple server side unlocks. Shouldn't matter what country right? Why do unlocks for other countries take so long compared with other countries?

Could I use an eBay unlock for my iPhone 4 here in Japan?

If someone finally has an "in" to get SoftBank iPhones IMEI unlocked, they will charge plenty for it since up to now it has not been available.
Law of supply and demand.
If this unlocker gets some competition, prices will go down.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
If someone finally has an "in" to get SoftBank iPhones IMEI unlocked, they will charge plenty for it since up to now it has not been available.
Law of supply and demand.
If this unlocker gets some competition, prices will go down.

Exactly.
Simple, Supply and demand.
How many softbank imei unlock sellers you see on ebay?
Now check how many AT&T IMEI sellers are on ebay. 100's or more.

Last edited:

seifhatem

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2010
Egypt
Did this get sorted out? I'm on Softbank too. I found a legit company online that unlocks them but it was like $250. Seriously. I wouldn't pay more than a little more than the cost of a Gevey SIM. It's worth a little more cause it's more convenient but that's it.
SoftBank Supported Devices:
iPhone 4 8 GB
iPhone 4S 8GB
iPhone 4S 16 GB

unlucky777

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
For those out of the loop, it's become fairly easy to factory unlock an iPhone using official/safe methods. The only reason you should pay is for convenience or your phone does not meet the requirements to be factory unlocked and you don't have the perseverance to call your phone carrier a million times until you get a rep who'll do it for you.

First, check if your provider offers the unlock @ http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1937

Then, check if you fulfill all the requirements for the unlock from your perspective carrier. They will most likely be similar to ATT https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/ (things like contractual commitments)

If everything is good, you can either proceed to unlock your phone from the second link provided (ATT users) or you can save a lot of time by calling your carrier. If they try to BS you, tell them you meet all the requirements to unlocking your phone and to stop wasting your time.

yehudah72

macrumors regular
May 4, 2008
can you unlock iPhone 5 - Orange UK ?:D

I used appledatabase.com to unlock SIX iPhone 4S... i went with their "slowest" (cheapest @ $5.99 USD) service and worked beyond super awesome!!! apple database.com actually buys their service from Novasd.com, but is much much cheaper :)

I didn't even have to plug into iTunes... the phone said: "Need Activation" and after sliding the "slide to unlock" bar on screen, the phone rebooted itself and "activated" itself... Now shows T-Mobile!!!

Abhiishek

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2013
Must be different here in the UK as I bought my 4s from a guy when it was just a week old. Next day I rang the 3 network it was locked to and they unlocked it for £15 Took them a day to do it but they just text me and told me to plug into iTunes and it was done.

Hey I have a I phone 4 locked to t mobile uk pls help getting it factory unlocked, my cousin bought it for full 200 pound for me but it's locked.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
For those out of the loop, it's become fairly easy to factory unlock an iPhone using official/safe methods. The only reason you should pay is for convenience or your phone does not meet the requirements to be factory unlocked and you don't have the perseverance to call your phone carrier a million times until you get a rep who'll do it for you.

First, check if your provider offers the unlock @ http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1937

Then, check if you fulfill all the requirements for the unlock from your perspective carrier. They will most likely be similar to ATT https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/ (things like contractual commitments)

If everything is good, you can either proceed to unlock your phone from the second link provided (ATT users) or you can save a lot of time by calling your carrier. If they try to BS you, tell them you meet all the requirements to unlocking your phone and to stop wasting your time.
People do this because they don't want to wait 2 years to get it unlocked officially. Especially if you travel a lot.

AT&T iPhones can be unlocked for about $5 or thereabouts.

Not anymore, maybe in a few months again. I paid for my unlock of my 5S $2 before AT&T changed their system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.