Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hunterheath33

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
So I have an iPod touch a laptop and a messaging phone. I'm in high school and really want an android since iPhones aren't sold on my carrier(us cellular). I am willing to pay the data plan but also need several reasons to justify it to my parents. I said for school but they want specifics. Also since my parents are divorced and my moms getting rid of Internet at her house, I really need a smartphone to communicate with my dad. Please help!

cnguyen0320

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2012
Lol getting rid of the internet? How will she live...?

On a seriouser note, tell them you need data for school and that a lot of your classes are requiring you to be able to quickly connect to the web and get answers. But really, if you are in high school, internet is pretty much a must have.

hunterheath33

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
I think so too! My mom is crazy but she already has a blackberry so she could care least about the Internet. And your right. My classes do allow us to use our Internet connected phones for school work. Thanks

----------

Another thing that I was thinking of is getting rid of my texting plan since I don't really care for texting and just use Facebook instead. I think that might make my dad come around to the data plan better and aren't there free texting apps that use the Internet to text?

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I think so too! My mom is crazy but she already has a blackberry so she could care least about the Internet. And your right. My classes do allow us to use our Internet connected phones for school work. Thanks

----------

Another thing that I was thinking of is getting rid of my texting plan since I don't really care for texting and just use Facebook instead. I think that might make my dad come around to the data plan better and aren't there free texting apps that use the Internet to text?

There are a ton of instant messaging apps but the people you're messaging have to have it as well. That shouldn't be an issue because apps like WhatsApp and kik are cross-platform and your friends with iPhones or BB's can use them too.

cnguyen0320

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2012
There are a ton of instant messaging apps but the people you're messaging have to have it as well. That shouldn't be an issue because apps like WhatsApp and kik are cross-platform and your friends with iPhones or BB's can use them too.

The problem with whatsapp is that it is $.99 and not everyone is willing to get that.

Check out google voice. I think it lets you text for free. Another problem with getting rid of texting is if someone wants to text you and they have your phone number, they may assume that you use the same number to text and call and without texting you may not receive the msg or you'll be charged when they try to contact you. I've stayed away from texting apps because it's a pain explaining to people to text me at a different number than they would call me. I'd suggest you just lower your texting limit if you don't use it too much or just pay per text.

hunterheath33

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
Ok. I could probably lower my texting limit. I mostly Facebook so the occasional text won't be so bad.

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
since you're in high school. Get a part time job and tell your mom you'll pay for the data package.

hunterheath33

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
Ok thanks everyone again. I think I'm getting a job anyway and will hopefully be getting a phone with the data package soon! Thanks so much for all of your help! :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You need a phone to communicate with your dad, not an internet connection. I see absolutely no reason for a child needing a data plan in school. If the school wants you on the internet, they will provide the connection.

You said you mostly use Facebook, that alone suggests you don't need the data plan for school. The suggestion to get a job is the best one. If your mom is struggling so much that she won't have internet then I don't think asking her to pay for a data plan is fair.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
You need a phone to communicate with your dad, not an internet connection. I see absolutely no reason for a child needing a data plan in school. If the school wants you on the internet, they will provide the connection.

You said you mostly use Facebook, that alone suggests you don't need the data plan for school. The suggestion to get a job is the best one. If your mom is struggling so much that she won't have internet then I don't think asking her to pay for a data plan is fair.

I would tend to agree with that. My kid's school expects them to access the internet...but it provides a wifi connection for them. I would have a hard time seeing where a school would expect each kid to have their own data connection.

This sounds a lot more like a 'would like to have' with school being used to rationalize it than a 'needs to have.'

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I would tend to agree with that. My kid's school expects them to access the internet...but it provides a wifi connection for them. I would have a hard time seeing where a school would expect each kid to have their own data connection.

This sounds a lot more like a 'would like to have' with school being used to rationalize it than a 'needs to have.'

*high five* for adulthood!

Signed,
Old. :D

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Internet at home isn't a requirement but any student is going to be at a severe handicap without it.

When I was in school I was expected to type certain homework assignments. If you told the teacher you didn't have the means to do so they would tell you to find the means or fail. That was from a time before everyone had to be treated like babies....

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Internet at home isn't a requirement but any student is going to be at a severe handicap without it.

When I was in school I was expected to type certain homework assignments. If you told the teacher you didn't have the means to do so they would tell you to find the means or fail. That was from a time before everyone had to be treated like babies....

Understood, but I believe most schools have a library, no?
Trust me, no internet sucks but if his mom is not getting it because of affordability then paying for a data plan seems absurd.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Let's be honest, you won't be using a smartphone for much schoolwork. But if you find creative ways to sway your parents then congrats to you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.