Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
So coming over from windows hated IE so would use Firefox, now wondering is Firefox commonly used on the Mac or is Safari way better?

Is it possible to import FF bookmarks over to the iMac?

Nov 28, 2010
located
It is probably not specific to the iMac, but more to Mac OS X, but Safari, Firefox, Opera and Chrome are valid alternatives to IE (which is not available for Mac OS X anymore anyhow).

Mister GGJstudios will probably have a list for your shortly of some of the many dozens of similar threads.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Nice GG kills it everytime :)

Look like Safari is the most used, any idea how I can transport Firefox bookmarks to Safari?

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
I would highly recommend Chrome opposed to Safari, Firefox, or any other browser. If you hate manually updating Flash or Java for Safari than Chrome is your best choice. These two plugins are already integrated into Chrome and you won't ever have to worry about exploits, since Chrome ALWAYS updates quicker than their competitors. Also, Chrome, in my opinion at least, has the best add-ons available, and it's CHROME fast!
(You can import your Firefox data to Chrome as well)

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
I use Chrome for most things, but it has some problems with Blackboard for school. Both Safari and Firefox do a better job there.

mapleleafer

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2009
Safari is the most used, probably because most people just use what's there. I've used them all over the years, abandoning this one because it doesn't do that, or trying that one because it does this. None have met all my wants. I currently use Firefox, but that'll probably change again. Maybe try a few and see how YOU like them.

WrrN

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
I think many Mac users just go with Safari.

I personally prefer Firefox, especially with its superior developer tools. I also find that it runs faster for me. Chrome is good too, but FF suites my web development needs. Safari seems too, I don't know, placid.

It's really personal preference when it comes to browser choice.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I use Firefox, it isn't the fastest but it works with ALL the sites i visit and has really good addons. Chrome and Safari don't work with certain sites very well. If you want speed Chrome is your best bet. Safari is crap imo.

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
Chrome has always been the fastest, but it also uses the most ram as it gives each tab/window its own process and somehow doesn't give that ram back until you quit. Sometimes I'll max out my 4GB of ram and have to close Chrome and that alone clears up 2GB. I do keep about 20 tabs open at a time though, so I'm not a normal user.

Safari just isn't quite there for me as a web developer. Not sure what it is, but it feels clunky compared to Chrome most of the time.

Haven't used Firefox as my primary in 2 years, because it was always much slower than Chrome. Maybe its improved now but I've gotten used to Chrome. I also like that Chrome saves my tabs whether I quit or if it crashes and even keeps me logged into gmail, etc when it reopens tabs. Safari always tends to reset logins (which I guess is actually better if you're using a laptop that could get taken from you easily)

cyclotron451

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2005
Europe
I have all three browsers: Chrome, Firefox and Safari next to each other on the Dock - Safari currently has a massive memory-leak - with some bad websites using up to 8GB of 'Safari Web Content' of the 10GB RAM on my Mac mini. This doesn't happen on Chrome! Problem with Chrome is that everything I type in Chrome appears in adverts around the webpage for the next few days - The Google Bubble effect!!!
I use Firefox as a TOR client for 'escaping the bubble' and with the TrackMeNot random website query script and an SSL Certificate analyser plug-in to inform me approximately how often my traffic is going through a Proxy with 'faked' CA Certificates....sigh...

I also have an Opera on hand in case none of the other 3 do what I want.

scruby

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2012
Netherlands
I always use google chrome. Safari is slow and just not as handy as chrome :')

Also be sure to install the adblock plus plugin to whatever browser you are using.(chrome,firefox)

iwan073

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2011
The Netherlands
I've been a long time Chrome user. But recently I gave Safari a try and I liked it.
I like the way it works together with my iPhone and iPad.

I like its appearance too.

I guess it all depends on what you get used to.

So give them all a try I'd say ;)

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
In my opinion, out of browsers I've used more than once, it goes:

Google Chrome > Safari > Mozilla FireFox > Internet Explorer.

I have touched Opera, but only a couple of times, not nearly as many times as the ones above, so I wouldn't count it.

However, after so much time with Chrome, I'm getting kinda tired of it. I'm thinking of switching to Safari...I don't think I want to spend that time though.

NVRENUF!

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
PERTH, Australia
Chrome is by far the best and only one i use.,

the fact it syncs with all my other devices including chrome on my ipad and iphone and my desktop at the office etc

love it

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
Safari currently has a massive memory-leak

Are you sure this is a Safari issue? Usually when I read about Safari and memory leaks, people find that by disabling extensions, specifically the adblock extension, the problem goes away.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I have all three browsers: Chrome, Firefox and Safari next to each other on the Dock - Safari currently has a massive memory-leak - with some bad websites using up to 8GB of 'Safari Web Content' of the 10GB RAM on my Mac mini. This doesn't happen on Chrome! Problem with Chrome is that everything I type in Chrome appears in adverts around the webpage for the next few days - The Google Bubble effect!!!
I use Firefox as a TOR client for 'escaping the bubble' and with the TrackMeNot random website query script and an SSL Certificate analyser plug-in to inform me approximately how often my traffic is going through a Proxy with 'faked' CA Certificates....sigh...

I also have an Opera on hand in case none of the other 3 do what I want.

Its been mentioned a few times that Safari will take up any available RAM and release it when another programme requires it.

Don't worry about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.