Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikegasol

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
Traded in my Droid DNA and picked up the Note 2 yesterday. Loving it so far, its pretty much just like my Galaxy S3 but with added functionality and an S pen. Loving the size too.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Guess what? I've been using my Galaxy Note 2 with a 5.5" screen for 2 weeks now. I'm about ready to switch back to something more practically for my active lifestyle and can be use with one hand. That would be my iPhone 4S.

Please do. Obviously, the Note II wasn't intended for you if thought it was meant for one handed use, especially when one of the main features is a S Pen/stylus.

----------

However, Google's flagship phone the Nexus 4 now has all the same issues they previous complain about with the iPhone. No physical keyboard, no replaceable battery, no expandable memory. It's even has a glass back.

Which is why most people in this thread are interested and purchased the Note II. Go whine in the Nexus thread.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
However, Google's flagship phone the Nexus 4 now has all the same issues they previous complain about with the iPhone. No physical keyboard, no replaceable battery, no expandable memory. It's even has a glass back.

You keep invoking this argument as if the Nexus 4 is the only Android phone you can get.

How many times does this need to be pointed out? At the time, the iPhone 4/4S was the only two iPhones you could get. That's why its shortcomings or lack of features were a bigger deal. Cause if you wanted LTE or a non-glass back iPhone, you were out of luck.

You can still get LTE or non-glass back or SD expansion, or physical keyboard, or replaceable battery Android devices.

You still cannot get SD expansion, physical keyboard, or replaceable batteries (or NFC) with any iPhone.

Every time you invoke this argument against the Nexus, you're only embarrassing yourself. It's also abundantly clear you're here to bash the Nexus any chance you get, even if it's in a thread about the Note II.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Traded in my Droid DNA and picked up the Note 2 yesterday. Loving it so far, its pretty much just like my Galaxy S3 but with added functionality and an S pen. Loving the size too.

Intersted in your thoughts on the DNA. I tried it in store and the GPU couldn't handle smooth rendering at 1080p for Google Maps, Earth, etc. whereas the Note 2 renders so smoothly I've never seen anything like it. YouTube videos looked worse on the DNA screen due to having to upscale 720p over the 1080p. Maps looked amazing though, it just couldn't render smoothly when I was scrolling around. Text and basic GUI in the rest of the OS rendered okay.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Okay, I have to ask all you guys who have problems with larger screens:

What the heck are you doing, that you MUST use a phone one-handed all the time?
It's not all the time... it is when needed.

Running off of a plane as the messages sent while in the air come rolling in. One hand is holding handle of carry-on and the other iPhone. I can reply as I run to the next gate, since I only have minutes to spare.

Once I get home as I am holding onto the bar on the tram taking me from the satellite terminal to the main terminal I message my girlfriend I am on my way to parking garage.

Things like that.

Michael

kdarling

macrumors P6
It's not all the time... it is when needed.

Yep, as I said, I understand going one-handed now and again. We all do that.

If you read the post I was responding to, though, it was from someone who said their fingers hurt from using it one-handed all the time.

It was as if they only ever used one hand to interact with the Note. That's the situation that made me curious.

The upshot is, if you really need one-handed usage that much, then a larger screen might not be the best choice. For that matter, a physical keyboard might be even better, since many learn to text without looking while they walk.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
So what else is left to complain about the iPhone? Not much but the screen size.

I have that complaint too, but another issue for me is the OS itself. It's look and feel is roughly the same as the day it came out. It just doesn't look very contemporary anymore. Whereas the phone hardware has evolved over time and looks very very contemporary to me. Which makes the OS look even more out of date. I like that Google has updated Android's look over time...but Apple has stayed with the tried and true. I guess some people like that, but I just don't. I prefer the software's look to change and get more modern right along with the hardware, not look dated. Apple frustrates me in this regard as I think they have outstanding hardware, and backend cloud services are getting better and better, but the look of the OS itself, hasn't really changed at all.

I'm wondering how long that can continue to be the case. Indefinitely? Will the OS on iPhones still look exactly the same 10 years from now? 20? How long before other people get tired of the same look and feel too?

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
For that matter, a physical keyboard might be even better, since many learn to text without looking while they walk.

You can text one handed on a physical keyboard without looking while you walk?
That does not seem possible. It's certainly easier to use this phone one handed than to do what you claim.

