Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
UK
So, I'm guessing that everyone who has been criticising the new iMac design has seen it in person right and not just on the cusp of every word written on the blogs?

The amount of drivel I've read about the back being huge is laughable.

Photo's from the Apple Store, Bluewater, yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_4279.JPG
    IMG_4279.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_4280.JPG
    IMG_4280.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 508

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
haven't you noticed that some people on here simply look for something to moan about? :rolleyes:

Same kind of people that if they have nothing to complain about, they'll make something to complain about.

Sure I think it's pretty ridiculous to make a desktop Thinner & Lighter, but it's a gorgeous machine.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I think the design is gorgeous. and I welcome the thin edges and the bulged back. :)

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
The amount of drivel I've read about the back being huge is laughable.

Yeah, I have to agree.

It really isn't that big at the back, and even so, who cares if it's big at the back?

I saw a blog post which said on the cons section:
  • It has a big bulge at the back
  • It doesn't have a touchscreen

I think it may have been Cnet that wrote that!!! How on Earth could anyone write about a touchscreen?!

Also I had no idea that Bluewater had an Apple Store.

pubjoe

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
The criticism is due to the 5mm thinness hype, when they're actually not far off the size of the old ones, it's just the edges are tapered out. It's like if I pinched a bit of flab at the side of my waste and said I'm 5mm thin.

Also, from close up the "thickness is almost impossible to gauge" due to the trick of perspective. However, they do look fatter from a distance, notably when Phil Schiller coyly turned the new imac to it's side he seemed aware that the distant cameras would pick that up - he had been avoiding turning it more than a few degrees round while he praised the thinness.

The reality is, it's not that much thinner. But that's a good thing - for one, we still want some decent hardware in there (which it has), but what is really excellent about the design is that the removal of the optical drive has allowed for a single fan design which directs air to the back of the bulge.

It does look very very nice. I can't resist upgrading to this model myself. But I do understand why people are mocking the form. Apple massively over-hyped the thinness, so people are just having a bit of fun teasing.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Yeah, I have to agree.

It really isn't that big at the back, and even so, who cares if it's big at the back?

I saw a blog post which said on the cons section:
  • It has a big bulge at the back
  • It doesn't have a touchscreen

I think it may have been Cnet that wrote that!!! How on Earth could anyone write about a touchscreen?!

Also I had no idea that Bluewater had an Apple Store.

The bulge at the back is no bigger than the previous iMac I suspect just a bit more noticeable and certainly nothing to complain about :)

That touch screen comment is Ludacris. haha. If OSX doesn't support a Touch Panel then where is the issue? Bizzare.

Yeah, nice store at Bluewater. Right next to Hollister and Starbucks. Hipsters dream. :D

----------

The criticism is due to the 5mm thinness hype, when they're actually not far off the size of the old ones, it's just the edges are tapered out. It's like if I pinched a bit of flab at the side of my waste and said I'm 5mm thin.

Also, from close up the "thickness is almost impossible to gauge" due to the trick of perspective. However, they do look fatter from a distance, notably when Phil Schiller coyly turned the new imac to it's side he seemed aware that the distant cameras would pick that up - he had been avoiding turning it more than a few degrees round while he praised the thinness.

The reality is, it's not that much thinner. But that's a good thing - for one, we still want some decent hardware in there (which it has), but what is really excellent about the design is that the removal of the optical drive has allowed for a single fan design which directs air to the back of the bulge.

It does look very very nice. I can't resist upgrading to this model myself. But I do understand why people are mocking the form. Apple massively over-hyped the thinness, so people are just having a bit of fun teasing.

But in person the bulge is hardly noticeable. My pictures do it little justice. I think making it thinner was the only way they could go for a re-design that everyone was hoping for and now its done, they complain.

oh well :)

pubjoe

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
Yeah, I should have added, "most" people are just teasing. There's always a few prats who take everything too seriously.

