Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davida1

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2011
Atlanta
Erm? Siri is still in Beta as far as I know as it still does not work fully, and Apple Maps is also in Beta as it too is a broken and unfinished application. I am also not talking about the app store when mentioning these products as I believe I am correct in stating you cannot get Siri from the app store for one?

I was using irony, pointing out the double standard Apple applies to the App stores. Apple claims to be protecting consumers from beta software by disallowing it from third parties, but is guilty of it themselves. In reality, this means third party software (at least on the iApp store) can't be beta tested, therefore the first release could be considered a beta. One more reason to avoid the Mac App store.

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
Aight.. What a bummer. Maybe some developer makes a similar program for Lion. One can only hope..

I don't really see how. I can't imagine Apple would allow someone to develop an application that accessed the iMessage servers, and if someone figured out a way to do it, I'm sure Apple would go out of their way to stop it from working. Apple made it clear when the beta was released that they didn't intend to support Messages on Lion indefinitely.

Jimbode

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2007
Mine died today and reinstalled iChat on my 4 year old MacBook that I can't install Mountain Lion on.

Anderton

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2012
Sweden
Mine came up with a ”beta expired” just now. My Mac Pro is not able to run ML (without hacking) for some reason (it's faster and have a way better GPU than my MacBook Pro 2010 and Imac 24" 2007 that runs ML). So it's annoying.

Maybe someone can come up with a hack? Using Messages for just text messages.

LGgeek

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2010
APPLe just After $

Apple is doing this and breaking software in Lion to make people upgrade.

RIMiPod

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2006
Why is Messages limited to 10.8????

Apple has proven with the Messages Beta that we can communicate via 10.7 Lion.

I think the reason for this limitation is artificial in attempt to compel us to upgrade to 10.8 Mountain Lion. This is really stupid on Apple's part. This is taking away from users who enjoy what Apple makes and do--innovation.

We need to ask how competent Tim Cook is and why he has allowed this nonsense. I have been an avid user of Apple products and this is just a wake up call as to how Apple's business practice can be dark sometimes.

No wonder people hack their iPhones due to so many limitations. After 7 years of only using iPhones, BlackBerry 10 here I come.

h4lp m3

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
New Orleans
Dear Suckers;

As you can see, Messages runs just fine on Lion and thanks to you, we can now port it to Mountain Lion. While we appreciate you being our guinea pigs and giving us free market research, you will need to buy a new Mac to continue using this service.

Sincerely,
Apple :apple:

h4lp m3

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
New Orleans
We need to ask how competent Tim Cook is and why he has allowed this nonsense.

You can't pin that on Cook. Planned obsolescence is 100% a Job's creation and very deeply imbedded into the fibers of Apple. While Steve may be dead in the flesh, he still has an office on the 4th floor.

user1690

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2011
Searching....
Huh?

Sorry to revive this post but i discovered something im considering a bit odd.

So the story is as follows, got a Mac Pro 1,1 and unfortunately it cannot run 10.8 so im stuck with Lion, at least until i can get a newer graphics card and do some 'hackery'. Anywho, i wanted the Messages app, so i found the Beta version, installed it and damn! Got the expired error and it promptly quit.

In what i thought was a silly attempt, i changed the date of the system to 25/05/2012 and what the? IT RAN! ...Alas i only got as far as it running. Apple probably had the beta running on seperate servers because using my apple ID gives me the error "The server encountered an error proccessing..." now, this i assumed was because of a time sync error, my system is no longer in sync with apples so i change back to the proper year and sign in.

IT SIGNS ME IN! ... But the fun stops there because the server seems to realize whats going on and i get kicked back to "The server encountered an error..."

Oh well! Just thought i'd share :D

Edit: Creating a new Apple ID works, gets you further down the line to getting it working but as soon as your email is validated you get booted again. Damn. I give up! :p

Last edited:
Reactions: im_to_hyper

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
Huh?

Edit: Creating a new Apple ID works, gets you further down the line to getting it working but as soon as your email is validated you get booted again. Damn. I give up! :p

Hmmm... maybe there is some hope here. Perhaps someone with some skillz could figure out what is going on here, and discover a fix? We might need to somehow make the server think it is coming from a newer version of Mac OS X?

Could you try this and try it again to see if that makes a difference? Just change your version to 10.8.4 or something and see what happens?

http://navi74664.blogspot.com/2015/04/guide-change-os-x-version-to-what.html

user1690

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2011
Searching....
i'll try, but as far as i know Apple uses your system identifier, serial and other information for you to even get into iMessage on newer OS X versions and since Mac Pro 1,1's arent compatible (Natively anyway) i do doubt this will work. BUT WE SHALL SEE! ...Back shortly!

Edit: Aaaand back! Unfortunately didnt work. Same as above, would always error out.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.