Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aseems

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2011
New Delhi, India
Many Thanks Simsaladimbamba!

This Line got me -

[*]Don't empty your Trash until you've determined that everything is working OK, in case you need to restore something you deleted by accident.

How will i know if I broke something by deleting it ?

How do i determine that everything is "working OK" - How long do i have to wait?

I don't want to brick my system ... :( :( :(

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
How will i know if I broke something by deleting it ?

How do i determine that everything is "working OK" - How long do i have to wait?

I don't want to brick my system ... :( :( :(
It's very unlikely you'll "brick" your system. You can usually tell right away, if your computer restarts and launches your normal apps successfully.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
I have been trying to do this, and have done it before but today when I search for the application the little + icon is a - and I cannot click it. Haven't seen this mentioned in the thread yet, I did go through the prior steps correctly I believe.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have been trying to do this, and have done it before but today when I search for the application the little + icon is a - and I cannot click it. Haven't seen this mentioned in the thread yet, I did go through the prior steps correctly I believe.
Complete steps 1-7 of those instructions, then take a screen shot of your Finder window and post it.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
Can you make a screenshot and attach it to your next post?

Can't click it.

Screen%20Shot%202013-01-01%20at%206.00.05%20PM.png

Nov 28, 2010
located
To go to Macintosh HD, go to Finder and press CMD+SHIFT+C and double click on the device called "Macintosh HD".
Then follow the steps outlined by Mister GGJstudios.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
Click on Macintosh HD before you search. You're looking in All My Files, which is a search result in itself. Re-read the instructions and don't skip any steps, as you have.

To go to Macintosh HD, go to Finder and press CMD+SHIFT+C and double click on the device called "Macintosh HD".
Then follow the steps outlined by Mister GGJstudios.

Great, got it thanks guys.

improver

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2013
While this thread is a few months old, I'll add this for those who might find it in a search:

To manually remove an application and all associated files:
  1. Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then make sure the app you want to remove is not running. If it is, quit the process before proceeding.

2. Launch Finder (see image below) and search your entire hard drive for the app name (hopefully unique, such as Skype)

3. In Finder, select View > "as List", if you haven't already done so. Do not use "as Icons" for this procedure.

4. You can narrow the search to specific folders or search your whole Mac, which is preferred

5. In Snow Leopard and earlier, click "File Name" instead of "Contents" for better results.
    In Lion and later, click the + button below the search term, then select "Name" "Contains" and enter the app name. (see image)

6. Click the + button below the search term to add criteria, then click the search criteria drop-down and select "Other...", then "System files"

7. Click the "aren't included" and change to "are included"

8. Sort by name, kind, date, etc. to identify components of the app, such as folders, .plist files, cache files. etc.

9. Delete all files and folders related to the app.

10. Don't empty your Trash until you've determined that everything is working OK, in case you need to restore something you deleted by accident.

11. A reboot might be necessary to completely remove some apps.

Click here to see a video demonstration of this procedure, created by simsaladimbamba.

Edit: In some rare instances, an app may create hidden files or folders. In such instances, follow steps 6 and 7, then repeat those steps to add another criteria, this time choosing "File visibility" > "Visible or Invisible". Then proceed with the remainder of the steps.

Maybe I am missing something but my system appears differently so I can not follow the steps above. As you can see from the screen shot I uploaded there is no option for MacHD is 'This Mac' the same? I notice in the video clip someone posted that they had both This Mac AND a Mac HD option and chose the Mac HD option.

Is this the reason that when I search I only get shown 1 file?

I did ask apple support how to delete things but they told me to drag to trash but it seems that things I have installed that are not from app store can not be dragged to the trash (certainly I am unable to it just won't let me).

I have a number of programs I want to uninstall fully and remove all of the related files so really need to learn the best way of doing it, any help would be most appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-26 at 16.39.59.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-26 at 16.39.59.png
    92.5 KB · Views: 213

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Maybe I am missing something but my system appears differently so I can not follow the steps above. As you can see from the screen shot I uploaded there is no option for MacHD is 'This Mac' the same? I notice in the video clip someone posted that they had both This Mac AND a Mac HD option and chose the Mac HD option.

