Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Two reasons I'm wanting to abandon ship two weeks in; 1). Inability to stream football/NFL

Somebody, anybody - tell me, what am I missing?

I got a guy ready to trade me his new GS3 for my iPhone, someone tell me where I'd be going wrong.

Thx.
You'd be missing the pleasure of watching NFL on the beautiful large screen of the GS3.

I cannot imagine why anyone would want a tiny narrow iPhone 5 for that. I have both phones & only own the iPhone 5 because I've owned every model of iPhone. Actually right now it sits on a shelf, I'm using my iPhone 4S instead.

It has Google Maps & iOS 5, both are far better for my needs. Plus my main smartphone is my new Nexus 4. It's capable of so much more than iOS 6 is. Yet I do believe Apple will catch up to Android by iOS 7.

dennisjr631

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
Wrong. Verizon's tethering on an unlimited LTE plan is $30 a month. This also gives you unlimited tethering.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
You seem bent on insulting me. I'm sorry for you if you're offended by this thread. Others seem to understand where I'm coming from and I appreciate the conversation and insight. Thx all.

How did I in any way insult you? You spent a ton of money on an item which knew nothing about. You had no idea if it would fit your needs as a mobile device or not, you just bought it. Why? Overly influenced by advertising? Peer pressure? What?

As far as calling you a salesman's favorite customer that's a fact. An un-educated consumer will buy anything placed in front of them even IF it's not what they need to fit their usage. I.E. you buying a smartphone having no clue if it will let you teather or stream NFL games forcing you to come into a forum and complain about how your old phone did this or that and your new i5 can't. (of course it can, but you didn't take the time to educate yourself.... see what I'm getting at?)

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
I.E. you buying a smartphone having no clue if it will let you teather or stream NFL games forcing you to come into a forum and complain about how your old phone did this or that and your new i5 can't. (of course it can, but you didn't take the time to educate yourself.... see what I'm getting at?)

Isn't forums like this a place to go when you need help? I read the OP as a cry for help. That it, as far as he knew, wasn't possible to do what he wanted to without JB. He wanted to know if it was possible to do witohout JB and in that case how.

Instead of helping him some then jumps at him telling him he's uneducated and should have thought of that before he bought it. I was hoping for a more soft and helpful tone on this forum when I signed up. Instead it seams as you more often than not will be jumped at by one or more users if you start threads about "negative things" or something you don't know very much about. I've now noticed that in several threads lately.

Here some of us thought the forum was at least partly about getting help and clarify things. Maybe we all should try to make only positive threads and just glorify all the good things and never talk of the bad things or about things we don't know anything about and want to learn.

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
You'd be missing the pleasure of watching NFL on the beautiful large screen of the GS3.

I cannot imagine why anyone would want a tiny narrow iPhone 5 for that. I have both phones & only own the iPhone 5 because I've owned every model of iPhone. Actually right now it sits on a shelf, I'm using my iPhone 4S instead.

It has Google Maps & iOS 5, both are far better for my needs. Plus my main smartphone is my new Nexus 4. It's capable of so much more than iOS 6 is. Yet I do believe Apple will catch up to Android by iOS 7.

S3's beautiful big screen? LMAO

Please. The screen on the SGS3 is the most pathetic screen on ANY Android flagship device in 2012. It's dim, blue tinted and oversaturated in about ALL colours. I work for a phone shop and everytime anyone comes in to sign up for an s3 I cringe when I turn it on for them. Your comment is only salvaged by the Nexus 4.

I used Android before the iPhone5 and I think the iPhone5 is a fantastic device and it's so much better than any Android ICS phone. Not sure about JB phones but if my experience with my Nexus 7 and with being an ex Android fan boy, I can never buy the "Android is much better" BS. The same thing has been said since Android Ginger Bread even when it was even laggier than a slowmotion movie.

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
I got a guy ready to trade me his new GS3 for my iPhone, someone tell me where I'd be going wrong.

Thx.

