Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GenderFi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
I made the plunge and purchased a new SSD to replace my current HDD in my MacBook Pro 17" (early 2011). Is there a simple way to move my library media from my HDD to the new SSD? I have a 500MB external HDD used as a time machine. However, I'm going to do a clean install on the SSD and want to pick and choose what will go on the SSD.

I've heard of the option of holding down the option key and opening iTunes and choosing the library that way. I've never tried it though, how well does it work?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I made the plunge and purchased a new SSD to replace my current HDD in my MacBook Pro 17" (early 2011). Is there a simple way to move my library media from my HDD to the new SSD? I have a 500MB external HDD used as a time machine. However, I'm going to do a clean install on the SSD and want to pick and choose what will go on the SSD.

I've heard of the option of holding down the option key and opening iTunes and choosing the library that way. I've never tried it though, how well does it work?

If you are using Timemachine it is going to be complicated, the reason is this:

Lets assume you have 1000 songs, 100 of them you copy to the SSD, you have two libraries(Option key on iTunes Startup), this will work, BUT what if the Timemachine syncs, it will sync those 100 songs back and you have 2 copies!

100 songs is not bad, but if this is 10.000 out of your 30.000 that becomes a problem.

GenderFi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
If you are using Timemachine it is going to be complicated, the reason is this:

Lets assume you have 1000 songs, 100 of them you copy to the SSD, you have two libraries(Option key on iTunes Startup), this will work, BUT what if the Timemachine syncs, it will sync those 100 songs back and you have 2 copies!

100 songs is not bad, but if this is 10.000 out of your 30.000 that becomes a problem.

Ok, I figured it would be complicated using Time Machine. How about if I copy the iTunes media folder to the external HD and then transfer back the copied iTunes media into the empty clean install of the SSD. Then try the option key iTunes thing. Will that work?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
How about if I copy the iTunes media folder to the external HD and then transfer back the copied iTunes media into the empty clean install of the SSD. Then try the option key iTunes thing. Will that work?

I try to understand, but somehow I don't get it.
If you copy the whole folder it does not make sense to me, if you copy it partly it also does not make sense to me.

I know what you want but it always will conflict if you use Timemachine.

Why just not point iTunes in Preferences to the external disk?

GenderFi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
I try to understand, but somehow I don't get it.
If you copy the whole folder it does not make sense to me, if you copy it partly it also does not make sense to me.

I know what you want but it always will conflict if you use Timemachine.

Why just not point iTunes in Preferences to the external disk?

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my wording, sorry. Forget about the Time Machine. Right now I am just planning to copy the iTunes media folder off of the old HDD onto the external HDD. When I install the new SSD, I will copy the iTunes media folder into the clean installed iTunes and point it that way. Which is what I assume your last sentence suggested.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Perhaps I wasn't clear in my wording, sorry. Forget about the Time Machine. Right now I am just planning to copy the iTunes media folder off of the old HDD onto the external HDD. When I install the new SSD, I will copy the iTunes media folder into the clean installed iTunes and point it that way. Which is what I assume your last sentence suggested.

I went to bed (GMT +7)yesterday, yes you can do what you said above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.