Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is it worth it to get an iPad?

• Yes, get iPad Mini!

Votes: 38 40.0%
  • Yes, get iPad w/ Retina!

Votes: 46 48.4%
  • don't get any...

Votes: 11 11.6%

• Total voters

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I currently have an iPhone 5 and Macbook Pro Retina 13-inch... Do you guys think I should get an iPad as well? If so, which one?
Impossible to even attempt to answer with your OP. It's a subjective matter. You need to tell use what your needs/wants/priorities/preferences/budget/etc are if you want feedback.

Try browsing the countless other "Should I get an iPad?" and "Is an iPad worth it if I have X/Y/Z...?" threads.

Aug 5, 2012
I currently have an iPhone 5 and Macbook Pro Retina 13-inch... Do you guys think I should get an iPad as well? If so, which one?

With the info you have provided its easy to suggest the following:

Stop wasting peoples time and either provide relevant information to your needs and use or make the decision yourself

How old are you out of interest?

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I wonder why the reaction to iPads is so extreme. People either love or hate them, in most of the threads I've read here.

SeanR1

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Pennsylvania
If there was online discussion forums in 1908, people would of been asking if they should ditch their Horse for a Ford T-Model. A lot of people didn't see the need at first.

Modern, capacitive-based tablets are only 2 years old. A lot of people are still weighing up their use cases.

There wasn't any need to belittle the OP.

I agree!

----------

You're comparing a horse to a car. Both are two different things. One is a living animal that needs lots of attention and care, the other is just a car.

Horses are better off that now people aren't primarily using them as cars.

If you don't know whether you're going to use an electronic on a daily, or even weekly basis, then you shouldn't be buying it. What's the point in having a $400 device sitting around that never gets used?

The OP already has both an iPhone 5 and MacBook Pro, and the Retina version at that. If he bought the iPad, he would either use the iPad more, or he would, again, have a $400 device sitting around doing nothing. So it's a bad move either way.

So yes, I'm still going to say to the OP that you shouldn't buy any of the iPads. Wait until the next update and buy some apps in the Mac App Store in the meantime and get some good use out of your MacBook Pro.

Much better way to phrase it. IMHO.

token787

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
I have a new MacBook Pro 2012 and bought a iPad 4 for portability. I love the IPad 4. I carry it everywhere in my purse. Wish I would have bought this one first.

S

syd430

With the info you have provided its easy to suggest the following:

Stop wasting peoples time and either provide relevant information to your needs and use or make the decision yourself

How old are you out of interest?

22 judging by the user name.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I wonder why the reaction to iPads is so extreme. People either love or hate them, in most of the threads I've read here.

I find it's a general 'apple thing'. In the 'alternative OS' section, there are all these mindless arguments about iOS versus android. I think it would be easier to just admit up front that people have different preferences and one size doesn't fit all...

THFourteen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
London
Depends how much money you have really. If you get an iPad and you and your kids can't eat for a month then i'd say its probably not worth it to get an ipad.

gmhag

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011

I'm like you except i have a iphone 4s and MacBook Pro 13". I just bought an ipad 2....the 16gb wifi model. I work at a computer all day long then come home and ironicaly pick up a computer.....thats the extent i use my MBP and ipad. The MBP is superior in every way to the ipad except portability for my purposes. I only use my MBP and my ipad on my couch at home though so portability is a non-factor for me.

- MBP screen is bigger and to me better for surfing the web for that reason
- MBP props the screen at the perfect angle and stays that way, the ipad you have to physically hold it up unless you buy a stand
- MBP has a physical keyboard. You get tired of typing on the ipad keyboard
- ipad really sets itself apart from the MBP when you use apps. Only problem is that there arent that many great apps like on the iphone
-speakers are angled backwards on the ipad so you have to either use headphones or cup your hand while you hold it. Supposedly they've improved the new ones.

