Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pinksteady

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
I used Apple's iPad mini smart cover for about 5 minutes before deciding it wasn't for me - awkward to hold, slips out of alignment with the ipad all the time and makes the mini thicker.

Therefore I'd like to find the thinnest and simplest sleeve possible - can anyone recommend one? I don't want to have anything around the device while I'm holding it, so a sleeve is my preferred solution, rather than a case or cover.

The only useful piece of functionality I'll be missing is the stand - so I was wondering if a) there are any sleeves with some rudimentary stand built in (unlikely I know) or b) any small standalone stands that fold up nice and thin and I can keep in a pocket/rucksack (and I'll use a separate sleeve).

Thanks for your help folks!

EDIT: Found a stand - this looks ideal - Nest by BlueLounge:

http://www.bluelounge.com/products/nest/

Last edited:

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
If you think the Smart Cover is too thick, you're out of luck cause anything else out there with a stand will make it more thick than the smart cover combo.

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2010
I take the Smart Cover off when I am using the iPad and don't need a stand.

I also don't like the way it feels to hold the iPad with the cover on.

I don't know of any thinner/better alternatives for you, though.

Pinksteady

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
Currently for the stand functionality I'm looking at either the BlueLounge Nest:

images

or the GOGO Stump:

images

For the sleeve, any will do really, that's the easy bit I think!

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2010
I'm an idiot. I think I misunderstood your use of "combo".

I thought you wanted some kind of sleeve/stand combo that is thin.

Not a separate sleeve and stand.

Random, but I purchased a cheap, but effective stand for my mini and fail to see the use after purchasing the Smart Cover.

It has a similar style to the second one you posted and it is black.

You can have it if you'd like. For free, of course. I can take photos of it later when I am not bed-browsing.

Pinksteady

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
I'm an idiot. I think I misunderstood your use of "combo".

I thought you wanted some kind of sleeve/stand combo that is thin.

Not a separate sleeve and stand.

Random, but I purchased a cheap, but effective stand for my mini and fail to see the use after purchasing the Smart Cover.

It has a similar style to the second one you posted and it is black.

You can have it if you'd like. For free, of course. I can take photos of it later when I am not bed-browsing.

No probably me just not being clear - I've updated the question. Thank you for your kind offer! I'll probably get a new one though (you know what its like with these new shiny gadgets!). Which did you get?

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2010
No probably me just not being clear - I've updated the question. Thank you for your kind offer! I'll probably get a new one though (you know what its like with these new shiny gadgets!). Which did you get?

No problem. I don't even know the brand. It was about $5 at Bed Bath and Beyond on Black Friday.

Some random gadget accessory company named iSomethingorother (of course).

I kept forgetting to take the stand with me, so I gave in and went with the Smart Cover, since I was standing in the Apple Store, bored.

ArcAngel66

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2009
Both the TwelveSouth BookArc and the TwelveSouth Compass are great iPad/iPad Mini stands.

The BookArc is more of a stand you keep on your desktop. While the Compass is extremely portable and meant to be so. It's a bit like a metal easel for your iPad. It can fold up and comes with a nice travel case. The thing is rock solid too - as in "it would hurt like heck to get hit in the head by one" type of rock solid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.