Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
But it's still got ads? Bleh, I'll stick with Jasmine. I'm not paying Verizon for the bandwidth Google uses to serve me ads I don't want anyways.

Plus Jasmine can play in the background :D

Marrakas

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2012
Finally, this is awesome

I'm still a bit undecided if this is better than the original apple youtube app or not though.

Breckenridge

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2006
Telluride, Colorado
The background streaming is an iOS limitation - nothing Google can do about it.

Correct. And that is going to be apple's downfall. Running applications, not apps, in the back ground is extremely important to me and battery life is not an issue especially on a tablet. I am really thinking about giving nexus tablet a shot. If I don't like it, I will just use it as a picture frame. If I do, the ipad will become my picture frame:cool:

abbstrack

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2008
SoCal
Airplay

Can someone, anyone tell me where Airplay is in the iPad app? In both landscape and portrait mode I see no option for airplay, and have been up down and all around in the settings/help section with no signs of it.

What am I missing?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I deleted this app from my iPhone 5 a long time ago and replaced it by adding the website to my home screen and:

- I never lost Airplay since IOS 6
- I always had full screen videos on the iPhone 5
- I can choose to play videos at a lower and faster quality rather than waiting 5 min for them to load loosing interest when the reception is not optimal.

Try yourself people:
In Safari go to http://www.youtube.com. Once there click on the Safari Option menu at the center bottom of the phone (right above the home button) and click on "Add to Home Screen".

It creates an app that is more functional than the one they just released.

I hope this helps your user experience.

Still prefer Jasmine. Much cleaner UI, much quicker since you don't need to reload the UI elements every time. Also web apps are prone to web page "refreshing".

PrayForDeath

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Can't choose video quality on the iPad, and thus cannot play videos at 1080p on my iPad 4. Back to McTube free version.

----------

Can someone, anyone tell me where Airplay is in the iPad app? In both landscape and portrait mode I see no option for airplay, and have been up down and all around in the settings/help section with no signs of it.

What am I missing?

The Airplay button only appears if you're connected to an airplay station.

abbstrack

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2008
SoCal
Can't choose video quality on the iPad, and thus cannot play videos at 1080p on my iPad 4. Back to McTube free version.

----------

The Airplay button only appears if you're connected to an airplay station.

I have my apple TV on, and nothing. only a share button in Portrait and Landscape. Airplay works fine from my 2012 mac mini, so I can't say that's the issue.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
Correct. And that is going to be apple's downfall. Running applications, not apps, in the back ground is extremely important to me and battery life is not an issue especially on a tablet. I am really thinking about giving nexus tablet a shot. If I don't like it, I will just use it as a picture frame. If I do, the ipad will become my picture frame:cool:

As others have said, it's not an iOS limitation. Apps on iOS have been able to play the audio of a video in the background since a while now.

It seems that Google decided not to include this feature, and even asked third party Youtube players like Jasmine to remove that feature.

Now I'd like to know, can the latest version of the Youtube player on Android play audio in the background?

thomaskc

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Don't forget the updated gmail app! It is worlds apart in difference from the old. It's so great and looks exactly like gmail does on web now

Born2run45

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2012
Why does this article feel the need to tell me that youtube is not a part of iOS 6. I really hat the lazy and unoriginal writing on this site.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch

So why can other YouTube apps play in the background? :p

joemod

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
Athens, Greece
I don't understand why the YouTube site still uses Flash to play videos by default! Don't we have better technologies available by now? It's silly how the only way to play video online is to use a 3rd party plugin that isn't available on mobile, so you need a special app…

Because Flash is the only way to display in video ads. Google hasn't found a way to embed ads (their main source of revenue in Youtube) in HTML5. That's why even if you have HTML5 enabled by default in Youtube, videos which have embedded ads play in Flash only.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
No background audio and no airplay in the background means a no go for me.

I prefer the other apps that let you airplay a video to Apple TV, then you can leave the app and browse safari while the video continues to play on the TV.

Last edited:

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
I've been using Safari or Jasmine for the last few weeks - the Google made YouTube app does not buffer correctly at all, very slow indeed. Has this update fixed that?

rollzst

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
No background audio and no airplay in the background means a no go for me.

I prefer the other apps that let you airplay a video to Apple TV, then you can leave the app and brose safari while the video continues to play on the TV.

completley agree, hope you are reading this Google!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.