Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
However, to the average person, they'll think the iPhone is the only phone that has this feature because of this commercial.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
London
This is true

My flatmate actually commented "well actually that is a feature I'd like to have"

...he's got a Galaxy S3

I felt like whacking a chair round his head

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
LOL, I saw this commercial the other night and found it so outrageous that I found myself yelling "All phones have that these days" at the TV. That's a rather crazy thing to be advertising.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
London
op you clearly know nothing about marketing.

I never claimed to be a marketing expert. I understand apple are trying to fool people into thinking this is a somewhat unique feature but anyone on here must have some interest in technology so would be able to see this advert for what it is.

blimey why do I need to defend myself

Kealohilani

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
Perhaps their marketing people have been looking at forums in which people were whining that they didn't like that hole in the back so they decided to do a commercial that showed a feature while explaining why that hole is there. Or even better, maybe they just noticed that no other company has really advertised that feature so they decided to do it first. I personally like the commercial, at least they focused on showcasing their product rather than bashing other products and those that use them

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
...This has been the standard in phones now for maybe 3 years?

That may be true, but has any other manufacturer taken the trouble to explain it so stylishly to the masses? Or do they just plaster their product boxes with unintelligible acronyms and hope we'll figure it out ourselves?

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
Same goes for the Panorama advert. The thing is, Apple makes very simple, effective ads and if nobody else shouts about a feature in their own phone, Apple will clear up.
Hats off to their marketing team I say!

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I never claimed to be a marketing expert. I understand apple are trying to fool people into thinking this is a somewhat unique feature but anyone on here must have some interest in technology so would be able to see this advert for what it is.

blimey why do I need to defend myself

Apple advertises things the majority of the public cares about like noise reduction or pano camera features. If they advertised specs that would be boring as hell. So your missing the point on both directions. Makes no difference what other phones can do and how long they did it for.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
And just the other day I saw an ad for a car where they said it "handled" good. Cars have had steering and suspension for over a century now!

And can you believe that restaurants advertise that their food "tastes good" when humans have been tasting good things for over 100,000 years now?

And why do they even advertise toilet paper? We all know what it is, duh.

When will marketers learn that only completely new features should ever be mentioned in ads?? Ridiculous!

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I'm amazed that people A) pay attention to commercials and B) get worked up about them. To each their own I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.