Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andrew83Ga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2009
but she lives in Spain for now and won't be here permanently for another few months.

Could I add a line to my verizon account and explain them the situation to put her line on hold until she gets here? I WILL call them obviously, but just wanted to run it by you guys first, instead of you know, actually calling someone and talking.

Theoretically, I figure that there is a $40 per line, per month fee, and any other charges would fall under my shared plan of 4GB. So if she's not using any data, the most I'd pay extra a month would be the 40 bucks right? Maybe they'd wave that if I explained the situation, but if not, she could use the unlocked phone over there and I'm only out 40 a month? Her hand me down iphone 4 from me is really on it's last legs.

thanks in advance

josh995

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2012
but she lives in Spain for now and won't be here permanently for another few months.

Could I add a line to my verizon account and explain them the situation to put her line on hold until she gets here? I WILL call them obviously, but just wanted to run it by you guys first, instead of you know, actually calling someone and talking.

Theoretically, I figure that there is a $40 per line, per month fee, and any other charges would fall under my shared plan of 4GB. So if she's not using any data, the most I'd pay extra a month would be the 40 bucks right? Maybe they'd wave that if I explained the situation, but if not, she could use the unlocked phone over there and I'm only out 40 a month? Her hand me down iphone 4 from me is really on it's last legs.

thanks in advance

You can do a seasonal suspend for like 10 bucks or something like that. But yeah, the only charge would be the extra 40 bucks a month, plus taxes and regulatory fees.

Why not wait until she gets to the US to add the line? If you put the account on hold, she wouldn't be able to use the phone anyway. :)

Andrew83Ga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2009
well if it's unlocked you can't use it in another country? I'll do the suspend thing I guess yeah. I would wait but she kinda needs a new phone now, and she may not be here for another 3 months

josh995

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2012
well if it's unlocked you can't use it in another country? I'll do the suspend thing I guess yeah. I would wait but she kinda needs a new phone now, and she may not be here for another 3 months

Do you mean you'd send it to her and she'd use it on a network over there, while having the Verizon account here suspended?

Eric374

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2006
Wichita, Kansas
My advice is to never buy a woman anything electronic and expensive until after the marriage is done. Been burned too many times to keep doing that.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Since it's for his fiancee, that's pretty close to being married.

There's still a chance they don't end up married. Although I sincerely hope that doesn't happen. The OP just wants to know if he can suspend service for a few months. A Verizon iPhone 5's SIM card slot is unlocked when you first buy it. He probably wants to add the line, buy the phone and send said phone to his fiance in Spain where she will presumably use it on a GSM carrier/prepaid SIM carrier until she comes back here. In those few months, service is $40 per month which isn't chump change and he probably wants to suspend/hold service but still buy the phone now and all.

I'm pretty sure if you called Verizon and explained to them your situation, you can probably "pre-buy" the phone but start your 2-year contract when your fiance gets back.

iAll

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
SE NH
My advice is to never buy a woman anything electronic and expensive until after the marriage is done. Been burned too many times to keep doing that.

ImaPoser.gif

Great advice!

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I understand what you are trying to do and if you are ok with paying the around $40 a month then you should do that so she can have a phone to use before she comes here.

Andrew83Ga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2009
thanks for all the comments and suggestions. To me, $40 isn't a killer if she gets a better phone and I'm done Christmas shopping for her in one fail swoop.

you can trim a micro sim into a usable nano sim correct?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012

thanks in advance

Are you in the USA? Doing a fiancee visa? I did that with my wife (married 11 months now). She was in Peru. I waited till she got out here before buying her an iPhone. Since Verizon charged basically $30/10 mins in Peru I figured it would be better to wait till she got here. So I got her an iPod Touch so at least we could iMessage and Facetime while we waited (forever) for the US Govt. to approve the Fiancee Visa process.

Verizon allows you to halt a line but it's kinda expensive - probably better than paying the $40/mo but not by a lot.

Just make sure she doesn't accidentally turn off airplane mode overseas - insane insane international charges. Hence why I went the iPod Touch route vs buying here and bringing it to her when I went to go get her.

Best of wishes :)

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Are you in the USA? Doing a fiancee visa? I did that with my wife (married 11 months now). She was in Peru. I waited till she got out here before buying her an iPhone. Since Verizon charged basically $30/10 mins in Peru I figured it would be better to wait till she got here. So I got her an iPod Touch so at least we could iMessage and Facetime while we waited (forever) for the US Govt. to approve the Fiancee Visa process.

Verizon allows you to halt a line but it's kinda expensive - probably better than paying the $40/mo but not by a lot.

Just make sure she doesn't accidentally turn off airplane mode overseas - insane insane international charges. Hence why I went the iPod Touch route vs buying here and bringing it to her when I went to go get her.

Best of wishes :)

you can suspend your line for free (up to 3 months..maybe 2 months) on verizon i think

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.