Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Loves2spoon

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
California
Can someone post some screen shots of what the SMS app looks like and the messaging screen please. Is it black like the galaxy s3 or white like the iPhone?

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Can someone post some screen shots of what the SMS app looks like and the messaging screen please. Is it black like the galaxy s3 or white like the iPhone?

Here you go.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-12-04-15-48-03.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-04-15-48-03.png
    68.6 KB · Views: 65
  • Screenshot_2012-12-04-15-47-49.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-04-15-47-49.png
    36.9 KB · Views: 75

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
http://m.pocketnow.com/2012/12/04/nexus-4-mod-touch-sensitivity

Could it really be a software issue?! The touch sensitivity issue may have hope after all!!

I guess I'll be the guniea pig since I seem to be one of the few people here who has the guts to root his phone and flash stuff :p

Edit: the 3 pages of posts on the xda thread almost all say they noticed an increase in sensitivity but one common issue is the screen is unresponsive for about 10 seconds after a reboot. I think I can live with that since I don't reboot often and increased touch sensitivity is definitely worth it. Flashing now.

Last edited:

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I guess I'll be the guniea pig since I seem to be one of the few people here who has the guts to root his phone and flash stuff :p

Hey I've done it before lol just been lazy. I will definitely do it if this works! Let us know it would be much appreciated!

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Hey I've done it before lol just been lazy. I will definitely do it if this works! Let us know it would be much appreciated!

First impressions: the screen is definitely way more responsive now! First time I tapped an app it actually thought I wanted to edit it lol. I think that was because I didn't let the phone settle for at least a few seconds after booting up. Now when I tap apps that doesn't happen so I don't think it's too sensitive.

I tried tapping with my nail but that didn't work. Someone on the xda thread said it did after flashing this fix.

I'll keep using it for a few days and see how it goes.

Regarding rooting, come on it's pretty fast and simple :p if you've done it before then what's really holding you back? http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-4-rooting-roms-hacks/224861-guide-nexus-4-unlock-root.html

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
First impressions: the screen is definitely way more responsive now! First time I tapped an app it actually thought I wanted to edit it lol. I think that was because I didn't let the phone settle for at least a few seconds after booting up. Now when I tap apps that doesn't happen so I don't think it's too sensitive.

I tried tapping with my nail but that didn't work. Someone on the xda thread said it did after flashing this fix.

Regarding rooting, come on it's pretty fast and simple :p if you've done it before then what's really holding you back? http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-4-rooting-roms-hacks/224861-guide-nexus-4-unlock-root.html

Great!! How is pinch to zoom? And I'll use the tool kit for the Nexus 4 to root. Maybe this weekend. I'm just tired and lazy haha. That's what's stopping me tonight. But it is really tempting because the screen dullness is noticeable. Thanks for the first impressions. This is excellent news!

Also I expect a fix from Google ASAP!

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Great!! How is pinch to zoom? And I'll use the tool kit for the Nexus 4 to root. Maybe this weekend. I'm just tired and lazy haha. That's what's stopping me tonight. But it is really tempting because the screen dullness is noticeable. Thanks for the first impressions. This is excellent news!

Also I expect a fix from Google ASAP!

I honestly didn't use pinch to zoom that often so I don't have anything to compare it to but it's working fine right now. I just tried it in the Gmail app and Chrome.

The funny thing is that this fix is just reverting to an older touch driver.

Any ideas what ROM you'll be flashing or do you just want to root and stay on the stock ROM?

----------

I just powered up my GS3 to flash a custom ROM my friend told me about and I can't believe how bad the screen is compared to my Nexus 4 :p

The colours are really washed out and oversaturated. It's not like I didn't know this but I actually liked it when I moved from a 4S to the GS3 but going back from the Nexus 4 is a different story.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I honestly didn't use pinch to zoom that often so I don't have anything to compare it to but it's working fine right now. I just tried it in the Gmail app and Chrome.

Any ideas what ROM you'll be flashing or do you just want to root and stay on the stock ROM?

----------

I just powered up my GS3 to flash a custom ROM my friend told me about and I can't believe how bad the screen is compared to my Nexus 4 :p

The colours are really washed out and oversaturated. It's not like I didn't know this but I actually liked it when I moved from a 4S to the GS3 but going back from the Nexus 4 is a different story.

I don't have either device but the screen is washed out AND over saturated? Aren't they pretty much the opposite?

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I don't have either device but the screen is washed out AND over saturated? Aren't they pretty much the opposite?

I guess I think one of them means something other than what it is? I think I mean over saturated if they're opposite to each other.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007

----------

Cyanogenmod is no where near stable yet and that is what I used in the past. So I'm not sure if I would need a ROM. I'm pretty happy with stock 4.2 as of now. But that touch sensitivity hack a lone would be worth rooting like I said before.

