Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
I am not aware of any teardown pictures of the new 27" setup. The initial japanese site was for the 21.5" only.

Ow so no magnets false alarm it is going to be glue as well great. I was just getting my hopes up.

Tom J

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2006
Midwest
Based on previous Mac's I will probably keep this one 4-5 years. I predict that during that time I will open it up to do something, (I don't know what) probably twice. At that rate it really doesn't matter to me if it takes ten minutes or an hour to disassemble what I need to. The internet will be a treasure trove of tips and tricks to get in there. Glues? adhesives? If I can't reuse them, I'll buy what I need to replace them. Special tools? If I don't have them I'll buy them.

I'm not at all concerned about how these Mac's are assembled. A couple of years from now these will be common assemble techniques for a lot of electronics manufacturers. And as someone else pointed out, auto assembly too. Just my opinion.

With THAT said I wish this was real
http://www.pascaleggert.de/iMacPro.html

Last edited:

Arman

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
SoCal
Ow so no magnets false alarm it is going to be glue as well great. I was just getting my hopes up.

No one knows for sure at this point. The only 27" iMacs in the wild seem to be from review sites. My assumption is they are prohibited from opening those up but just a guess.

THOPMedia

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
Guitar pick vs exacto knife?

i have been waiting to pull the trigger on a new 27" imac. after reading the teardown report and poor repairability. . .i cannot pull the trigger. i own i believe 6 imacs and have had 2 of those 6 fail within 4 years of purchase to due to power supply or hard drive or logic board issues. i have no interest in customizing the computer myself, but my history with the quality control here is so poor i cannot see buying one that will be that difficult to repair

what are my realistic options as an alternative ? fully loaded mac mini + a monitor (and which one ). actually look at dell all in ones (cannot even believe i actually typed that)

any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Did your iMacs fail outside of the 1year warranty?

Also, it seems to me that you may want to have your house's electrical system tested for noise or other issues. If you are blowing power supplies that might be causing it. It's surprising how much noise and power fluctuation exists in houses. Yet we have no idea because we can't hear or see it.

It seems to me that the guitar pick method would be more difficult than just using an exacto-knife. I realize the wifi antennas and mics are there but only at a certain depth.

I've worked quite a bit with this type of double sided adhesive tape and an exacto-knife cuts through it like butter. Obviously care will have to be taken near sensitive areas but I don't think it would be a problem with a careful hand.

However, I stand by my opinion that opening the case is such a rarity for the general public that it doesn't really matter.

taylord22

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012

I apologize for getting your hopes up. Twitter was abuzz launch night with the rumor that the 21.5 was glued vs the 27" being magnetized (there was even a detailed synopsis of why this was a necessity of design done by a reddit user).

I'm still hopeful that the 27" will be magnetized (obviously), and I feel a bit more optimistic than some.

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
I apologize for getting your hopes up. Twitter was abuzz launch night with the rumor that the 21.5 was glued vs the 27" being magnetized (there was even a detailed synopsis of why this was a necessity of design done by a reddit user).

I'm still hopeful that the 27" will be magnetized (obviously), and I feel a bit more optimistic than some.

I don't know if I should buy now or wait. Guess I could always cancel and reorder if I find out the 27 inch iMac can be easily opened and stick a 256 ssd in it for the same cost fusion drive.

NVRENUF!

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
PERTH, Australia
suck it up and just buy it.

A local shop here in Perth has said $150 to open it and change drive for me.
and keep all the apple warranty.

As i will be pulling my ssd from my current imac and putting in new one.

my friends one we are going to do our selves,

doesn't look hard, just annoying to have to glue it back

problems solved

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.