Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
Soon AT&T will be pulling the same number you said Verizon was pulling for you when AT&T gets flooded with LTE customers. Their time will come. Trust me.

Ok. Then HSPA+ speeds will only get faster and more people hop on LTE. AT&T wins both ways. :D

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
You go ahead and take your 450 markets. You've obviously NEVER used HSPA+. My 10mbps that I can pull can hold a candle to your LTE, especially since its getting crowded pretty fast on Verizon. You also go right ahead and enjoy getting raped by Verizon with their highest wireless prices!!!
Both of these companies are basically equivalent. Comparing VZW to ATT and saying VZW is "raping" is pretty ridiculous. Their new "share" plans are virtually identical, just slight variations for very specific choices.

Arguing about speeds is pointless, because it is highly dependant on where you use your phone. Not just what city, but specifically where in the city.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
Both of these companies are basically equivalent. Comparing VZW to ATT and saying VZW is "raping" is pretty ridiculous. Their new "share" plans are virtually identical, just slight variations for very specific choices.

Arguing about speeds is pointless, because it is highly dependant on where you use your phone. Not just what city, but specifically where in the city.
exactly. Just as pretending one company is magnanimous and giving is silly.
They are two FOR PROFIT companies making business decisions they think are best for their PROFIT. I would imagine once Verizon iphones can do simultaneous data/voice they will make some changes to their non-throttling policy. SPrint will likely keep unlimited as long as they are slow and in last place. For no other reason than they are slow and in last place.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
You also go right ahead and enjoy getting raped by Verizon with their highest wireless prices!!!
Verizon's cheapest Share Everything plan is only $10/month more than the cheapest AT&T individual voice/text/data plan that most people get.

So for $10/month more with Verizon, you get unlimited voice and tethering. And it's a share plan, so you can add your iPad if you want.

That doesn't sound like rape. :eek:

And when you compare share plans, ...

1GB = $90 on Verizon, $95 on AT&T.
2GB = $100 on Verizon. AT&T doesn't offer a 2GB share plan. :eek: :confused:
4GB = $110 on Verizon, $110 on AT&T.
6GB = $120 on Verizon, $125 on AT&T.
8GB = $130 on Verizon. AT&T doesn't offer a 8GB share plan.
10GB = $140 on Verizon, $150 on AT&T.

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Ok. Then HSPA+ speeds will only get faster and more people hop on LTE. AT&T wins both ways. :D

And once everyone migrates to LTE, 3G will be a lot faster than what it was before everyone jumped aboard the Verizon 3G service. Verizon wins both ways and to have an abundance amount of coverage and the fact it doesn't drop calls going from one tower to the next unlike GSM. Just makes it so much better. Gawd, Verizon rules the air perfectly :D

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
And once everyone migrates to LTE, 3G will be a lot faster than what it was before everyone jumped aboard the Verizon 3G service. Verizon wins both ways and to have an abundance amount of coverage and the fact it doesn't drop calls going from one tower to the next unlike GSM. Just makes it so much better. Gawd, Verizon rules the air perfectly :D

Then its obvious you haven't used a GSM carrier in a long time. AT&T use to drop calls all the time. They have really evolved and are great in places they use to suck.

I only can compare the two by me, and Verizon is just awful.

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Then its obvious you haven't used a GSM carrier in a long time. AT&T use to drop calls all the time. They have really evolved and are great in places they use to suck.

Actually have had AT&T as a carrier before and did an ETF to get off the service and join Verizon because where I work at the service sucks. I work at a local hospital and the signal doesn't even get through the building at all. Verizon is able to penetrate through the building wonderfully with no problems.

I have and will always prefer Verizon over AT&T. Grandfathered plan or not. Coverage is important to me.

I only can compare the two by me, and AT&T is just awful.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
This all reads like a football rivalry. You need a red V tattoo.

fwiw, I had Verizon, on LTE and hated it. I switched back to AT&T. Which I don't love.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
According to this, only 3G is potentially throttled on Verizon, and LTE users are not affected by this policy.

I wonder if that is true for AT&T as well, and we are just talking about 3G.
I've never seen anything where Verizon throttles on LTE.

AT&T throttles at 5GB on LTE (vs. 3GB on 3G/4G).