Is this the reason that when I search I only get shown 1 file?

I did ask apple support how to delete things but they told me to drag to trash but it seems that things I have installed that are not from app store can not be dragged to the trash (certainly I am unable to it just won't let me).

I have a number of programs I want to uninstall fully and remove all of the related files so really need to learn the best way of doing it, any help would be most appreciated.

You are on Mavericks, so it looks different than some of the the older screenshots in this thread. See my screenshot below from Mavericks.

Click "This Mac" and that will search Macintosh HD as well as any attached drives.

I think the bit you are missing is you have not told Finder to include "System files". Just click the plus next to save and add system files are included like in my screenshot. You don't need that "kind" option you have there.

You can delete App Store apps this way by just selecting the app and hitting command-delete then you will be prompted for your admin password.

cYmDXl1.png

zarmanto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2014
Around the corner from the 7/11
While this thread is a few months old, I'll add this for those who might find it in a search:

UPDATE for OS X 10.9 Mavericks ...

I just registered for this forum solely for the purpose of saying this: You rock, man. I was searching Google for "Uninstall LogMeIn" (as they have dropped their non-commercial offering entirely) and had no luck at all until I got here; I just used your instructions to dump the last vestiges of LogMeIn from two of my Macs. Thanks!

Last edited:

tm0000

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2014
Hi,

I’m trying to use these instructions to fully delete programs, but I can’t figure out how to search in the library. The note on top of the instructions say "on this version of OS X, Finder may not produce search results from Library folders unless the search is started in the Library folder, even if System Files are included in the search criteria. You can either perform the following search once for your entire computer, then repeat it from the Library folders, or you may elect to use a Finder alternative app until this issue is resolved.”

So, can you please help me?

Thank you very much! I appreciate your help.

UPDATE for OS X 10.9 Mavericks: It has been discovered that on this version of OS X, Finder may not produce search results from Library folders unless the search is started in the Library folder, even if System Files are included in the search criteria. You can either perform the following search once for your entire computer, then repeat it from the Library folders, or you may elect to use a Finder alternative app until this issue is resolved.

To manually remove an application and all associated files:
  1. Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then make sure the app you want to remove is not running. If it is, quit the process before proceeding.

In some cases, when you try to quit a process, it automatically relaunches. If that is the case, you can check the following locations for apps that automatically launch on startup and delete any you don't need/want, including the app you want to delete:

• System Preferences > Users & Groups > yourusername > Login Items (SL and older: System Preferences > Accounts > yourusername > Login Items)
    • In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > /Library/LaunchAgents
    • In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > ~/Library/LaunchAgents
    • In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > /Library/StartupItems

Once you've removed the app from the startup list, restart your Mac and proceed with the uninstall process below.

2. Launch Finder (see image below) and search your entire hard drive for the app name (hopefully unique, such as Skype)

3. In Finder, select View > "as List", if you haven't already done so. Do not use "as Icons" for this procedure.

4. You can narrow the search to specific folders or search your whole Mac, which is preferred

5. In Snow Leopard and earlier, click "File Name" instead of "Contents" for better results.
    In Lion and later, click the + button below the search term, then select "Name" "Contains" and enter the app name. (see image)

6. Click the + button below the search term to add criteria, then click the search criteria drop-down and select "Other...", then "System files"

7. Click the "aren't included" and change to "are included"

8. Sort by name, kind, date, etc. to identify components of the app, such as folders, .plist files, cache files. etc.

9. Delete all files and folders related to the app.

10. Don't empty your Trash until you've determined that everything is working OK, in case you need to restore something you deleted by accident.

11. A reboot might be necessary to completely remove some apps.

Click here to see a video demonstration of this procedure, created by simsaladimbamba.

