Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazyman3005

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Is it possible for there to be user accounts on iPad, think it will ever come through from Apple?

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
It would make perfect sense and it's something that's been asked for since the initial release of the iPad (although it'd also be nice on ALL iDevices). For some unknown reason, Apple has ignored the requests.

They probably (wrongly) believe that, without personal accounts, we'll simply have to buy additional devices for each of our family members... instead of what's actually happening- people using them LESS than they otherwise would if they could share.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
It would make perfect sense and it's something that's been asked for since the initial release of the iPad (although it'd also be nice on ALL iDevices). For some unknown reason, Apple has ignored the requests.

They probably (wrongly) believe that, without personal accounts, we'll simply have to buy additional devices for each of our family members... instead of what's actually happening- people using them LESS than they otherwise would if they could share.

What are you basing this on? The incredibly low number of iPads sold versus other tablets?

There are 4 iPads in my house and a mini coming at Christmas....I guess Apple was right...:p

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I think the iPad is a personal device, like a cell phone. If you want more users to use it, then just buy more. I have 5 iPad's in my house (1 more coming so that's 6). We all do our own work on it and the kids are happy – so I am too.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
Got 3 iPads in our house. Multiple user accounts doesn't help when more than one person wants to use the iPad at the same time.

Heb 7:4

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2011
Buy more iPads. These are personal devices. Google are working on user accounts if you want to buy an android tablet.

It is depressing how any criticism or suggested improvement is responded to by someone essentially saying "if you don't like it, why don't you move to android".

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
I don't need multiple accounts really and I'm at the point where it doesn't matter, but apple really does need an easy to enable kid mode.

A 3 year old doesn't understand the meaning of personal device. This would be good for iphone and ipad. I know there are restriction settings but this is a pain. Single app mode isn't an answer either.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012

I quoted this for its glaring common sense. I read this, and thought a good discussion was coming.

Then I read the other posts. :rolleyes: Sorry guys, not everyone is ******* rich. I actually haven't bought an iPad because I wouldn't use it as a personal device, and there is no personal account feature.

It makes me sick, the way people respond. "Apple should implement personal accounts for iOS." "OMG! NOT AT ALL! You need to buy more devices you poor ****, go to android!!" Terrible human beings.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Got 3 iPads in our house. Multiple user accounts doesn't help when more than one person wants to use the iPad at the same time.

By that account, they should take away multiple user accounts on all their devices (iMacs/MacBook Airs) - which doesn't make any sense.

Ex. I rarely use my girlfriend's iPad, but when I do, I would like my email/iMessage/Bookmarks synced with it. I don't use the iPad enough to warrant buying my own, but for the 20 minutes a day when I need a bigger screen to compose emails/web browse, it would be nice to not have her emails/iMessages pop-up.

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
It is depressing how any criticism or suggested improvement is responded to by someone essentially saying "if you don't like it, why don't you move to android".

I don't value user accounts enough to warrant it but some people might. I'm just offering a solution to anyone who really needs it.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Android has recently offered this feature and it works quite well. Although I realize it it may not be an option for some and others just don't want to.

brylliant

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
Personally, I don't care for users on iPad. My iPad is personal to me and it is only used by me.

If Apple ever adds users to the iPad, it would be a feature that I will never use.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
A feature I would love.

Most of my family in my household have our own one, but we also have an iPad 2 sat in the living room, perfect for arguments and maps etc, even the TV Guide!

It would be fantastic if there could be some kinda user system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.