Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
The way apple handled the iOS 6 update has left me wondering if the iPhone 4 will get iOS7. Historically, the iPhone gets two updates after it's release. But with iOS 6, there was an exception, which I think many were rather surprised by at the time.

iPhone 2g: Shipped with iOS 1 and was updated to iOS 2 and 3.
iPhone 3g: Shipped with iOS 2 and was updated to iOS 3 and 4
iPhone 3gs: Shipped with iOS 3 and was updated to iOS 4, iOS 5, AND iOS 6.
iPhone 4: Shipped with iOS 4 and was updated to iOS 5, and 6. iOS 7?
iPhone 4s: Shipped with iOS 5 and was updated to iOS 6 and will almost surely be updated to iOS 7.
iPhone 5: Shipped with iOS 6...

The lack of features in the iOS 6 update for the iPhone 4 makes me think the answer is no.

What do you all think?

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
The way apple handled the iOS 6 update has left me wondering if the iPhone 4 will get iOS7. Historically, the iPhone gets two updates after it's release. But with iOS 6, there was an exception, which I think many were rather surprised by at the time.

iPhone 2g: Shipped with iOS 1 and was updated to iOS 2 and 3.
iPhone 3g: Shipped with iOS 2 and was updated to iOS 3 and 4
iPhone 3gs: Shipped with iOS 3 and was updated to iOS 4, iOS 5, AND iOS 6.
iPhone 4: Shipped with iOS 4 and was updated to iOS 5, and 6. iOS 7?
iPhone 4s: Shipped with iOS 5 and was updated to iOS 6 and will almost surely be updated to iOS 7.
iPhone 5: Shipped with iOS 6...

The lack of features in the iOS 6 update for the iPhone 4 makes me think the answer is no.

What do you all think?
It's pretty obvious it will. the 3GS got iOS 6 and the 4 has better tech than it but then they will kill it off.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Other than the bump in ram and screen resolution the cpu and gpu are essentially the same in the 3gs and 4.

I think it will be updated to iOS 7. The iPhone 4 runs perfectly on iOS 6. They will most likely hold back more features.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Can't say anything for sure, and no one can confirm anything. But since Apple is currently selling the iPhone 4 right now, it makes sense for them to support iOS 7, although I think many features will not be available.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
But it's also facetime camera, better sound cards/chips and other technologies. If you pick up a 4, it's much faster then a 3GS even though the screen res is higher.

Other than the bump in ram and screen resolution the cpu and gpu are essentially the same in the 3gs and 4.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
But it's also facetime camera, better sound cards/chips and other technologies. If you pick up a 4, it's much faster then a 3GS even though the screen res is higher.

I don't think its MUCH faster. From what I saw from the iPhone 4 users around me, its only a second or two faster, not night and day difference. Speed bump is mostly due to the 256 vs 512 MB RAM difference.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Yeah but the 4s is only a second or two faster than the 4, and the 5 is only a second or two faster than the 4s. So that second or two seems to make a big difference whether apple will support iOS 7 on the 4.

I don't think its MUCH faster. From what I saw from the iPhone 4 users around me, its only a second or two faster, not night and day difference. Speed bump is mostly due to the 256 vs 512 MB RAM difference.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012

The 4 has a different processor then the 3GS as well.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I think by iOS 7 iPhone sales will soften a just a bit. In turn the iPhone 4 will not get the upgrade, in order to stimulate more phone sales. Apple is the master of marketing & control. They always keep it moving in their favor.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
both run the ARM cortex A8. The 4 is just clocked 200mhz higher.

Exactly. What's more, the iPhone 4 needs to push 4 times the amount of pixels, so it may be abut taxing for the processor. My 3GS is still running decently on iOS 6.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009

Yes. The biggest difference between the 4 and the 3GS (internally) is the doubled RAM and the retina display.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
both run the ARM cortex A8. The 4 is just clocked 200mhz higher.

Right but just because its the same architecture does not mean its the same processor. The 3GS does not Have the A4 Chip which has many differences.

Thats like saying that the i3 and the i7 processors are the same chip because they are both based on the Haswell architecture.

sawah

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
Actually an old 3G of mine also gets ios 5.1 if you cared to add that to your list.

iALLOUT4eva

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
PlayDay Land
I think the ip4 will support ios7 #. However it may be best to stick with ios6 on it #. The reason I say this is because of the ip3g had io4 support but it was horrendous because ios4 brought multitasking,and we all know the ip3g did not have enough ram for that #. So ios7 might bring something to the table that prevents the ip4 from being fully functional on it #. This is all speculation though we will have to wait and see #.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I think technology has little to do with it. The original iPhone and iPhone 3G had the same CPU and GPU, but the original iPhone was dropped first.

Apple's strategy for the lower end of the market is to sell (and support) older devices alongside the current gen model.

They can't really do that if they drop support for a device before most people's 24 month contract (which in most countries is the longest a contract will be) is up.

The iPhone 3GS was discontinued in September, but it's still being updated because people could have bought it new only two months ago.

I expect the same will happen with the iPhone 4 (and then the 4S and so on).

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Right but just because its the same architecture does not mean its the same processor. The 3GS does not Have the A4 Chip which has many differences.

Thats like saying that the i3 and the i7 processors are the same chip because they are both based on the Haswell architecture.

Don't get fooled by marketing. Its the same chip. The A4 just puts the proc and gpu on the same die. BFD.

The CPU and GPU in the 4 and 3GS are identical. The 4 and 3GS are equally capable, and will be EOL at the same time - before iOS7.

corbidougu

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
it's also facetime camera, better sound cards
a121.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.