I mainly only pick up the ipad when someone else is using the MBP or when the MBP battery is drained. It was WORTH it for me though. If i were to do it again i would do a Mac+ipad4 or MBP+ipad mini.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Like you, I have a Mac laptop and an iPhone, but I also have an iPad. Of the three, I use my iPad the most--primarily for surfing the Web and consuming other media (books, movies, occasional game playing).

If I have real work to do, I tend to prefer to use my laptop--mainly because it has Office on it. I carry my iPhone everywhere and it substitutes for the iPad for web browing, email reading when I'm somewhere that would be inconvenient to take my iPad.

So, for me, the three are complimentary and well worth the expense of having each one. YMMV;)

+1

I use my iPad a lot in bed for surfing the internet. It is much more convenient than a laptop and much easier to view web pages than my iPhone. I really should start carrying it around more...then I would probably never use my iPhone except for calls.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I find it's a general 'apple thing'. In the 'alternative OS' section, there are all these mindless arguments about iOS versus android. I think it would be easier to just admit up front that people have different preferences and one size doesn't fit all...

Yes ..it would be good to hear more about what people do with the machines they choose, and less trolling about choices others make.

Cartaphilus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
We also had iPhones and various Apple computers which made us think hard about the iPad. Now we have both an iPad 3 and an Mini. Of all of them, I think the Mini is the most useful most of the time. First of all, I am in the camp that says there is no practical difference between the image quality on the mini and the image quality on the retina iPad. This is not a universally-held position, so I'd counsel you to look at a display Mini at a store. I'd suggest that you just immediately go to the Mini and see what you think of the screen, and only then compare it side-by-side with an iPad 4. You may find, as I did, that while you can tell the difference when the two are juxtaposed, when you are looking at the Mini there are no issues at all.

The size of the Mini is better than the full-sized iPad for transport and for holding for long stretches, and it seems a lot lighter than the specs would lead you to expect. Also, once you're using the Mini to do anything, you forget about the size of the screen. The iPhone screen feels cramped, but the Mini's does not.

If you'd use an iPad to read books the Mini is fantastic; easy on the eyes, and never tiring to hold. The full iPad is fine too, but the extra screen space hardly matters, and the weight does get annoying sometimes.

Unfortunately, the Apple Store experience is not the same as at home. If you're leaning toward it, though, take one home with you and see if and how much you use it. If you can't bear to part with with it, you've made your decision, and if you're indifferent you can still return it. At the price it's hard to justify owning one you'd hardly miss.

And as for asking advice on here, I think you're wise to gather the most information and opinion you can. Even if you were only considering an iPad it's helpful to hear what others have experienced, and I think this thread gives a good representation of opinions across the spectrum.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I do have an iPhone 4S, a 3rd generation retina iPad, a white MacBook, a Windows desktop computer and a Windows high-end laptop. Of all these products, the last that I bought was the iPad. I can honestly say that it may be useful depending on what you intend to do with it.

For me, it was not very useful, because I write a lot, and I want to use powerful apps, and I use multi-tasking extensively. The iPad was an in-between the iPhone and the computers. I always carry my iPhone with me, and I can't do that with the iPad. When I had to choose between the iPad and a laptop, I always took the laptop with me because of the power it provides.

But then again, it depends on your usage. My sister loves it. She uses the iPad to watch YouTube videos while in bed. If your pattern of usage is only one app, full screen, at a time, then the iPad is for you. If you don't mind having Microsoft Office or very powerful productive apps, then the iPad can even replace your computer if you buy a bluetooth keyboard.

JS3

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
I have a iphone 5 and a macbook pro 15. I bought a ipad when they came out and can tell you that I take my ipad everywhere I wouldnt take my macbook. And all the things that my phone screen is to small for I can do on my ipad. I now only use my macbook for important things like work and editing video and photos etc.

But travel or even going to family house I take my ipad. I wouldn't take my macbook and if I want to show my dad or somebody something on the net the iphone is to small and thats where ipad is also good.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I'd never buy the mini in its current form. Releasing it with an antiquated non retina display is such a slimey move and a big ******* You to those people who have to buy all things Apple.

I'd buy the ipad 4. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.