Question: if you are rooted with a custom ROM what is the process when Google sends out an OTA? flash back to your back up of stock that you made? Then you can get the OTA just fine?

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Cyanogenmod is no where near stable yet and that is what I used in the past. So I'm not sure if I would need a ROM. I'm pretty happy with stock 4.2 as of now. But that touch sensitivity hack a lone would be worth rooting like I said before.

Question: if you are rooted with a custom ROM what is the process when Google sends out an OTA? flash back to your back up of stock that you made? Then you can get the OTA just fine?

I'm actually not sure because I never bothered. I preferred running custom ROMs. I think you can't get OTA updates if you have a custom recovery which you probably will if you're using custom ROMs. I can look into this for you if you like.

I'm using AOKP and it is perfectly stable (for me). I use it as my daily driver and haven't had any major issues. The small ones have been fixed so far.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I'm actually not sure because I never bothered. I preferred running custom ROMs. I think you can't get OTA updates if you have a custom recovery which you probably will if you're using custom ROMs. I can look into this for you if you like.

I'm using AOKP and it is perfectly stable (for me). I use it as my daily driver and haven't had any major issues. The small ones have been fixed so far.

I take a look around and do some research before I ROM. I know just rooting won't prevent me from getting OTA'S though.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

3bs is right about not getting updates with a custom recovery installed so in theory if you reinstalled stock recovery and your backup of stock ROM you'd be good to go. I had been running Paranoid Android on my N7 for quite a while and didn't have a backup of stock but wanted to check out 4.2 so I just restored to stock JB using the Mac Nexus 7 toolkit over on XDA. Looks like you'd have everything you'd need to get the job done for the Nexus 4 here.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
3bs is right about not getting updates with a custom recovery installed so in theory if you reinstalled stock recovery and your backup of stock ROM you'd be good to go. I had been running Paranoid Android on my N7 for quite a while and didn't have a backup of stock but wanted to check out 4.2 so I just restored to stock JB using the Mac Nexus 7 toolkit over on XDA. Looks like you'd have everything you'd need to get the job done for the Nexus 4 here.

Thanks!!!!

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

I'm on 2.54 PA and my Nexus 7 won't hold a charge, the battery is stuck at 0 and it turns off as soon as I unplug it. I'm not sure what I'm going to do but I'll try going back to my stock ROM backup and see if it persists. As of yet I'm not sure if it's a hardware or software issue.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I'm on 2.54 PA and my Nexus 7 won't hold a charge, the battery is stuck at 0 and it turns off as soon as I unplug it. I'm not sure what I'm going to do but I'll try going back to my stock ROM backup and see if it persists. As of yet I'm not sure if it's a hardware or software issue.

Anymore impressions of the touch sensitivity hack that you did?

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas

I used the Nexus 4 toolkit to root and am a total noob when it comes to this stuff. But could you walk me through flashing this fix? I want to try it out myself and see if it helps. But I heard that it might mess with swiftkey, so how would I go about uninstalling it as well?

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I used the Nexus 4 toolkit to root and am a total noob when it comes to this stuff. But could you walk me through flashing this fix? I want to try it out myself and see if it helps. But I heard that it might mess with swiftkey, so how would I go about uninstalling it as well?

Ok so first of all do you have a custom recovery installed? The two ones I know are TWRP and CWM. I'm using CWM because I'm familiar with it.

Most custom ROMs have an option to enter recovery from power menu or do it the old fashioned way if you're on stock by turning phone off > press and hold power + volume down until you get to fastboot mode. Use volume keys choose Recovery mode.

Now select "backup and restore" > "backup". This will be your most important backup because it's the stock one. You're doing this in case anything goes wrong when you flash the fix. After it's done go back to the main menu by choose "go back" then select "install zip from sdcard" then "choose zip from sdcard" then "0/" then "Download" or wherever you put the file you downloaded. You can see where it is using a file browsing app (I use Root Explorer). Select the zip pick Yes when it asks you to confirm. When you're done navigate to the main menu and reboot your phone.

I have an app called ROM Manager which makes managing your backups easier and you can rename them so you know what they are. If you're backing up directly from CWM the backups are just labelled with the date and time of the backup so you don't know what the backup is until you restore it or remember what it is. ROM Manager also has an option inside it to reboot into recovery mode which could make things easier for you. I suggest you using it. When you open the app you'll get a pop up of SU (superuser) asking if you want to grant the app root access, say yes. This will happen whenever any app tries to get root access and you can pick for SU to remember the option.

If any of that is unclear let me know either here or via PM. I'm going to bed right now though.

Edit: in the xda there's a zip file you can flash in recovery to revert the changes but if it doesn't work you always have your nandroid backup to go back to. Just go into recovery mode and restore the backup or use ROM Manager to restore the backup.

Edit: xda thread for the files http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2028289

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.