Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Our family always did a lot with the American Cancer Society, until we really got to spend some quality time getting to know some members of the board well. Turns out, big surprise, there's about, oh, ZERO interest in pursuing an actual cure, unless the cure somehow, inconceivably, becomes as profitable as the treatment. Then, the behemoth Livestrong turned out to be a racket too, with the lucrative charity spending NO money on cancer research, but on "PR" and "awareness" instead. ...pretty sure everyone's aware of cancer by now, thanks. How much is Lance getting paid for those appearances? $400,000... Nice priorities ya got there.

It's almost as bad as the faith-based charities we used to donate millions to. By the time my generation went over and worked a few missions, we found workers only administering treatment to those who'd convert to christianity, or attend mass, stop speaking their native languages and only speak english, or even adopt laws laid down by US evangelical churches, village-wide. Laws prohibiting condoms in HIV stricken communities, real ACTUAL witch hunts, unnecessary female circumcisions, death penalty for homosexuals, etc etc etc. As if what the humanitarian crisis really needed was a solid dose of the dark ages. Every time you think you have an idea of how bad it can get, it gets worse.

So now we're down to donating to UW-Madison, Scripps, Docs w/o Borders, Engineers w/o borders, & the Red Cross. They earn every penny of support they get the hard way. I'm glad to see Apple making some (any) gesture of goodwill. It all adds up.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I'm calling you out.

You really have anger issues. I didn't bother reading, it's completely unnecessary. I don't know why you are taking my comment, which wasn't directed at you, so personally.

I hope you have a great holiday season, and on topic, I am thankful companies such as Apple do something to make the world a better place. :)

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
You really have anger issues. I didn't bother reading, it's completely unnecessary. I don't know why you are taking my comment, which wasn't directed at you, so personally.

I hope you have a great holiday season, and on topic, I am thankful companies such as Apple do something to make the world a better place. :)

Apologies if you can't handle being incorrect; ignoring something is a great defense mechanism. Must be an awful blissful world up there.

And anger issues? That's awfully presumptuous to assume such based on language of an Internet forum, wouldn't you say? I don't suppose you would correct someone who clearly is disseminating false information, would you now?

Can't disagree with your last comment -- likewise.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Apologies if you can't handle being incorrect; ignoring something is a great defense mechanism. Must be an awful blissful world up there.

And anger issues? That's awfully presumptuous to assume such based on language of an Internet forum, wouldn't you say? I don't suppose you would correct someone who clearly is disseminating false information, would you now?

Can't disagree with your last comment -- likewise.

Oh I absolutely could engage you by responding to your lengthy posts, but why would I? Would it change your mind? Would it make a difference? I've learned when to pick my battles, and this is a no win scenario.

I do not respond to posts that claim others to be ignorant, stupid, paranoid "tin foil hat" wearing, etc. Why would I? Why would anyone? It's pointless. You are insulting, rude, headstrong, judgmental, arrogant - why would I engage you? Remember, it is you who posted to me, and not in kind. I don't want to waste my time with an endless debate with a stranger that has made grandiose assumptions about me based on three comments on a tech website, sorry.

Take care :)

Cavalier777

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2012
The majority of those babies are born from women who were raped by HIV positive men. I recall ~85-90% of HIV positive babies were from women who were raped (and not simply claiming to be raped). Many, if not the majority, from Africa (Darfur/Sudan), the Middle East, and other patriarchal third world nations in which education and safety are near non-existent for women.

Either many are simply posting to inflame others or there is an abundance of ignorance in this thread. Do some honestly believe people are "bug chasers", rushing out to get infected? SMH

it IS the internet...

KnighsTalker

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2009
In the Web
Is it coincidental that fact that Apple started doing this after Jobs death??? Did he really pass from cancer? Why doesn't Apple partake or have anything to with cancer?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.