Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EPiCDiNGO

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
I have some problems I need some help with.

Here is my plan to get a 27" iMac with Fusion drive but remove the fusion and then install windows on the 128GB SSD and get an external 256GB SSD and install OS X on there then format the 1TB drive as ExFat to store data for both Windows and OS X.

Would this set up work as I do not know how the fusion works if it is possible ? I have been waiting for so long to get the new iMac but the Fusion drive was a let down for me as it will not work with Windows and that is essential in my purchase as I do not wont to pay the price for the SSD upgrade 750GB from apple. :apple:

jediDev

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012

Here is my plan to get a 27" iMac with Fusion drive but remove the fusion and then install windows on the 128GB SSD and get an external 256GB SSD and install OS X on there then format the 1TB drive as ExFat to store data for both Windows and OS X.

Would this set up work as I do not know how the fusion works if it is possible ? I have been waiting for so long to get the new iMac but the Fusion drive was a let down for me as it will not work with Windows and that is essential in my purchase as I do not wont to pay the price for the SSD upgrade 750GB from apple. :apple:

When Bootcamp creates a partition for a fusion drive, does it put the entire partition on the spinning disk?

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia

Yes that will work, im doing something similar, but i am going to install a 512GB SSD in place of the normal HDD. I will install windows on the 128GB SSD and OSX and apps on the 512GB SSD. Then i will get an external usb3 or thunderbolt drive for my media.

EPiCDiNGO

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
When Bootcamp creates a partition for a fusion drive, does it put the entire partition on the spinning disk?

Yes once u install Windows onto the Fusion drive it will not use any of the SSD :( so my only option for SSD other than pay the massive price of apple 250GB SSD is go for an external SSD.

----------

Yes that will work

Thanks this seems like the best option I have ATM or I may keep the Fusion drive for OS X and install windows onto the external SSD if its possible without 2 much trouble :apple:

qamaro

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
2 Internal SSD's on 2012 model?

Yes that will work, im doing something similar, but i am going to install a 512GB SSD in place of the normal HDD. I will install windows on the 128GB SSD and OSX and apps on the 512GB SSD. Then i will get an external usb3 or thunderbolt drive for my media.

torana355,

How are you installing windows on a internal 128GB SSD and OSX on an internal 512GB SSD at the same time? Or am I reading you wrong?

Are you planning on opening the unit? I haven't seen a tear down of the 27" so not sure if it will fit 2 SSD's. I also verified with Apple that the Fusion drives are physically fused together (i.e. if you take it out, its both that will go, you can't physically split them). Logically splitting them, I've been seeing people on the forums do they then add the external but, not 2 SSD's inside the unit. Or, is this on your older 24" model?

Just wanted to know if you heard something?

Thanks!

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
torana355,

How are you installing windows on a internal 128GB SSD and OSX on an internal 512GB SSD at the same time? Or am I reading you wrong?

Are you planning on opening the unit? I haven't seen a tear down of the 27" so not sure if it will fit 2 SSD's. I also verified with Apple that the Fusion drives are physically fused together (i.e. if you take it out, its both that will go, you can't physically split them). Logically splitting them, I've been seeing people on the forums do they then add the external but, not 2 SSD's inside the unit. Or, is this on your older 24" model?

Just wanted to know if you heard something?

Thanks!

Yes i will open it up and replace the factory HDD with a 512GB SSD and leave the factory 128GB blade style SSD in place, i will then break the fusion link in terminal so i have two logical drives. The drives are separate, they are not physically joint together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.