Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shadowjeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
So yea long story short: It was raining, and i slipped on the stairs and fell/sat on my iPad mini (ipad mini was in my messenger bag), now it's bent. I have no idea what do now.

I'm surprised it still works perfectly fine and it's even more ergonomically comfortable to hold LOL.

But all jokes aside, what should i do? Do you think the apple store will take sympathy and swap me a new one? I'm a student so i'm trying to avoid spending money but if i have to i guess it's $99 applecare + $50?

Attachments

• IMG_1542.jpg
    IMG_1542.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 4,790
  • IMG_1545.JPG
    IMG_1545.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 7,892
Last edited:

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
So yea long story short: It was raining, and i slipped and fell/sat on my iPad mini (ipad mini was in my messenger bag), now it's bent. I have no idea what do now.

I'm surprised it still works perfectly fine and it's even more ergonomically comfortable to hold LOL.

But all jokes aside, what should i do? Do you think the apple store will take sympathy and swap me a new one? I'm a student so i'm trying to avoid spending money but if i have to i guess it's $99 applecare + $50 replacement fee?

if you do not have Applecare+ already you can't put it on since the device is already damaged and to purchase Applecare+ after the fact it needs to be inspected by an apple genius.

Your best bet would be go to an apple store and try and explain your financial situation and how the iPad mini saved you from breaking your tailbone xD. I think it is 229 for a replacment.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Try reenacting the exact same way you fell on your mini, only this time put your mini in your bag the opposite way...it should bend back to normal. :)

AppleChampagne

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2012
So yea long story short: It was raining, and i slipped and fell/sat on my iPad mini (ipad mini was in my messenger bag), now it's bent. I have no idea what do now.

But all jokes aside, what should i do? Do you think the apple store will take sympathy and swap me a new one? I'm a student so i'm trying to avoid spending money but if i have to i guess it's $99 applecare + $50 replacement fee?

i feel for you dude but that made me laugh soooo hard;)))))

Can you not just return it, they rarely take it out the box, or say you recieved it bent like a boomerang;P lollol

If your still in the return window i rate your chances in the 90 percentile of getting a replacement;)

AC:apple:

----------

You can now say you have a nexus ipad, lollol

shadowjeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
i feel for you dude but that made me laugh soooo hard;)))))

Can you not just return it, they rarely take it out the box, or say you recieved it bent like a boomerang;P lollol

If your still in the return window i rate your chances in the 90 percentile of getting a replacement;)

AC:apple:

I was thinking about returning it. But the apple store at my place do check to see if the ipad works before authorizing the return. I doubt that I could say it was 'bent' when I bought.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
if you do not have Applecare+ already you can't put it on since the device is already damaged and to purchase Applecare+ after the fact it needs to be inspected by an apple genius.

Your best bet would be go to an apple store and try and explain your financial situation and how the iPad mini saved you from breaking your tailbone xD. I think it is 229 for a replacment.
His "financial situation" is not unique. Unless you get someone to take pity on the situation, apple will take his $229 without hesitation.

OP, if it's better to hold then why not keep it?

shadowjeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
His "financial situation" is not unique. Unless you get someone to take pity on the situation, apple will take his $229 without hesitation.

OP, if it's better to hold then why not keep it?

Lol would you want a bent ipad? It's the screen, when you're reading something it's like bending backwards.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
Its amazing your screen didnt shatter. I dropped mine a couple if feet and it completely shattered. If its within 30 days just call apple and they ll let you buy the applecare plus on the phone. So a swap will cost you $150.

But all jokes aside, what should i do? Do you think the apple store will take sympathy and swap me a new one? I'm a student so i'm trying to avoid spending money but if i have to i guess it's $99 applecare + $50 replacement fee? or should I risk it by 'returning' it. It's unethical I know.

shadowjeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
Its amazing your screen didnt shatter. I dropped mine a couple if feet and it completely shattered. If its within 30 days just call apple and they ll let you buy the applecare plus on the phone. So a swap will cost you $150.

I was surprised too! And I'm pretty sure my ipad mini was pressed hard against corner of the stairs when I sat on it.

AppleChampagne

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2012

Listen do this and all will be well,

Phone applecare and say you received the ipad in a bent state and you have just opened the product. Your tremendously upset by the whole experience and how can they rectify... They will say they will either pick up the ipad and replace or they will ask you to go the store route. The store route will be good because you can go in there and say you have spoke to applecare (they will have this logged) and they said to go to store for a swap out. I honestly think you have a really high chance of turning this around bro;)

AC

shadowjeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010

Phone applecare and say you received the ipad in a bent state and you have just opened the product. Your tremendously upset by the whole experience and how can they rectify... They will say they will either pick up the ipad and replace or they will ask you to go the store route. The store route will be good because you can go in there and say you have spoke to applecare (they will have this logged) and they said to go to store for a swap out. I honestly think you have a really high chance of turning this around bro;)

AC

I might try this. But I've had this ipad mini for about 3 weeks already, what if they ask 'why are only you calling now'?

