Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
About time that google got this out the door, latest official YouTube app now supports both iPad & iPhone 5. Testing now...

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
Just came on here to post this

I noticed a YouTube app update on my iPhone and it mentioned now supports iPad

Wahoooo!

So if you go to the app store on your iPad and search for YouTube and select the iPhone apps you will get the YouTube download (as you did before) but when you open it it's iPad optimised and full screen.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
One VERY fast (and therefore incomplete) period of testing later:

• Airplay works fine with Apple TV. Not quite as good or slick as the old Apple-supplied app but it does work. That said ONLY works when you're watching the video. Go back to do another search or leave the app and it stops completely.
  • Video quality seems fine, no settings that I can find on first glance but seems to be using high-ish quality where available. No worse than the web version at the very least and I'm sure someone with better eyes than me can work out if it'll use 1080p if it's available.
  • iPhone 5 support makes a huge difference (yeah, I know this is the iPad forum but what the heck), looks so much better now.
  • Oddly the Airplay button seems a bit unresponsive... might just be me though.
  • Interface on iPad is very nice, if a bit busy. Still no way to quickly get back to your channel pane if you're several videos in... someone please tell me I'm missing something obvious there.
  • Some form of voice control built in but I'm almost sure it's not Siri. Probably Google's own tech (can't remember the name off the top of my head) and it seems to work very well.
  • All the main YouTube features seem to be present and correct including up and down votes, subscriptions and *shudder* comments.
  • Sharing options are present and (IMO annoyingly) have Google+ at the top of the list. There's also options for adding to Watch Later, Favorites and Playlist. Which is nice.

Last edited:

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
Who needs the app when you can just have the page on the desktop. It takes no space that way.

One VERY fast (and therefore incomplete) period of testing later:

• Airplay works fine with Apple TV. Not quite as good or slick as the old Apple-supplied app but it does work. That said ONLY works when you're watching the video. Go back to do another search or leave the app and it stops completely.
  • Video quality seems fine, no settings that I can find on first glance but seems to be using high-ish quality where available. No worse than the web version at the very least and I'm sure someone with better eyes than me can work out if it'll use 1080p if it's available.
  • iPhone 5 support makes a huge difference (yeah, I know this is the iPad forum but what the heck), looks so much better now.
  • Oddly the Airplay button seems a bit unresponsive... might just be me though.
  • Interface on iPad is very nice, if a bit busy. Still no way to quickly get back to your channel pane if you're several videos in... someone please tell me I'm missing something obvious there.
  • Some form of voice control built in but I'm almost sure it's not Siri. Probably Google's own tech (can't remember the name off the top of my head) and it seems to work very well.
  • All the main YouTube features seem to be present and correct including up and down votes, subscriptions and *shudder* comments.
  • Sharing options are present and (IMO annoyingly) have Google+ at the top of the list. There's also options for adding to Watch Later, Favorites and Playlist. Which is nice.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
If it ain't there search for the iPhone app. This update effectively pushed it to be universal so that should work... in theory.

Ok thanks. I was on the iPad tab, not iPhone. Still new at this stuff. Got it, thanks again.

I want to try planet earth hd amazing scenery I know is 1080p. How do I know for sure it is being played at 1080p?

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Who needs the app when you can just have the page on the desktop. It takes no space that way.

I've always found the web version to be a bit clunky and, frankly, unreliable. Very irritating that it doesn't default to high quality where available too and the lack (AFAIK) of an Airplay button in the interface (I know you can do it via the task switcher) is another irritation. And the lack of a proper full screen mode so the Safari address bar is always at the top is annoying. Also at 18.7MB I don't think the app version is going to be causing too many space issues ;)

Of course if you're happy with the web version then stick with it, me though I've been looking forward to getting back into an app version for a while now. Nothing serious wrong with the web version, just a lot of little annoyances that add up to a less enjoyable experience IMO.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Mctube is 100 times better

Ok thanks. I was on the iPad tab, not iPhone. Still new at this stuff. Got it, thanks again.

I want to try planet earth hd amazing scenery I know is 1080p. How do I know for sure it is being played at 1080p?

This is why I use mctube it tells you if is streaming in 1080p or lower

You can also download videos in 1080p
And AirPlay works when you leave the app

Last edited:

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Mctube is 100 times better

This is why I use mctube it tells you if is streaming in 1080p or lower.

You can also download videos in 1080p
And AirPlay works when you leave the app

Ok, I downloaded. The video played great, no lag or buffering. Did not see where it says the resolution though while playing.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Ok, I downloaded. The video played great, no lag or buffering. Did not see where it says the resolution though while playing.

In the video box while is playing , there's a bunch of symbols one is + to add the video as favorite
The last one on the right is the video quality

MrKennedy

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
I've been playing with the new YouTube app, and it's buggy for me!

Sound will cut out in the middle of playback. I have to scrub every few seconds to rebuffer the stream to get audio back. Has anyone else experienced this?

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
In the video box while is playing , there's a bunch of symbols one is + to add the video as favorite
The last one on the right is the video quality

Geez Louise! Even the Planet Earth HD video I chose to play defaulted to 390p.

Thanks a lot! I'm good to go now that I know how to choose the resolution.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2009
I switched to McTube a while ago and I don't see the need to go back to the official app any time soon.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
You can go into settings of mctube & select the default 1080p playback

If someone would have told me I was watching in 360p, I would not have believe it because it still looked great (or so I thought).

1080p buffers alot but I may not watch anything but my blu rays and also you tube videos now that I can get lots in 1080p.

navra233

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2012
iOS maps confused me a lot. Thanks Google saved this time. Otherwise I could go to other side in town via iOS map.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.