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009
You can text one handed on a physical keyboard without looking while you walk?
That does not seem possible. It's certainly easier to use this phone one handed than to do what you claim.

Use the app called "Utter!" & not have to worry about 1 hand texting

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Running off of a plane as the messages sent while in the air come rolling in. One hand is holding handle of carry-on and the other iPhone. I can reply as I run to the next gate, since I only have minutes to spare.

If the Galaxy Note prevents me from doing things like that, I'm buying ten!!!

:D

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
If anyone is looking for a cheap but decent hardcase i got one one of these today and i like it alot, it's made of bead blasted plastic so has unusual texture for a case and doesn't pick up finger prints and the case fits very well also.

case.jpg

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
This thing is AMAZING! I can't believe I was stuck on the iphone for so long. Just perfection.

Only thing I miss is my Emoji's :(

MACis122

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010
anyone here use armor suit, just installed one and the back was a bit tough to get on the rounded edges and the sides, well yeah too much work for them.

JSalig

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
I've had my Note 2 for a few weeks now. For me, the size isn't an issue at all. I use my bluetooth for calls but otherwise it has been an awesome media consumption device. I love being able to watch videos and surf the web at the same time during my commute. I've rooted my device so that I'm able to make all my apps multi-screen capable. And I must've been living under a rock since I'm just finding out I can connect the phone to an external drive via an OTG cable. Also, I find myself using the S-pen much more than I thought I would. Anyways, don't understand why people feel the need to compare the Note 2 with the iphone. The feature set on the Note 2 just puts it in a whole other category. There just is no contest there.

Mikhailov

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
Download Handcent SMS and the Emoji plugin from the play store. I lived Handcent when I tried the S3. I could still send my wife Emoji and I now receive them from my best friend who is on an S3.

I read all 23 or so pages of this thread and am seriously thinking of trying a Note 2. Can sell iPhone 5 on eBay to cover the cost, but weary to do this because of my blasted Apple loyalty and I'm a slave to the ecosystem. I do have a few questions:

Does AT&T still offer the 50GB of Dropbox?

How is the screen in daylight? One of the things I noticed about the S3 was that it was horrible in daylight. Will I see something similar with the Note?

Can I root the AT&T phone? Can I get rid of the bloat ware somehow?

If I install a ROM that is closer to stock Android, how will that effect the S Pen? Are there any good roms for the Note 2?

Can I change the lock screen? I hate the Samsung water drop. I like the stock one that accesses the camera and Google now.

Can I remap the buttons so a long press activates google now, and a double tap of the home button activates the "task manager.?"

Can I replace that stupid water drop sound when you tap things, or do you just shut it off?

Ok that was more than a few questions. Sorry. I am doing my research but those are questions I couldn't find an answer for.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
P

Which is why most people in this thread are interested and purchased the Note II. Go whine in the Nexus thread.

Y
Every time you invoke this argument against the Nexus, you're only embarrassing yourself. It's also abundantly clear you're here to bash the Nexus any chance you get, even if it's in a thread about the Note II.

If you guys didn't have any issues with people mentioning the iPhone in this thread and why make it such a big deal when the Nexus 4 is brought up?

I wasn't complaining about the Nexus 4 here.

Was just pointing out most of the complaints about the iPhone 4S existing on the Nexus 4.

The only complaint I have with the Nexus 4 is the poor battery life and max of 16GB storage. That's why I got a Note 2.

Some here delude themselves to believe the battery life issue will be fixed when the Nexus 4 is release with the latest Android OTA update and that I would be proven wrong. No, I wasn't wrong.

Last edited:

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
The more I use my Note II, the more I'm reminded of the progress that Android has made over the last year. It's an absolutely amazing accomplishment, as compared to the year prior. Not only that, there are loads of exciting developments in the six months ahead. Android is on a roll right now with terrific momentum which promises to keep them on the leading edge for some time.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I wasn't complaining about the Nexus 4 here.

Was just pointing out most of the complaints about the iPhone 4S existing on the Nexus 4.

Why? It's a Galaxy Note 2 thread. Your little rant didn't belong here.

The Note II doesn't fit into your active lifestyle, and that's perfectly fine. I hope you got your money back.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I have to say, after playing around with a Note 2 the other day I was blown away by the screen. It also was not as big as I expected.

I want one!

Michael

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.