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007

AC

I want some of what this guy is smoking!

BTW: If by some miracle he gets Apple to accept that an iPad came out of the factory in this condition, somebody in China will likely be murdered! Do you want that on your conscience? :)

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Man, that stinks OP. Take it to Apple and be honest and tell them what happened. They may change it out for free, but are under no obligation to do so.

If that doesn't work, the credit card you used to purchase it may offer some sort of coverage for accidents on new purchases. You should contact them.

If neither one will replace it, you have two options. Enjoy your collectors iPad mini curved edition. Or spend the money to have Apple replace it.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
That would be dishonest first off, secondly...surely they can see the registration date for the device when you first set it up. It's an unfortunate accident and I feel for you, but you should just be honest it.

shadowjeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
Man, that stinks OP. Take it to Apple and be honest and tell them what happened. They may change it out for free, but are under no obligation to do so.

If that doesn't work, the credit card you used to purchase it may offer some sort of coverage for accidents on new purchases. You should contact them.

If neither one will replace it, you have two options. Enjoy your collectors iPad mini curved edition. Or spend the money to have Apple replace it.

Yea I'll gonna go the honest route to try to get sympathy from apple geniuses tmr. I will feel bad for lying. If it doesn't work out, I'm not sure if BMO MasterCard has any insurance coverage, I'll try calling and check.

I probably won't pay to get it replaced, because its working PERFECTLY fine. Most people replace their iPads because the screen cracked or it's completely unusable.

Maybe I'll save up some money and just buy another white ipad mini and use both together lmao. The first working curved glass ipad mini, how awesome is that?!

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
Yea I'll gonna go the honest route to try to get sympathy from apple geniuses tmr. I will feel bad for lying. If it doesn't work out, I'm not sure if BMO MasterCard has any insurance coverage, I'll try calling and check.

I probably won't pay to get it replaced, because its working PERFECTLY fine. Most people replace their iPads because the screen cracked or it's completely unusable.

Maybe I'll save up some money and just buy another white ipad mini and use both together lmao. The first working curved glass ipad mini, how awesome is that?!

If honesty doesn't work then I vote make a video of you trying to bend it back and put it on YouTube

Aspasia

macrumors 65816

AC

If you don't realize that's completely dishonest, you need a course on ethics.

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
If honesty doesn't work then I vote make a video of you trying to bend it back and put it on YouTube

I concur! Try and bend it back to its original state.

All jokes aside, I'm surprised it didn't shatter. Quite remarkable actually. I'd be really PO'ed if that happened to me. Get AppleCare+ and see what happens. If you can't get that bite the bullet and setup an appointment at the Genius Bar.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
one word...RUN

to your local USPTO and patent the hell out of that "all-new" concave mini design before apple does

shadowjeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010

I'm actually trying to bend it back, piling my 3 years worth of college textbooks on each corner, but i think the weight isn't concentrated enough to force it back. I tried standing on both sides for a while, doesn't really work. Any other ideas you guys want me to try? :D

I concur! Try and bend it back to its original state.

All jokes aside, I'm surprised it didn't shatter. Quite remarkable actually. I'd be really PO'ed if that happened to me. Get AppleCare+ and see what happens. If you can't get that bite the bullet and setup an appointment at the Genius Bar.

I'm not pissed off at all or anything i was actually laughing when i saw the bend. I got unlucky and slipped but oh well... This thing is actually really solid!

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
I'm actually trying to bend it back, piling my 3 years worth of college textbooks on each corner, but i think the weight isn't concentrated enough to force it back. I tried standing on both sides for a while, doesn't really work. Any other ideas you guys want me to try? :D

The only way it could work would be bending it back by pressing from the screen side, maybe a book large enough to cover the entire ipad so the pressure is more evenly dispersed. Scary thought but trying to push the corners down just won't have enough force.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
tell them that Jon Ive is a good friend of yours and told you that since it was made out of "aluminium" that it could withstand your arse.

then ask for a replacement on the grounds that the product didn't deliver what was promised by the knight

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
If I was the OP, I'd write and email all the apple execs, especially the marketing team, to see if i can get some FaceTime (see what i did there?) on tech blogs and news sites to talk about my experience and the durability of the iPad mini...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.