Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
5udabape.jpg

What do you all think iPad 4

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Depending on how you exposed the shot, that bleed might be barely visible at all.

ALL LCD panels have light bleed. The nano-structure "shutter" that blocks the light on a black pixel is never perfect and will always leak a little light. It's gotten a lot better; compared iPad 2 and 3/4 for example.

Right now the only display with zero light bleed is OLED, which is not yet ready for retina resolutions.

Your iPad is fine; stop fretting and enjoy it. :)

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
Depending on how you exposed the shot, that bleed might be barely visible at all.

ALL LCD panels have light bleed. The nano-structure "shutter" that blocks the light on a black pixel is never perfect and will always leak a little light. It's gotten a lot better; compared iPad 2 and 3/4 for example.

Right now the only display with zero light bleed is OLED, which is not yet ready for retina resolutions.

Your iPad is fine; stop fretting and enjoy it. :)

Even if its only on one side?

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
If it doesn't bother you then keep it. If it does, talk to Apple about getting it swapped out.

I swapped out my iPad mini for a small piece of hair/dust underneath the screen that bothered me. Also, it shouldn't have been there.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
can you take the picture straight up and down in-line with the screen? taking at an angle is very difficult to tell what is light bleed and what is angle tint

here are two examples of light bleed that i have experienced on iPads, of which i found to be unacceptable

Left - iPad Mini
Right - iPad 3

i don't have a picture of the iPad 4 i had, but it was so bad you could actually see the backlight LED bulbs

Attachments

• ipad mini light bleed 1.JPG
    ipad mini light bleed 1.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 405
  • ipad 3 screen bottom edge - light bleed.JPG
    ipad 3 screen bottom edge - light bleed.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 329

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
can you take the picture straight up and down in-line with the screen? taking at an angle is very difficult to tell what is light bleed and what is angle tint

here are two examples of light bleed that i have experienced on iPads, of which i found to be unacceptable

Left - iPad Mini
Right - iPad 3

i don't have a picture of the iPad 4 i had, but it was so bad you could actually see the backlight LED bulbs

Like this?
a9ydu8ev.jpg

90% brightness

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Like this? Image

90% brightness

yeah that's a better angle.

that amount of light bleed in unacceptable to me. return it for a brand new one, don't let them give you a brown box replacement.

since it's an iPad 4 i presume you purchased it within the holiday return period, so you shouldn't have any problems

i'm not sure which model you bought of the iPad 4, but you can save a decent chunk of $$$ by purchasing an iPad 3 refurb like i did. the refurb quality also tends to be superior to the initial rush production batches.

for example, an iPad 4 64GB LTE model is $829
i got the iPad 3 64GB LTE model for $679

since i know i am planning on flipping it a year from now for the iPad 5, it made no sense to get the new one and take a huge hit on resale. the iPad 3 will dip less a year from now than the new iPad 4

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
yeah that's a better angle.

that amount of light bleed in unacceptable to me. return it for a brand new one, don't let them give you a brown box replacement.

since it's an iPad 4 i presume you purchased it within the holiday return period, so you shouldn't have any problems

I had to pick it up a RadioShack. The guy said exchanges aren't a problem but if I get another one and he won't exchange would I have to call apple?

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
I had a closer look and I have a little bit of light bleed. Bottom right corner. Hardly noticeable though. Doesn't bother me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 212

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I had to pick it up a RadioShack. The guy said exchanges aren't a problem but if I get another one and he won't exchange would I have to call apple?

Yes. Radio Shack has their own return/exchange policies. Their terms have nothing to do with those of Apple. The warranty is the same as the warranty is through Apple either way. These aren't perfect products. They're really the epitome of mass market, and they are priced that way.

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
Yes. Radio Shack has their own return/exchange policies. Their terms have nothing to do with those of Apple. The warranty is the same as the warranty is through Apple either way. These aren't perfect products. They're really the epitome of mass market, and they are priced that way.

Could radioshack refuse my exchange over lightbleed if they do not think it is bad enough?

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Could radioshack refuse my exchange over lightbleed if they do not think it is bad enough?

They can refuse anything outside the scope of their return/exchange policy. Apple has a lenient policy on this. You can basically return or exchange no questions asked for whatever arbitrary reason. In the context of Radio Shack, you need to look at their return and exchange policies. Once those are exhausted you're dependent upon Apple's warranty policies. It's this way for any third party retailer. You're tied to their return policies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.