Do not trade... If anything sell your iPhone, get the cash, then buy the s3..... The iPhone's value is more than the s3...

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
I will reiterate what others have said and say that its a Carrier issue. My iPhone 4 & 5 both on different networks can tether no problem, out of the box.

You would do better to ring Verizon and ask them how you can tether on your current plan.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
What do I need to do to stream and tether? Verizon can't be the problem, the LTE is flying - got to be my ignorance.

Verizon & Sprint iPhone 5s can't do data and voice simultaneously. Verizon allows tethering on all phones (unless you are a grandfathered unlimited customer - then you have to pay extra to tether) but only when not on a call.

Many of the Android device can handle both. I believe it's a limitation in how Apple implemented CDMA/LTE on the iPhone 5. It that's important, moving to S3 isn't a bad way to go.

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:

JimShorts

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
I will also go for Galaxy S3. That is very best phone than apple and also it has attractive screen and compared to iPhone that is good for me.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Two reasons I'm wanting to abandon ship two weeks in; 1). Inability to stream football/NFL and 2). Inability to tether my iPad mini - both of which I'm able to do with an Android device out the box. I know I can do the above with the iPhone if I jail break the phone but doesn't that void my warranty?

But I love this iPhone! Somebody, anybody - tell me, what am I missing? I've got the iPad mini, Apple TV, and iPhone 5 and I love all they do together really cool.

Thx.

jail breaking WILL void your warranty, but if you do a restore before you go to a Apple store and restore everything back to regular software the Jailbreak is off the device and your warranty is "back"

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I will also go for Galaxy S3. That is very best phone than apple and also it has attractive screen and compared to iPhone that is good for me.

The SIII screen is over saturated but that's the problem with AMOLED screens. You will never get the natural look like on the iPhone.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
Wrong. Verizon's tethering on an unlimited LTE plan is $30 a month. This also gives you unlimited tethering.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354735537.385341.jpg

This what I was referring to.

Perhaps the 4G hotspot has different features? This picture was taken from my Phone on the my verizon app.

sajakea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
How did I in any way insult you? You spent a ton of money on an item which knew nothing about. You had no idea if it would fit your needs as a mobile device or not, you just bought it. Why? Overly influenced by advertising? Peer pressure? What?

As far as calling you a salesman's favorite customer that's a fact. An un-educated consumer will buy anything placed in front of them even IF it's not what they need to fit their usage. I.E. you buying a smartphone having no clue if it will let you teather or stream NFL games forcing you to come into a forum and complain about how your old phone did this or that and your new i5 can't. (of course it can, but you didn't take the time to educate yourself.... see what I'm getting at?)

AFDoc I've gotten the help I was looking for. Don't hate. What's it to you if I do spend my money foolishly--what point do you make with that except that you have contempt for people who can do that. As long as I don't lose the value of my purchase I'm good. At the end of the day this consumers wants will be satisfied. Listen, neither Apple or Google needs you to block and tackle for their empires.

----------

When did that change?

On their Share Everything plan tethering is "free" - but of course with this new plan you pay for the amount of data used. Free tethering then becomes a carrot that promotes or encourages higher data plans and overage fees.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
On their Share Everything plan tethering is "free" - but of course with this new plan you pay for the amount of data used. Free tethering then becomes a carrot that promotes or encourages higher data plans and overage fees.

I'm pretty sure if you're in a unlimited data plan it starts a 2 gig. I believe the OP is on a unlimited data plan.

sajakea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
I'm pretty sure if you're in a unlimited data plan it starts a 2 gig. I believe the OP is on a unlimited data plan.

I'm the OP. You're correct. The everything plan starts at 2 gigs. And I am on the unlimited right now.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
He has a iphone 5 and has unlimted data. So teathering would be $30 a month for unlimited. You have a 3g phone so teathering is $20 a month for 2gbs. I thought I said this before ?

Why would 4G get you unlimited tethering for $30, but not a 3G plan? That really sucks verizon!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.