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
If I didn't care about the price of my monthly bill, I would go to Verizon for sure.

They have LTE just about everywhere that I travel these days. Their voice footprint is better than the other 3 carriers. Their 3G network is slower than the 2 GSM carriers who have HSPA+ but with so much LTE everywhere it doesn't really matter anymore. Then with the iPhone 5 being GSM unlocked right out of the box, my last gripe with them being CDMA and their phones being totally locked down to their network was removed. It's too bad. Their Share Everything plans are simply too overpriced for individuals so I'll stay away.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
If I didn't care about the price of my monthly bill, I would go to Verizon for sure.

I have an old Verizon Talk and Text plan with unlimited texts, unlimited LTE, and unlimited tethering, and 450 minutes of talk for $110 per month with my 15% business association discount. I haven't compared this to any recent plans, but it seems pretty cheap to me. Unfortunately, keeping it requires that I pay full price whenever I want to upgrade phones, but I'd rather do that than lose my unlimited LTE.

b0bab0i

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
I used 11GB of data last month on my Verizon iPhone 5. Never heard a word from Verizon. Am on grandfathered unlimited.

Although under the court case they're not allowed to throttle LTE.

AT&T overall sucks. They're unlimited plan gets throttled at 3GB, they drop calls, and outlining areas are stuck on EDGE. Whereas Verizon has rock solid 3G in outlying areas and is less likely to drop calls. You can't tether unless you change to a tierd plan, you can't FaceTime unless your on a tierd plan (although this might change). AT&T is pushing their customers to tierd plans.

Just my thoughts.
It's actually 5 gigs for LTE Unlimited Plans on AT&T, they changed it when iPhone 5 came out.

And Verizon is kicking everyone off the unlimited Grandfather plan when you renew your contract.

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
Do you folks who adore verizon and have kept your unlimited plans stream?

I don't abuse it. I use FaceTime a lot more now. I have heard some people using 30-50 GB a month.

Paying an extra $450 for the phone hurt, but Verizon (for me) is solid all the way around. LTE is so fast loading pages.

I'll probably use 2-4 GB a month, slightly more than my 3G iPhone 4S.

----------

It's actually 5 gigs for LTE Unlimited Plans on AT&T, they changed it when iPhone 5 came out.

And Verizon is kicking everyone off the unlimited Grandfather plan when you renew your contract.

Yeah 5GB should be plenty on AT&T.

I don't think Verizon can 'kick you off' unlimited data at the end of your contract. Sure they want to move people to tiered plans, but I don't think they can just kick you off. If you buy a subsidized phone, you'll be forced to change to tiered... But if it buy it outright, you keep Unlimited.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
I don't abuse it. I use FaceTime a lot more now. I have heard some people using 30-50 GB a month.

Paying an extra $450 for the phone hurt, but Verizon (for me) is solid all the way around. LTE is so fast loading pages.

I'll probably use 2-4 GB a month, slightly more than my 3G iPhone 4S.
Thanks. I think streaming on verizon would drive me NUTS. I DON'T stream and the lack of simultaneous voice/data drove me batty after a week. I switched right back to AT&T with (at that time) 3G service.
I can't imagine streaming, and then having the music stop when I took a call.
I hope those folks using 30-50gb a month don't get used to it. I BET verizon will drastically change its policies when they can do simultaneous voice/data on iphone. I predict EVERYONE will ultimately be removed from unlimited plans. They have them because, like sprint, it's their ace in the hole. When playing fields are leveled, they will dump them. (And then AT&T will have to make a change to keep up).

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
Glad I have unlimited LTE with Verizon! I use 6-11GBs a month tethering my iPad, and I don't even stream anything.

Are you on the $30 tether plan? ($30 unlimited data + $30 tether). The old $20 tether plan had a 2GB max, but from what I read the $30 has no cap right?

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
Are you on the $30 tether plan? ($30 unlimited data + $30 tether). The old $20 tether plan had a 2GB max, but from what I read the $30 has no cap right?

Yes, and with my 15% business discount it's around $51 per month for unlimited LTE and tethering.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
Uh, doesn't the music stop anyway? So you can hear the call?

Perhaps. Dunno.
Again, I don't stream much, but the notion of everything stopping when you answer the phone is a deal breaker for me. I tried it. It didnt work for me.