Edit: In some rare instances, an app may create hidden files or folders. In such instances, follow steps 6 and 7, then repeat those steps to add another criteria, this time choosing "File visibility" > "Visible or Invisible". Then proceed with the remainder of the steps.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi,

I’m trying to use these instructions to fully delete programs, but I can’t figure out how to search in the library. The note on top of the instructions say "on this version of OS X, Finder may not produce search results from Library folders unless the search is started in the Library folder, even if System Files are included in the search criteria. You can either perform the following search once for your entire computer, then repeat it from the Library folders, or you may elect to use a Finder alternative app until this issue is resolved.”

Thank you very much! I appreciate your help.

Since Mavericks the method of using Finder explained in this thread no longer works without manually navigating to the specific folder you want to search over and over.

Just install the app iFileX to do the searches and not have to bother with this work around. Much easier.

tm0000

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2014
I noticed an app called "DiscCatatlogMaker Re" on my macbook a few days ago. I did not install it.

When using iFileX to search for the app, it says there are no matches found. But finder does find the app. What should I do?

Since Mavericks the method of using Finder explained in this thread no longer works without manually navigating to the specific folder you want to search over and over.

Just install the app iFileX to do the searches and not have to bother with this work around. Much easier.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I noticed an app called "DiscCatatlogMaker Re" on my macbook a few days ago. I did not install it.

When using iFileX to search for the app, it says there are no matches found. But finder does find the app. What should I do?

From here it looks like that app comes with Toast. Did you install Toast?

Where are you seeing it in Finder?

If it can be seen in Finder a search like this in iFileX should show it.

tUmakUo.png

tm0000

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2014
Yes, I did install toast. Do you think I need DiscCatalogMaker?

So, with iFileX, I just follow the instructions that are in this thread? ..Search name contains "app name", system files "are included" and files visibility - "visible or invisible".

I don't have to search the library, right?

Thank you very much!

From here it looks like that app comes with Toast. Did you install Toast?

Where are you seeing it in Finder?

If it can be seen in Finder a search like this in iFileX should show it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-21 at 3.03.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-21 at 3.03.12 PM.png
    539 KB · Views: 226

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yes, I did install toast. Do you think I need DiscCatalogMaker?

You can see here what it does and decide. I know it is not something I would ever use.

So, with iFileX, I just follow the instructions that are in this thread? ..Search name contains "app name", system files "are included" and files visibility - "visible or invisible".

I don't have to search the library, right?

No... you don't need to mess with any of those settings with iFileX. Just the default setup like in your screenshot will find anything on the disk with that name.

Where exactly in Finder are you still seeing DiscCatalogMaker that makes you think it is still on the drive?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
A bit of clarification is due here. You don't have to manually navigate to specific folders and search over and over. This change in Mavericks simply means that in addition to searching your entire computer for the app to be deleted, you must perform one additional search by first navigating to the Library folder, then performing the described search there. That will search the entire Library folder, including all subfolders. While you may prefer to use a 3rd party app instead, it isn't required to get the desired results.
I just now saw your post. You can either continue working on the iFileX method, or simply go back and search from the Library folder in Finder, as described above. As stated in the post you quoted:
You can either perform the following search once for your entire computer, then repeat it from the Library folders, or you may elect to use a Finder alternative app until this issue is resolved.
That means you go to your Library folder (in Finder, hold the Option key down while you click Go > Library). Now, perform your search with System Files included.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
A bit of clarification is due here. You don't have to manually navigate to specific folders and search over and over. This change in Mavericks simply means that in addition to searching your entire computer for the app to be deleted, you must perform one additional search by first navigating to the Library folder, then performing the described search there. That will search the entire Library folder, including all subfolders. While you may prefer to use a 3rd party app instead, it isn't required to get the desired results.

I did not say it was required. What I said is accurate. If you want to make sure you get everything in Finder, you have to do multiple searches (searching over and over). That can be avoided by using iFileX and doing just one search. No clarification is necessary.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I did not say it was required. What I said is accurate. If you want to make sure you get everything in Finder, you have to do multiple searches (searching over and over).
It's not multiple searches. It's two searches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.