Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
I have read that over 30 million iphone 5 has been sold to this date. If the bend, scratch and camera issues are as bad as we read here why there is not many people speaking about this.

Maybe the first production of the iphone 5 was bad and then Apple make some changes to have better quality.

Could it be that some people are overreacting to the issues of the iphone 5?

What do you think about this?

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I have read that over 30 million iphone 5 has been sold to this date. If the bend, scratch and camera issues are as bad as we read here why there is not many people speaking about this.

Maybe the first production of the iphone 5 was bad and then Apple make some changes to have better quality.

Could it be that some people are overreacting to the issues of the iphone 5?

What do you think about this?

Yes

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
Most people don't even care about small nicks and stuff.. They just get the phone and then use it. The problem just seems exacerbated because people here on forums like these are more likely to bring them up (aside from the bending.. I'm sure anyone would notice and not be okay with that.)

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Return rate for the 4 was less than 1%, people who (think) they have issues will complain a lot more than people with devices that work.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
China overtook the US this year as the largest smart phone market in the world. In the second quarter Apple's market share halved to 10%. Wall Street Journal reported today that Apple's market share dropped to 6.9% this quarter even as Lenovo's market share increased from 1.7% to 14.8% for the quarter ending September. While I do not think quality is the reason for Apple not being successful in emerging market. I do think that Apple's strategy of using wireless providers as the default gateway for sales is one of the reasons. In much of the world, consumers buy their own phones at full price and then select a wireless provider. When the consumer is paying a full price, value for money and quality has a bigger impact. Samsung is still the market leader in China but Lenovo is expected to be the largest in China in 2013. As an Apple shareholder I would like to see Apple focus on the rest of the world including the emerging economies where the smart phone market is not yet saturated like the west. I would also like to see Apple overcome their supply chain issues and sell iPhones to all who want to buy it in the US. (Apple still does not sell unlocked iPhone 5 to customers outside of the big 3 wireless providers). No doubt it does sell iPhone 4S etc to anyone who wants to buy one.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
China overtook the US this year as the largest smart phone market in the world. In the second quarter Apple's market share halved to 10%. Wall Street Journal reported today that Apple's market share dropped to 6.9% this quarter even as Lenovo's market share increased from 1.7% to 14.8% for the quarter ending September. While I do not think quality is the reason for Apple not being successful in emerging market. I do think that Apple's strategy of using wireless providers as the default gateway for sales is one of the reasons. In much of the world, consumers buy their own phones at full price and then select a wireless provider. When the consumer is paying a full price, value for money and quality has a bigger impact. Samsung is still the market leader in China but Lenovo is expected to be the largest in China in 2013. As an Apple shareholder I would like to see Apple focus on the rest of the world including the emerging economies where the smart phone market is not yet saturated like the west. I would also like to see Apple overcome their supply chain issues and sell iPhones to all who want to buy it in the US. (Apple still does not sell unlocked iPhone 5 to customers outside of the big 3 wireless providers). No doubt it does sell iPhone 4S etc to anyone who wants to buy one.

Using carriers as the gateway for sales - and delaying availability of unlocked phones - benefits Apple such that I'd wager most people think a 16GB iPhone 5 costs just $199.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
I would accept that proposition if the US was the center of the world. The reality is that like Cars, the largest smart phone markets are now outside of the US. Apple as a global company will need to adapt to the fast changing market.

Using carriers as the gateway for sales - and delaying availability of unlocked phones - benefits Apple such that I'd wager most people think a 16GB iPhone 5 costs just $199.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
I buy 2 black iphones and they don't have any scratches or bend issues.

I am sure that the first production of iphone 5 has some issues because my 2 black iphones are perfect and without any scratch.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
I've been through 6 iphones with scratches/nicks/scuffs now. Some more serious than others.

It's a pretty common problem. It's more likely that only a few OCD owners like me are complaining about it.

I've only seen one flawless iphone 5 (the first one I bought from the Apple store on launch day with ZERO flaws in every possible way). Unfortunate that it was a 16GB and I sold it to buy a 32.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.