Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
There was no reason for Apple not to include this in iOS 6. Apple has nothing that competes with this. The only reason I can think off it's that it's a 3rd party app, and Apple doesn't want to ship with 3rd party apps. Would it hurt Apple to ship with the most popular 3rd party apps like YouTube, Facebook and Twitter?

Really, how hard is it for you to just download the app?

Poob Bubes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2007
Hmm... Jasmine with no video Ads or YouTube app with plenty of Ads... pretty easy decision for me.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
I was about to thank Google... but no HDMI-out! (On my iPad 2.) I still cannot show YouTube properly to people via TV, the way I could with Apple’s app!

Mirroring is enabled, but you end up with low-res video in the middle of a sea of black: bars on all 4 sides. Not true video-out. See Apple’s Videos app for video output done right.

I’d hoped if they enabled AirPlay they’d have enabled video out by HDMI and VGA as well.

Why not use an Apple TV? Cables and video are so last decade!

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
Why is video buffering so slow? My Internet connection is more than capable. iPhone 5 by the way.

Probably because google wants to stalk your viewing habits, but that's really just an assumption.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
I'm confused. When I search the app store on my iPad nothing from YouTube comes up.

Edit: Never mind, shows up now.

Last edited:

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
editting as I sounded up my own arse.....

It seems like any app can play music in the background. I have pasted some info from developer.apple.com for reference.

Audio /= video.

You can use audio APIs to play in the background, but you can't use them to play the audio from video files.

zeiter

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2008
Canada
can someone try to airplay to an apple tv the youtube live stream of Aljazeera and tell me if it works and you see the stream on your tv? thank you

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Does Jasmine offer the same music videos that YouTube does? When I first tried Jasmine, there was a notation that it could not, so I dumped it. Has that changed?

I can't install Jasmine since it won't run on iOS 5, but I'm guessing not. The whole thing is the studios collect a portion of the ad revenue. And only the official google app displays those ads.

Now that said, many of those music videos can be accessed through the VEVO app.

----------

Audio /= video.

You can use audio APIs to play in the background, but you can't use them to play the audio from video files.

At the very least apps which use the native video player can play the audio portion in the background. I've confirmed that with numerous apps, both first and third party.

joelovesapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
UK
as Martha explained I'm blown away that a stay at home mom can get paid $5145 in 4 weeks on the computer. have you seen this page

as Adam implied I'm shocked that you able to earn $7328 in one month on the internet. did you look at this page C

Oh please. Go and spam elsewhere. :rolleyes:

Anyway, back on topic: It's funny this should be released today because I was talking about this very app on Facebook today!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
How do you know if video is "HD" or not? And is there a way to search based on number of views or upload date?

danranda

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2012
Better User Experience

There was no reason for Apple not to include this in iOS 6. Apple has nothing that competes with this. The only reason I can think off it's that it's a 3rd party app, and Apple doesn't want to ship with 3rd party apps. Would it hurt Apple to ship with the most popular 3rd party apps like YouTube, Facebook and Twitter?

Apple may have had other reasons in addition to this one, but by removing the youtube app from the onboard apps allows google to take over the design and programming of the app for their own service. This also allows google to update the app at will (previously, you'd have to wait for an iOS updated in order to update just youtube, which means the app as apple maintained it was less likely to receive TIMELY updates). What does this mean to the end user? a better experience. Anytime google comes up with a new feature for YouTube, They can update the app immediately and therefore deliver a better product to it's users.

This is a good thing. Get over it.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Wow, this app kind of sucks.

Half the videos in my favorites are "Not available on this platform" even though they play fine through the third party client Jasmine.

Why the hell does YouTube do that anyway? What's the difference between watching a video on an iPad and on a computer? It's the same video!

joelovesapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
UK
Wow, this app kind of sucks.

Half the videos in my favorites are "Not available on this platform" even though they play fine through the third party client Jasmine.

Why the hell does YouTube do that anyway? What's the difference between watching a video on an iPad and on a computer? It's the same video!

I always wondered this as well! Then, if you go to a website and select desktop site, you can play the video anyway! (on my android at least, hah :eek: )

TechieGeek

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
This, Gmail was just updated, and now we just need Maps. Why switch to Android when I got all the goodies on iOS?

Honestly, I tried iPhone for a month, and I missed Swype, the battery life was lower out of the box (the screen lights up for every notification, etc), Gmail had an app but it was sluggish and the default mail app couldn't deliver only my priority inbox, the camera took three or four seconds to open (in comparison to less than one second on the HTC One series I had after the iPhone, and the Galaxy S3 I had after the One), and no notification LED.

Just my opinion :)

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Huzzah! About time.

What the **** was Apple thinking taking it out of iOS in the first place?

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
This, Gmail was just updated, and now we just need Maps. Why switch to Android when I got all the goodies on iOS?

Ya know it's funny, but I've been traveling a lot lately, and have used Apple Maps quite a bit, and the more I use it, the more I find myself liking it.

This past weekend it took me to every destination I needed to go to, and it did so efficiently. It's also a lot smoother and user-friendly than the TomTom app I used to use (which is still available in case Apple Maps fails me)

For public transit, HopStop is better than Google Maps anyway. You can even get HopStop directions from inside Apple Maps by tapping the transit button and choosing it!

So things aren't so bad after all. And I will note I was one of the ones who raised a huge fuss about it all when iOS 6 came out!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.