I'm yet to see it in person - I'm waiting for my 27" to deliver. I get that photos don't do it justice, and I notice that it always looks better in photos with a close up perspective.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I have no complaints about the design I just want a retina display oh has apple changed its boot up chime on the new iMac as I was watching some guy on YouTube do a boot up test on the new iMac and the chime sounded different completely different to all gen of iMacs.

pubjoe

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
Oh I hope not. The chime makes me feel warm inside. In fact, if they've changed it that's a deal-breaker, goodbye Apple, I'm out. :D

Usually the different models' speakers make the chime sound a bit different. Honestly though, I do hope that's all it is that you've noticed. I'm going to search for imac booting videos now to check.

lexar

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2011
I saw it at the Apple store the other day, and although its "nice", I certainly don't think its worth all the hype about it !
I have the iMac 2011 and I would much rather have the DVD drive and SD slot on the side.

Not too many people come to my office and swivel my iMac around to check the edges :D

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I saw it at the Apple store the other day, and although its "nice", I certainly don't think its worth all the hype about it !
I have the iMac 2011 and I would much rather have the DVD drive and SD slot on the side.

Not too many people come to my office and swivel my iMac around to check the edges :D

Screens better too.

lexar

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2011
Screens better too.

Why is the screen better? that I did not notice at all.
My screen is not in front of a bright light so the reflection makes no difference to me.
Resolution is exactly the same and I did not notice that the screen is any different then my current model.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
My screen is not in front of a bright light so the reflection makes no difference to me.
Resolution is exactly the same and I did not notice that the screen is any different then my current model.

As my imac is about 2 in half years old and the design looks pretty much the same besides the thickness and speaker grill. i prefer to wait for a retina display for those that say u got a long wait i say it is only a matter of time I am leaning towards 2014 with 4k resolution.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
UK

75 per cent less reflection.

Full lamination has a second major benefit: it eliminates the reflection of light off the LCD panel and off the back of the display’s cover glass. But we also figured out how to reduce reflection off the front of the glass without compromising colour quality. Instead of applying an anti-reflective coating to the glass in a conventional way, we adapted a process used on smaller surfaces like camera lenses and fighter pilots’ helmets. It’s called plasma deposition, and it involves coating the glass with layers of silicon dioxide and niobium pentoxide so precise and so thin they’re measured in atoms. The result: an astounding 75 per cent reduction in reflectivity — and vibrant, accurate colours.

Its a very nice screen.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
UK
This is pretty much an accurate representation.

Attachments

• iMac.PNG
    iMac.PNG
    13.5 KB · Views: 1,456

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
As my imac is about 2 in half years old and the design looks pretty much the same besides the thickness and speaker grill. i prefer to wait for a retina display for those that say u got a long wait i say it is only a matter of time I am leaning towards 2014 with 4k resolution.

Yep, late 2014 early 2015 is probably a good bet from looking at projected monitor resolutions the coming years from Intel. Still, I'd rather have the great, new iMac now, as the wait could easily take two full years - at least before the 27'' is given retina treatment. There could be a smaller retina iMac model (seperate from the standard iMacs) sooner, who knows...

aidancbrady

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
OK nice marketing quote! I bet it can make coffee too ;)

But in reality unless you are in front of a window or bright light it won't make a difference.

Why are you arguing? You already have said you have a perfectly good 2011 iMac, why does this man's appreciation for a new computer's screen bother you?

- A forum newbie

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
UK
OK nice marketing quote! I bet it can make coffee too ;)

But in reality unless you are in front of a window or bright light it won't make a difference.

The screens colours were fantastic. I didn't bring my 2010 iMac with me to compare so I can't say if there is a lot of difference but there will be an improvement. There has to be.

wpalomine

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2010
I have to agree. In person, the design was surprisingly better than expected. However, the screen being much better seem exaggerated.

IMO the design shines if the iMac is on a table parallel to the wall or on a counter, where it can be seen from its side. Not as much if on a corner table/stand with the back of the iMac facing the corner of the room.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.