I tried being on hold and surfing, and couldn't. I'd forgotten how much I do that.

Apple maps, while on the phone.
Sending a dropbox document to a colleague while talking to the colleague, then discussing said document...
Not receiving ANY emails while on long calls? Oy.

I need the two too much apparently. But then, it's my work phone.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX

I had att until the ip5 and my phone dropped calls at specific locations when driving..
lol you obviously dont know how gsm and cdma work.
soft hand offs, and hard hand offs. Higher risk of dropped calls is a limitation of GSM.

They both have their pros and cons (gsm vs cdma). Take a few minutes and do some research on the difference.

ATTs dropped calls are no where near as bad as it used to be 5 years ago..nor is it as bad as some people on here making it out to be, but there is a pretty noticeable difference. I would get a dropped call almost daily on ATT.. verizon i have had one since the ip5 came out. Att has faster 3g.. verizon doesnt. etc. we can go on and on all day but this thread is pointless now. It all comes down to one thing. Your location.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
I BET verizon will drastically change its policies when they can do simultaneous voice/data on iphone. I predict EVERYONE will ultimately be removed from unlimited plans. They have them because, like sprint, it's their ace in the hole. When playing fields are leveled, they will dump them. (And then AT&T will have to make a change to keep up).

I almost passed on the iPhone 5 when I found out that it doesn't do voice and data simultaneously, but ultimately I decided unlimited LTE and tethering was more important for me than continuing to have that feature (I was coming from an HTC Thunderbolt). I don't stream anything, but I do use my iphone as a wifi hotspot for my iPad 8 hours a day during the week.

If your prediction is right, then it won't matter....I would lose unlimited data but pick up simultaneous voice/data. Then it's just a coverage choice, and for me here in Los Angeles, that's Verizon.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Thanks. I think streaming on verizon would drive me NUTS. I DON'T stream and the lack of simultaneous voice/data drove me batty after a week. I switched right back to AT&T with (at that time) 3G service.
I can't imagine streaming, and then having the music stop when I took a call.
I hope those folks using 30-50gb a month don't get used to it. I BET verizon will drastically change its policies when they can do simultaneous voice/data on iphone. I predict EVERYONE will ultimately be removed from unlimited plans. They have them because, like sprint, it's their ace in the hole. When playing fields are leveled, they will dump them. (And then AT&T will have to make a change to keep up).

No simultaneous voice and data on Verizon is a hardware limitation of the iPhone due to Verizons network. Most LTE phones have two antennas and as long as you are on LTE you can do voice too. The iphone 5 is the ONLY verizon lte phone that cant do voice and data while on Lte. If the phone has svdo capability it can even do 3G and voice only HTC messed with that.

So while its verizons network causing the problem there is hardware to make it work, Apple just doesn't use it.....

----------

Perhaps. Dunno.
Again, I don't stream much, but the notion of everything stopping when you answer the phone is a deal breaker for me. I tried it. It didnt work for me.

I tried being on hold and surfing, and couldn't. I'd forgotten how much I do that.

Sending a dropbox document to a colleague while talking to the colleague, then discussing said document...
Not receiving ANY emails while on long calls? Oy.

I need the two too much apparently. But then, it's my work phone.

I agree its annoying I have a Verizon 4S. And I hate hanging up to receive an email.

However maps work and continues to route while on a voice call.

buhage7a.jpg

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Perhaps. Dunno.

Oh, sure.

Although, the maps would still work if the map is on the phone, which it would be from apps that store the map on the phone, or from Apple Maps if they have been downloaded for that route. That service is mainly from gps. My i4 still works with TomTom maps, and it is now "unplugged" from cell service.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I used 11GB of data last month on my Verizon iPhone 5. Never heard a word from Verizon. Am on grandfathered unlimited.

Although under the court case they're not allowed to throttle LTE.

AT&T overall sucks. They're unlimited plan gets throttled at 3GB, they drop calls, and outlining areas are stuck on EDGE. Whereas Verizon has rock solid 3G in outlying areas and is less likely to drop calls. You can't tether unless you change to a tierd plan, you can't FaceTime unless your on a tierd plan (although this might change). AT&T is pushing their customers to tierd plans.

Just my thoughts.

Where does the court case say that VZW can't throttle?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.