Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tiptizzle

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Audio /= video.

You can use audio APIs to play in the background, but you can't use them to play the audio from video files.

Apparently if you use the default video player you can do it, because jasmine does it. I might just use jasmine from now on. A few things I don't like about it, but at least the features are there.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I liked this part best:

‘enhanced’ AirPlay support

IOW, you can now stream video and audio, like, uh, every other app that supports AirPlay. With Google, a bug fix gets promoted to a "feature"... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

mofei1

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
very much still prefer jasmine. 720p over cellular (LTE) ftw. Why isnt this available on the youtube app!?

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
There was no reason for Apple not to include this in iOS 6. Apple has nothing that competes with this. The only reason I can think off it's that it's a 3rd party app, and Apple doesn't want to ship with 3rd party apps. Would it hurt Apple to ship with the most popular 3rd party apps like YouTube, Facebook and Twitter?

Youtube and Maps were NOT third Party Apps. They were Apple Apps written in collaboration with Google.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
It's probably the same reason they don't ship their computers with all the garbage that comes on a Windows PC - if you really want it, you can go get it.

If that were the case, Macs would only ship with Safari and Finder, and iPhones would only ship with the stock Phone SMS and App Store.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
There was no reason for Apple not to include this in iOS 6. Apple has nothing that competes with this. The only reason I can think off it's that it's a 3rd party app, and Apple doesn't want to ship with 3rd party apps. Would it hurt Apple to ship with the most popular 3rd party apps like YouTube, Facebook and Twitter?

The old YouTube app was built and maintained by Apple. Exactly how long SHOULD they build things for their competitors? Your assertion is ridiculous.

----------

It's about time. Leave to google to make IOS usable again. Now we have to wait for a usable mapping system.

You could always just use Android if you really find iOS "unusable." Clearly you'd be happier over there in that ecosystem, and we'd be better off as well without these ridiculous complaints.

Morehouse1982

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
Playstation sync

Still no Playstation video sync through this app or background audio play!?! Hope it comes in an future update. Looks like I will stick with the web app for Playstation sync and McTube for background audio play.

makotoisle

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2012

I hate to be "that guy", but I for one am glad they don't ship with the "most popular 3rd party apps." I rarely use Youtube and never use Twitter.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Vevo is better than youtube for music.

Installed the new YouTube app on my iPod touch 5 and it's terrific. No lag, no stutter, and while I think the external speaker on the touch leaves a lot to be desired, my little iHome speakers take care of that problem.

It's a keeper. Heck, if it weren't for the map thing, I'd seriously consider moving my iPad 2 to iOS 6.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
There was no reason for Apple not to include this in iOS 6.

It might have never been part of the deal for YouTube to be in iOS beyond 5. Could have been part of the deal since Apple wouldn't allow ads. Now that its an optional download from Google they can include them, and provided that they play by the rules they can have access to location etc info that they want (if we are willing to give it).

baslotto

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2007
Have you tried this before?

I deleted this app from my iPhone 5 a long time ago and replaced it by adding the website to my home screen and:

- I never lost Airplay since IOS 6
- I always had full screen videos on the iPhone 5
- I can choose to play videos at a lower and faster quality rather than waiting 5 min for them to load loosing interest when the reception is not optimal.

Try yourself people:
In Safari go to http://www.youtube.com. Once there click on the Safari Option menu at the center bottom of the phone (right above the home button) and click on "Add to Home Screen".

It creates an app that is more functional than the one they just released.

I hope this helps your user experience.
attachment.php

Last edited:

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
This, Gmail was just updated, and now we just need Maps. Why switch to Android when I got all the goodies on iOS?

You just said it. Apple Maps doesn't suck too bad, but for some people it might be enough to keep them away from iOS.

Google and Apple should kiss and make up and integrate street view AND flyover.

aschronicle

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2012
First Decent Thing Youtube has Done in Years

Today I got an email from youtube on all the crappy "improvements" they're making to youtube and it makes me sick. The apps are very solid though, and this is a real improvement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.