Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alksion

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Just out of pure curiosity, will the new MacPros use SandyBridge E processors or will there be something else? Also, if Apple has chosen to stick with Nvidia, is it possible well see 7 series GPU's in there? If so, I might hold off the iMac and see what's in store for this lineup.

Edit: I know they'll either use Sandy Bridge E / Ivy Bridge E, but I was wondering if most of you thought it would be higher probability that SB-E will be used over IB-E.

As for the GPU's, I know they'll use some form of GPU form AMD/Nvidia, but I know the MacPro has lacked power in the GPU area for some time. I would be greatly disappointed if the MacPros used AMD 7 series cards when the 8 series are about to be released. That is all.

Last edited:

chilly willy

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Just out of pure curiosity, will the new MacPros use SandyBridge E processors or will there be something else? Also, if Apple has chosen to stick with Nvidia, is it possible well see 7 series GPU's in there? If so, I might hold off the iMac and see what's in store for this lineup.

I'm thinking of doing the same given price points for new 27" iMacs.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Ivy-E last I looked was 3rd quarter 13..

So it'll depend entirely on when Apple decides to launch the computer but I also suspect sandy when/if there is a new MP.

alksion

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Ivy-E last I looked was 3rd quarter 13..

So it'll depend entirely on when Apple decides to launch the computer but I also suspect sandy when/if there is a new MP.

So the new MacPro will already have one year old hardware (CPU) when it comes out or am I looking at this wrong?

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
So the new MacPro will already have one year old hardware (CPU) when it comes out or am I looking at this wrong?

The only thing we know for certain is Apple previously used the latest processors for workstations and consumer graphics cards available when releasing a new Mac Pro.

Tim Cook said something will come in 2013.

That could be a new Mac Pro with Sandy-Bridge EP, it could have Ivy Bridge-EP. Depends on when that something comes and when Intel are actually shipping IB-EP. May not even be a Mac Pro.

For graphics cards go look at NVIDIA or AMD timelines.

alksion

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Interesting. All that I really want is a new and powerful GPU to play games on. I've been tempted to build a custom PC again, but ultimately, I would prefer to stay on a Mac / OS X

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
If you want to play games buy/build a PC that keeps the options open..

If you want/need OSX then it's time to take a peek a tonymac or keep your current mac.

I bounce between MP's and Hack's I have some strange emotional attachment to MP's but my hacks are just faster..

I need to sell one of the two right now to fund project TJ and still can't decide which I want to keep.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Only thing we are sure about.....

is Tim Cook saying/comenting "any for the Pros" in the 2013

Not less, not more. And then, we dont know for sure, if that product see the light, that will be called Mac Pro:(

I have heard/read many discussions about Kepler/Fermi cards natively supported in the next Pro

And for processors, Ivy-E sounds possible. Only thing I dont like these chips are slated for Q3 2013.....(maybe 9 months more of waiting game:()

:):apple:

alksion

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
I could see them waiting for Ivy E's. One, it allows them to put the latest Xeons inside the machine and two, it gives them another excuse to prolong the machine if they're having production issues.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I can't that puts them in iPhone iPad i.e. the important updates. I personally thing we'll see the "new" mac pro in late winter, spring that'll roll them into WWDC in June with the new iOS updates and the other important update Mac portables.

nox-uk

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2012

Is this confirmed or a highly educated guess? Because when the MacPro comes out, won't we be seeing Ivy Bridge E's coming out at the same time?

I believe I can help here, JesterJJZ's answer is spot on, and I can second this. The new MacPros will definately definately definately "have SandyBridge E processors or something else."

Nox

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Interesting. All that I really want is a new and powerful GPU to play games on. I've been tempted to build a custom PC again, but ultimately, I would prefer to stay on a Mac / OS X

You'd consider buying a new MP just for gaming? That's an expensive toy :) I'd build a PC.

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
Québec
Hello,

Gaming Mac Pro = Windows partition on another drive + good Nvidia card as detailed in this thread.

A lot more expensive than a gaming PC, but it's the best compromise.

Loa

alksion

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
No, not just for gaming. I have a 27' iMac right now and was considering a new 2012 iMac. I was also going to build a custom PC when Haswell came out.

If the new Mac Pros come out sometime by summer, I may hold out to see the new Mac Pro and sell my iMac and use the money I have for a custom PC and purchase a Mac Pro instead.

I could still have a beautiful machine / OS X, while still having strong desktop graphics to game when I want.

Best of both worlds.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
And for processors, Ivy-E sounds possible. Only thing I dont like these chips are slated for Q3 2013.....(maybe 9 months more of waiting game:()

The problem is you're interpreting Intel's release dates too literally. Look at the launch dates on Sandy Bridge E, yet nothing was shipping from the larger workstation oems for several months. There's also no sign of what will be available from Ivy. It could have mixed in Sandy options just like we saw with Nehalem and Westmere. It's too early to call.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

I was under the impression that Apple opted to not go with Sandy Bridge E because some higher-end variant that existed with Westmere and will again exist in Ivy Bridge E didn't in Sandy Bridge E. Now why they didn't at least upgrade the video cards in the Mid 2012 update, or, dare I say it, provide some form of Thunderbolt support, I have no friggen clue. But my guess is that no, you won't be seeing Sandy Bridge E Mac Pros and you will likely see Ivy Bridge E Mac Pros. As for video cards, there was rumor of AMD Radeon HD 7xxx series drivers being included in the latest beta for OS X 10.8.3, so likelihood is that's the card we'll be seeing. The Mid 2010 (and Mid 2012) Mac Pros have exclusively stuck with ATI/AMD, so it's likely that, given these tidbits, we'll see AMD Radeon HD cards in the next Mac Pros.

alksion

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
I was under the impression that Apple opted to not go with Sandy Bridge E because some higher-end variant that existed with Westmere and will again exist in Ivy Bridge E didn't in Sandy Bridge E. Now why they didn't at least upgrade the video cards in the Mid 2012 update, or, dare I say it, provide some form of Thunderbolt support, I have no friggen clue. But my guess is that no, you won't be seeing Sandy Bridge E Mac Pros and you will likely see Ivy Bridge E Mac Pros. As for video cards, there was rumor of AMD Radeon HD 7xxx series drivers being included in the latest beta for OS X 10.8.3, so likelihood is that's the card we'll be seeing. The Mid 2010 (and Mid 2012) Mac Pros have exclusively stuck with ATI/AMD, so it's likely that, given these tidbits, we'll see AMD Radeon HD cards in the next Mac Pros.

So? The iMacs and MacBook Pros were both using AMD for a few generations before they switched back to nVidia. The same could go for Mac Pros as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.